Plan request: A Traped horn to go from 35(ish)-120 w/RCF L18P200

Hey Guys

I have 2 of the RCF L18P200-N drives laying around and i would like to build a traped horn to put them in, if its posible to get one cap to go from 35hz(ish) to 120hz and around a 100-101db spl minimum in the bandpas it would be soooo sweed!

They have good power handling (800w AES) and a large xmax (9,8mm) and i can get 2 more pretty cheap :)

Is this posible ? is there a designe that will do this or am i looking at making a new designe?

Cheers Toby

(sorry for my bad english)
Same post on speakerplans.com...

stock sensitivity is 96 db/1W/1m. A 5-dB increase won't happen while staying reasonably flat from 35ish all the way to 120 in a tapped horn. You want an increase in sensitivity, FLH in groups of 4 is the way to go. But you won't get down to 35Hz unless you use a massive horn length. Hoffman's Iron Law. It would be nice if we all could simply specify the -3dB corner frequency AND an arbitrary sensitivity and have the laws of physics conform around us. :)

stock sensitivity is 96 db/1W/1m. A 5-dB increase won't happen while staying reasonably flat from 35ish all the way to 120 in a tapped horn. You want an increase in sensitivity, FLH in groups of 4 is the way to go. But you won't get down to 35Hz unless you use a massive horn length. Hoffman's Iron Law. It would be nice if we all could simply specify the -3dB corner frequency AND an arbitrary sensitivity and have the laws of physics conform around us. :)

With the right 96 dB speaker a TH can do 101 dB one watt one meter at 35 Hz and around 104 dB at 120 Hz.

The DSL TH-118 does, at 40 x 22.5 x 28 inches is not particularly massive.
A quarter wave length of the FC in a TH design does not require a huge mouth, so can be folded in to a relatively small enclosure.

There may be a better solution, but here is one (5mH inductor added):

RCF18P200.gif

RCF - L18P200-N

With the right 96 dB speaker a TH can do 101 dB one watt one meter at 35 Hz and around 104 dB at 120 Hz.

The DSL TH-118 does, at 40 x 22.5 x 28 inches is not particularly massive.
A quarter wave length of the FC in a TH design does not require a huge mouth, so can be folded in to a relatively small enclosure.

Well I feel dumb. Really. I had been used to modeling using only 2V input in Horn Resp due to me simulating some "mobile audio" speakers recently. Let me see what a correct 2.83V input shows now. :)

Well I feel dumb. Really. I had been used to modeling using only 2V input in Horn Resp due to me simulating some "mobile audio" speakers recently. Let me see what a correct 2.83V input shows now. :)
The less the Re of a speaker, the louder it will show in Hornresp.
Some "4 ohm" speakers really are more like 3 ohms.

Most amps do not quite double the power at 1/2 the impedance, so a four ohm speaker may not actually play 3 dB louder than an 8 ohm.

"Djk what design is that?"

That is a design I did for an 18 Sound woofer that I modified slightly for your RCF driver.

"Also on speakerplans.com i have been sugestet the cyclobs (CB-18) you thing that the l18p200 will work on fullpower 800w in that one?"

I think it should work OK, you notice that I was the one that suggested the Cyclops over there (I'm _djk_ over there).

"I know that the sens is low at 96db/1w but it should bee posiblel i think"

It looks like the TH adds about 5dB, so it should do what you need it to. The AkAbak script I posted is of one TH, a pair would smooth out a bit. Here is one, two, and four or a 40hz 15" design just to show how things change.

15TBX100.gif

It looks like the TH adds about 5dB, so it should do what you need it to. The AkAbak script I posted is of one TH, a pair would smooth out a bit. Here is one, two, and four or a 40hz 15" design just to show how things change.

15TBX100.gif

djk, with regards to your Akabak script, I have never seen a TH modeled that way. I had read that generally speaking, one does not want to terminate a waveguide with a horn, but rather one shoud end a series of waveguides with a radiator. Also what are the length of the sections of that TH? I only see "two" sections, one at 2.6m, and one at 0.30m. Is it indeed a total of 2.9m or is there something I'm not seeing?