ACA Redux

I've wanted to build the ACA amps ever since they came out but life gets in the way. Well I'm going to build these!!!

I've never heard them before and don't know if they need a preamp.

Any thoughts
These have a serious potential to sound fabulous. You see, these do not have any hook-up wiring to degrade the performance. The only limiting factor is the power supply's quality, and its phase margin.

I was able to drive the 86dB efficient Dynaudios with standard ACA to a very satisfying level. The sound was beautiful.

Re: pre-amp... it is a good idea if you need more gain and source selection and volume control. However, you will be introducing the contact resistances, volume control... additional capacitors in a signal path, interconnects... hook-up wiring; in other words, have a look at the first paragraph (you'll be using a simplistic approach no frills amplifier), and then consider what your priorities are.

Last edited:
Great news! The first batch of kits are complete. Just in time for Burning Amp build camp too ;)

30 builders put their kits together at the event in San Francisco over the course of 3 hours. Organizing a build like this is new for me but I had a great time and I'd venture to say the builders did too.

The remaining kits are currently in my garage except for one that I sent to 6L6 who generously offered to make a build guide. I'm excited about that for two reasons, it's one less thing I need to do for the kits, and, more importantly, he makes excellent guides!

Not so good news. The kits as they are currently packed are not ready for shipping. The parts move around too much in the box and I want to avoid them banging around and getting damaged. Anyone willing to make the trip to San Francisco, send me an email at acaredux@gmail.com and we can schedule a time for pickup. All others, sit tight, I'll be working toward a new packing solution that properly protects the kits in shipping.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Great news! The first batch of kits are complete. Just in time for Burning Amp build camp too ;)

30 builders put their kits together at the event in San Francisco over the course of 3 hours. Organizing a build like this is new for me but I had a great time and I'd venture to say the builders did too.

The remaining kits are currently in my garage except for one that I sent to 6L6 who generously offered to make a build guide. I'm excited about that for two reasons, it's one less thing I need to do for the kits, and, more importantly, he makes excellent guides!

Not so good news. The kits as they are currently packed are not ready for shipping. The parts move around too much in the box and I want to avoid them banging around and getting damaged. Anyone willing to make the trip to San Francisco, send me an email at acaredux@gmail.com and we can schedule a time for pickup. All others, sit tight, I'll be working toward a new packing solution that properly protects the kits in shipping.

Hmm... how can we order them? I can wait for you to get around to shipping. Would definitely make a great Christmas vacation project.

SF is an 8 hour drive, so I can wait.

I will happy to repair just in case....;) you can ship to me as is if possible:blush:

I've opened orders for ACA Redux kits! I think I contacted everyone who filled out the interest form so far, so check your emails.

Mr. Pass (the other Nelson :rofl:) was kind enough to provide 2SK370 and IRFP048 from his not so secret stash for these kits. Thank you again!

Take a look at the beauty pics courtesy of 6L6. Thank you too!

I should have expected this, but costs add up. The final price per kit is $220 plus actual shipping cost. Sorry for the tease, I'm new to this, but that's part of why I didn't take pre-orders.

If you were waiting, now's the time to fill out the order form. When I run out of kits I'll stop taking orders and start gauging interest in another run of kits.

Attachments

• PCB Front.jpg
    PCB Front.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 200
  • PCB Rear.jpg
    PCB Rear.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 200
  • Parts bags.jpg
    Parts bags.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 203
  • Heatsinks.jpg
    Heatsinks.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Power Supplies.jpg
    Power Supplies.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 195
  • Bottom - standoff.jpg
    Bottom - standoff.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 198
  • Fully Assembled.jpg
    Fully Assembled.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 210
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I've opened orders for ACA Redux kits! I think I contacted everyone who filled out the interest form so far, so check your emails.

Mr. Pass (the other Nelson :rofl:) was kind enough to provide 2SK370 and IRFP048 from his not so secret stash for these kits. Thank you again!

I should have expected this, but costs add up. The final price per kit is $220 plus actual shipping cost. Sorry for the tease, I'm new to this, but that's part of why I didn't take pre-orders.

If you were waiting, now's the time to fill out the order form. When I run out of kits I'll stop taking orders and start gauging interest in another run of kits.

Hmm, I didn't get an email. I'm pretty sure I filled out the interest form a while back. Where is it?

mini kit like pcb Nelson active part ? to UE is a bit prices adding at 50$min shipping the 28% import tax

mini kit like pcb Nelson active part ? to UE is a bit prices adding at 50$min shipping the 28% import tax
I'm only offering compete kits at this time. I've considered selling bare PCBs, but even that is a little complicated for this design. The holes on the heatsink need to line up with the PCB, so if you source your own there's no guarantee they'll match and if you bought from my local USA source you'd have the same import problems.

Hi Folks,

I'm having some issues sending emails with similar content to everyone that filled out the interest form. Looks like spam to the email systems.

Rather than try to make email work, I've created a new google form for submitting orders. I'll reach out to those that filled out the form previously, but anyone who wants a kit will need to fill out the new form. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

ACA Redux Order Form

I am in receipt of my ACA Redux order. The kits are really solidly packed and arrived without a scratch and quickly after ordering - thanks Nelson!

For those who might be interested in the nature of some of the key parts included, beyond what Nelson said in post #226, a quick survey gives the following:

1000µF/25V caps — Rubycon PX series
10µF/25V caps — Elna Silmic II
IRFP048N — actual International Rectifier parts (have the I🖤R logo molded in)
Silpads for the above — pale lavender colored
24V PS (2 units) — Jameco ReliaPro; output rated at 24V 2.5A 60W, UL Listed

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Folks,

I'm having some issues sending emails with similar content to everyone that filled out the interest form. Looks like spam to the email systems.

Rather than try to make email work, I've created a new google form for submitting orders. I'll reach out to those that filled out the form previously, but anyone who wants a kit will need to fill out the new form. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

ACA Redux Order Form

I guess... hmm... do I have to reorder or am I golden on this?