FreeDSP OCTAVIA

Hello DIY-Audio lovers!

I started planning a new FreeDSP project named "FreeDSP OCTAVIA".
An ADAU1452/1466-based Octal(8ch) output board that has various input interfaces.
The attached current idea block diagram feels too much for ordinary use cases...
So I'd like to reduce interfaces after hearing your opinions, suggestions, and ideas.

One more application for USB-DAC, which has 4 differential DAC processing. An additional board will be required for this application.

I also attached a similarly designed board picture I made a few years ago. The New board will be a little bit expanded design from this...

CyberPit

Attachments

• FreeDSP OCTAVIA Block Diagram.gif
    FreeDSP OCTAVIA Block Diagram.gif
    103 KB · Views: 1,005
  • Photo_TopView_InstalledDetailed.jpg
    Photo_TopView_InstalledDetailed.jpg
    803.9 KB · Views: 1,030
  • IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    872.3 KB · Views: 1,013
Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 8 users
A Happy new year to everyone!

Now I'm thinking about the board layout before designing the circuit.
Small short parts are not applicable. I just wanted to know the size/dimensions of the board...
100mm x 178mm minimum (100x 226mm space required with Raspberry-Pi)

CyberPit

Attachments

• FreeDSP_OCTAVIA_Front.jpg
    FreeDSP_OCTAVIA_Front.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 488
  • FreeDSP_OCTAVIA_Rear.jpg
    FreeDSP_OCTAVIA_Rear.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 480
  • FreeDSP OCTAVIA Block Diagram.gif
    FreeDSP OCTAVIA Block Diagram.gif
    114.7 KB · Views: 462
Reactions: 2 users
Dear Pit...that's a great new.!!!
That what i was looking for since a long time ago.

You know we had variuos message exchange while you was developing the Catamaran DSP.

The use of the ADAU 1452 would be a must for people who wants to test FIR Filters as well.

Please..Do not forget balanced outputs..!!!

Thanks for cheering on this project.
Now I started designing schematic circuit diagrams.
Attached PDF is a draft of PSU and Raspberry-Pi slot part schematic.
I intend to use Moode Audio Software for Raspberry-Pi application. Running as a HIFIBERRY DAC+ZERO.
Attached PDF is a PSU and Raspberry-Pi slot part schematic. I would like to know the following device's pin assignment suggestions or optional ideas...

The current design is as follows.
Device: Default/(Optional)

IR-Remote Sensor: GPIO26/(GPIO25)
Shutdown-Restart Button: GPIO17/(GPIO26)
SPI for USB/IP Configuration: SPI0
I2S LRCK: pin35
I2S BCLK: pin12
I2S DATA: pin40

Expecting something useful...
CyberPit

Attachments

• FreeDSP_OCTAVIA_PSU.pdf
    132.6 KB · Views: 278
Hi DIY freaks!
Here's version Zero, the draft idea of FreeDSP OCTAVIA. (Just for estimating PCB size)
I'm considering adding 4 times FreeDSP 10P I2S headers, differential Line-driver or balanced line driver.
But the cost will increase drastically if add the 8 times line-driver circuit, muting circuit, and Bi-polar power supply.
An additional constraint is the PCB does not have so many vacant spaces...
So, I'm feeling adding the line driver is not a good idea. Maybe we need some compromise or options.

Feel free to comment(s).

CyberPit

Attachments

• FreeDSP_OCTAVIA_0v0.pdf
    400.3 KB · Views: 272
  • FreeDSP_OCTAVIA_0v0.jpg
    FreeDSP_OCTAVIA_0v0.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 254
Dear Pit.

Some considerations from my side.

1) Raspberry connector..why?

Who's using a Raspberry with Moode can use the built in Camilla DSP..in my opinion i will remove it.
I would stay with AES IN/OUT..Analog and USB for people using the Raspberry..in this case they could use the OCTAVIA as a Multichannel dAc..

2) Amanero interface..why?

Let people to use their prefered usb interface...Having the AES IN and Out would make the OCTAVIA super flexible..and less complicated i suppose.

3) DAC

Why not the AKm4458..?

To have 8 balanced outputs from one board?

What do you think guys?

