"Best" connector for DC power to audio stuff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you go for 4 pole XLR there are industry standards for 12V pinning, please do not put power on a 3 pin XLR.

Definitely do NOT use speakon or powercon for DC on an audio product, far too much potential for a really expensive accident, they are excellent, but have well known defined roles and expected functions, the rule of least surprise applies here.

Regards, Dan.

My words :D

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
"Doesn't neutrik make some jacks/plugs made for mains use and speakers? Just a thought."

The OP is developing a commercial product and therefore using a connector for other than its designed/established purpose is not a good idea.

Very good point. I would suggest looking at other commercial products for ideas. I believe some of the passlabs, old headroom, and LIO (can't recall the mfg) all use a power supply in a separate chassis.

Also look at power supplies. I'm not suggesting you use this one, but it has a different plug

24 Volt Adapter Power Supply, 5A, Megmeet | MPJA.COM

I work in the film/video world and the favorites seem to be 4 pin, XLR, mini-XLR and Hirose. Lemo are also another fav. Some of the wireless systems use Switchcraft coaxial. When I build something DC powered I tend to use one of these simply because I may already have a power source or I want to be able to in the future.

In olden times, we used 3 pin XLR connectors for DC supplies and low voltage AC power. But now hi-fi equipment has gone balanced, so that won't work anymore. Too bad because the 3 pin connectors can carry a lot of current.
XLR for signal swap male and female from the usual.
If one were to use 3pin XLR for power and did not swap male for female then a wide awake roadie will not plug into the wrong connector.
But I would use 5pin in any of the versions that is unused in the system.

My company were just getting into CAD drawing after dipping our feet into CAD design.
We ordered up a really big CRT screen (at that time) at enormous cost and it arrived while I was out on a job.
Our young draughtsman (oops person) was so excited he plugged it all in but did not notice the WARNING attached to the two RCA plugs.
One arrangement blew up the monitor. Fortunately for us Iiyama replaced it at zero cost.

Last edited:
I was intrigued by the Lumberg jacks and not finding them in the US, I located the poor man's version of a higher current barrel connector. Switchcraft S10 plug with the associated RASPC10 jack. Rated at 24V and 11A.

Attachments

• Switchcraft High Amperage Power Jacks-1206483.pdf
    791.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.