• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Music Angel Amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Uhm, i don't think 6W is enough.
The driver's sensibility is 86db/1w/1m. I guess the box adds a little to that aswell.
It is crossed over at around 100Hz, so there's not much bass going into the driver.
But, i like to play loud (as loud as i can without destroying the speakers) so i'm not sure if 6W will be enough or not.

I guess you meant driver sensitivity and not sensibility.

You like to listen loud? Hmm...

So 1 Watt will give you 86 dB at 1 meter from the speaker. Generally, people do not sit that close to the speaker, so the actual level falls off with the square of the distance.

Each 3 dB in increase requires you to double the power of the amp.

So, 2 Watts yields 89 dB, 4 Watts = 92 dB, 8 Watts = 94 dB, 16 Watts = 97, 32 W = 100 dB, 64 Watts gets you 103 dB and so on.

Now, the average symphony orchestra peaks in the mid to upper 100s dB. For your speakers to reproduce that volume you need at least 60 to 70 Watts, but that is a 1 meter distance.

If you sit back 2 or 3 meters you need even more power. If you listen at a distance of 2 meters, then you loose 6 dB of volume. Your 86 dB speaker works like an 80 dB speaker. At 3 meters the drop is 76.5 dB with one Watt. I should add that the room adds gain, too.

These are peak power requirements and not average power, but you can see it is easy to drive an amp to clipping with low efficiency speakers. For comparison, mine are 94 dB and I use a 60 WPC tube amp to drive mine.

Last edited:
I guess you meant driver sensitivity and not sensibility.

You like to listen loud? Hmm...

So 1 Watt will give you 86 dB at 1 meter from the speaker. Generally, people do not sit that close to the speaker, so the actual level falls off with the square of the distance.

Each 3 dB in increase requires you to double the power of the amp.

So, 2 Watts yields 89 dB, 4 Watts = 92 dB, 8 Watts = 94 dB, 16 Watts = 97, 32 W = 100 dB, 64 Watts gets you 103 dB and so on.

Now, the average symphony orchestra peaks in the mid to upper 100s dB. For your speakers to reproduce that volume you need at least 60 to 70 Watts, but that is a 1 meter distance.

If you sit back 2 or 3 meters you need even more power. If you listen at a distance of 2 meters, then you loose 6 dB of volume. Your 86 dB speaker works like an 80 dB speaker. At 3 meters the drop is 76.5 dB with one Watt. I should add that the room adds gain, too.

These are peak power requirements and not average power, but you can see it is easy to drive an amp to clipping with low efficiency speakers. For comparison, mine are 94 dB and I use a 60 WPC tube amp to drive mine.

Ah yes, i meant sensitivity :p Still struggling with the english ;)

In this document: creativesound.ca it says that Pe is 20W. Is that peak or continuous?
I guess i shouldn't feed them with more than 20w though. Is there any way to see how much watt i use?

Ah yes, i meant sensitivity :p Still struggling with the english ;)

In this document: creativesound.ca it says that Pe is 20W. Is that peak or continuous?
I guess i shouldn't feed them with more than 20w though. Is there any way to see how much watt i use?

I don't know. The link takes me to a page that looks like a home page. Can you tell me the exact name and model of your speakers?

Yes, I am still struggling with the English and I was born here! :D

Oh, try clicking the link. It should lead to the datasheet for EL70.

Very strange. I tried that link on my Mac and a PC. Both lead to a Creative Sound web page, but it looks like it is hijacking the link.

I tried searching in google and every link that has creativesound.ca in it links to the exact same page. Even the PDF document links to this page.

So, I don't know what is wrong, but at least from my location I can't get to any website for the CSS EL-70 no matter what I try.

The Music Angel kt88 will cost me around 750$ totally I think. That's around 300$ more than if I swap for the el34 amp. I'm at school now (having chemistry at the moment) so can't do so much calculations right now.
As far as I can judge from the schematics, etc.,(I haven't seen or heard the EL84 version) there should be little difference in the performance of the EL34 and KT88 versions of the Music Angel Amplifiers. The KT88 models may have higher power outputs than the '34 ones, not sure about that, but either type should be more than capable of driving your speakers.

While not relevant for the present discussion, nor that I might want one for myself, but can you tell us what amp you have in mind?

Mengyue 6P1 amp. If you search ebay for "6P1 amp" you will see some examples. It's the only Chinese amp I know well and that I can recommend, but even then, with caution.

Link to CSS EL70
CSS EL70 Full Range - PAIR [EL70] - $129.00 : Darcher Audio

I don't have any problem driving very similar speakers (CHR-70) with 6W but an EL84 amp with approx 15W seems to work better, not a lot in it though, IMO. I'm not sure if you would call those speakers loud, depends on your definition of "loud". They would not compete for SPL with, for example, a commercial 3-way bookshelf speaker with 6" or 8" woofer. These drivers are quite revealing of source and amplifier quality, they do sound very nice indeed. If you are into DIY another possible good option would be a Simple PP EL84 amp.

Music Angel Preamplifier

i have the music angel preamp there are 4 blue pots to adjust something
does anyone knows what?

Are you talking about a seperate preamplifier/control unit, or about the
Valve(tube)amplifiers. Some versions of the latter have four preset pots. on
the pcb which are used to set the cathode bias for each of the (KT88) output
tubes, and a search of this forum will reveal various threads on this topic,
including how to adjust them to the correct settings.

Are you talking about a seperate preamplifier/control unit, or about the
Valve(tube)amplifiers. Some versions of the latter have four preset pots. on
the pcb which are used to set the cathode bias for each of the (KT88) output
tubes, and a search of this forum will reveal various threads on this topic,
including how to adjust them to the correct settings.
I have been searching for the thread on how to bias my Music Angel Integrated amp YC-808. I found the 4 blue pots and 2 larger ones on the side of the PC Board. When I adjusted the 1st blue pot, it not only changed the setting for tube 1 but also on tube 2. Adjusting the 2nd blue pot changes the settings on tubes 3&4. Am I not seeing something, doing it wrong or what?

Is there somebody here that can post a link to a thread on biasing the MA 808? Man, Id surely appreiate it

Last edited:
The YC-808 has a Music Angel label, but has nothing in common with the more common Music angel KT88 (XDSE-800). Very little detail information or schematic is available on the net for the YC-808.

There is a thread here with some photos: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/164786-new-problem-music-angel-kt88.html

It does however appear from photos that it probably has one common bias-pot for both tubes on each channel. I recommend that you try to find the value of the cathode resistors for the KT88 tubes. Measure the voltage across the resistor and calculate the current. Adjust the bias pot so that you have a current of about 50mA for each tube.

SveinB

Last edited:
Yes, one pot does adjust 2 tubes, that covers 2 out of the 4 pots on that same board, but there are 2 others and 2 larger ones directly to the side of that same board. Im trying to find out what those others adjust? Thanks you very much for the information also Sven

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.