Hi Maurizio,

This project is not designed for High-End Audio enthusiasts, just for poor DIY freaks.

Why Raspberry-Pi Slot?
The following concepts are very important for me and may be some DIY freaks.
1. Want to build a One-body WiFi-ready networked media player with enough quality DAC(s).
2. Want to use the wireless Airplay.
3. 1U(44mm) sized stylish Low profile Rasp-pi Audio system capability
4. USBi/IP support

Why have an Amanero Slot?
Just 20P socket is enough to have USB-Audio interface.
I guess various audio interfaces are welcome.

Neither the LVDS-HDMI nor AES/EBU interface is not fit for Poorman's DIY items.
Those are not suitable for this project.

About AKM chips.
1. AKM chips are still scarce on earth. Cause of the accident of fire damage in 2020.
2. Differential output DAC requires external differential buffer circuits (8 times!, Huge PCB Spaces required)
3. Twice to three times more expensive
4. 8 times Serial control requires and software development required
5. JLPCB's PCBA is not available. (Anyone can hand soldering 8 times 64-pin QFP chips safely?)

We need to some compromises to realize reasonable but enough quality products anyway...

But I remember, you are mentioning about Balanced Output.

CyberPit

Hi Pit.
Consider that who's playing with multichannel system like your..is anyhow approaching hiend..

But is your project..and of course it must fit your needs first.

Yes..balanced outputs could fit lot of class D amps.
This would be very useful in my opinion..having 8 balanced channel on one board would be a must.

Many thanks for your feedback and your efforts.

maurizio

Configuring SigmaDSP over TCP/IP seems a very attractive feature for me. (But it has not been tested yet)
Well, this project also focuses on my circuit design abilities.
Now I thinking about adding a balanced output capability. I do not want to use DRV134/135 from the point of view of its audio performance. So I will use OPA1632 chip for this project to satisfy all our needs. Using only one PCB design that fits all needs is a very difficult thing, but maybe I think I can do it for the following applications...

1. Simple PCM5102A output (Basic version)
2. Differential RCA output (Differential version)
3. Balanced output header (Balanced version)
4. High-performance DAC (Summing version)

if I try on this, having FreeDSP I2S header will be difficult, does anyone need it?

CyberPit

Attachments

• Basic.png
    Basic.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 324
  • Differential.png
    Differential.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 300
  • Balanced.png
    Balanced.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 291
  • Combine.png
    Combine.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 303
Hi CyberPit, thanks for sharing your designs with the community. This is not really what you were asking, but I think with the success of CamillaDSP what's missing now for DIYers isn't the DSP part - it's cheap, multichannel (8), UAC2 compatible USB DACs.

Reactions: 1 users

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think that having a board that has the player, EQ possibility (Camilla) and DAC for 8 channels at a reasonably price would be great. Balanced out is of course very attractive. See to that Wifi could be switch off completely if one don't need that.

//

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 user
Hi Baldin-San,
Well, I would be somewhat unique than the same. The biggest constraint is PCBA parts availability. The cost is the next factor but we can not ignore it as well.
AD1939 is a highly complex device, it's difficult to choose from the following reasons...
  • Full differential analog I/O requires its driver circuits and PCB spaces. (OPA1632 cost almost 3 USD.)
  • Small chance of using 4 analog inputs for most of the use-case.
  • Requires SPI controls.
The audio performance is the attractive point but there are many difficulties in selecting the huge PCB design and increasing costs.
The current design is scalable from 2 in 8 single-end output, 2 in 8 differential output, 2 in 8 Balanced output. An optional I2S/TDM Input header is provided to expand 2 or more input channels. The minimum configuration does not require Raspberry-pi nor Amanero USB-input daughter card. Just ADAU1452/1466 can handle analog I/O and S/PDIF Input and output.

To kaameelis-San, the RCA pin Jack is still provided. And it can output common -GND or differential signals.

To Maurizio-San, eight Balanced output is provided! (Sorry, you need XLRs with cable. It's not on-board)

Attached snapshot is the current board design (almost 90% routed)
It was very hard to implement various configurations with one design, but I was almost there...

CyberPIt
FreeDSP_OCTAVIA_PreRouted.jpg

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users