The food thread

question for the bread experts. I've perfected the taste of the loaf I'm making with a mix of granary, wholemeal, rye, spelt and white flours (by perfect mean the kids will eat it, and when I said I wanted to try spelt the wife said very clearly 'don't make it taste too healthy'). The problem now is that, after 24 hours the bread starts to get crumbly and after 48 hours I lose half of each slice as it falls apart. I suspect I'm slightly over prooving it but wandered what else holds it together. If it helps swapping the granary for an organic brand had made it worse.
If you can post a picture of the bread and list the proportions of each flour and water we can see what may help. Generally with whole wheat and spelt it creates a denser loaf. If its just going stale fast, keep the cut side covered in plastic wrap. Can also pre slice the entire loaf, put parchment between slices and freeze the whole thing. The parchment keep the slices from freezing together.

Reactions: 1 user
Did a tour of a small local distillery, last weekend. Ive had their stuff before, but decided to restock with it this time.

20240406_150958.jpg
20240406_163051.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Sriracha skyrocketed here a while back but has settled back down. Not sure what was behind it.

The peppers Huy Fong uses come from a small area and they had a drought, or something like that. The point being that they couldn't get other peppers as substitutes... on account of flavor.

There are other brands, but they taste different. Trust me, I tried them.

So, for a year, -a crop-, Huy Fong was short of peppers.

BTW, I buy Sriracha by the big "gallon" jar. I truly go through a LOT of that stuff. During the Pepper Crisis, I had stacked up with about three gallons so it barely saw me through. I had to make a gallon last four months, whereas normally I use on gallon per month. It was TOUGH.

Joined 2010
Paid Member

I make my own jams. Not as sweet as the commercial kinds, so it's better for your blood sugar and the fruit flavors come through stronger.

So, when we finish a jar, particularly blueberries, I fill it with clear Bacardi rum and let it sit for a while in the fridge.

I've also tried it with vodka, but the sweetness of the rum goes better with the fruit.

Also, try soaking apples and pears in a mixture of vodka with a healthy dollop of triple sec. Let it sit in the fridge for a couple of years... or more.. Or pears in vodka with a couple of vanilla beans... I got one jar that must be, ohh..., 12 years old buy now.

Long term drunk, that's me.

Come to think about it... recently I made a big batch of lime jam ( sort of a limemalade) .... that would be good too for Moroccan dishes.

Last edited:
Sriracha skyrocketed here a while back but has settled back down. Not sure what was behind it.
I know a few people in food distribution and marketing. Stores in general track how the sales of items are doing, and often select popular items for price gouging. Better to make $2 each bottle instead of a dollar, so they'll float a much more expensive price to see how it goes.
If sales drop a lot for weeks, they'll drop the prices to regain sales volume.
Sometimes it is about upstream costs, often it is not.

The peppers Huy Fong uses come from a small area and they had a drought, or something like that. The point being that they couldn't get other peppers as substitutes... on account of flavor.

There are other brands, but they taste different. Trust me, I tried them.

So, for a year, -a crop-, Huy Fong was short of peppers.

BTW, I buy Sriracha by the big "gallon" jar. I truly go through a LOT of that stuff. During the Pepper Crisis, I had stacked up with about three gallons so it barely saw me through. I had to make a gallon last four months, whereas normally I use on gallon per month. It was TOUGH.

The whole sriracha shortage was worse than that. The owner of Huy Fong overpaid on a prepayment, then tried to hire the farmers COO to start his own chile grow. Huy Fong was sued for breach of contract and fraud. The farm won. But the overpayment was deducted from the winnings.

BTW, Underwood ranch (the original farmer) has their own brand of sriracha now, and its pretty dang good!

I don't bother with Sriracha. I haven't caught onto it and I don't always want garlic with the heat, especially since I use so much of it in drinks. I use only my own.

I do agree it has its place. I enjoy various hot sauces. I should make more banana ketchup soon, that was a hit with the missus. She is the primary consumer of all things hot. I enjoy heat, but not for the sake of being hot. It must have good flavor.

Now I need to figure out which hot peppers to plant. Thinking habanero or ghost peppers.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I, too, prefer Underwood Ranch's Sriracha. One Christmas I gave out 4-bottle Combo Packs as gifts.

OBTW, don't even bother sampling Trader Joe's version of Sriracha. Toilet water from a rural Arkansas gas station + retirement home hot sauce.

TeeJay's is good for cleaning up a slow drain.

Just like their "soy sauce" and "tofu"...

I can't find Underwood in my local supers..... As I wrote, I buy it by the gallon. Usually go through it in less than six weeks. As I cook, I'll lay out a bowl of chip and I'll squeeze a tablespoon's worth of Sriracha on each chip... as I eat them.

Yum.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Red Habanero or red Scotch Bonnets would be my choice. Ghost peppers and Reapers are a little over the top for me.

Have you tried the Chinese hot chili oils? The Thai make some pretty good facsimiles but the Chinese outshine them all.

Try Sichuan and Hunan food?

Nothing like been served a bowl that uses grated dried ghost pepper chilis as.... GARNISH! Even my Mainland China sourced friends thread with some real care in those waters.

Google Meizhou Dongpo in Irvine. In comparison, Thai food is just for babies... I kid you not. It's HOT, SWEET, did I say SCORCHING HOT? As in your cojones will be hairless and trop calientes after eating just their Mabo Tofu ( least spicy thing in the menu, just for foreigners from the other side of the 405 like me...).

Last time I went, I checked my blood sugar four hours after lunch... it was 250!.... Yikes.

My wife doesn't want to go there.

Last edited:
Have you tried the Chinese hot chili oils?
I make my own chili in oil. It's pretty easy. I usually use smoked and seasoned Cayennes.
Try Sichuan and Hunan food?
Yes, they are popular here.
Sichuan peppercorns? I dislike Ma La with a passion as to me, it really takes away from the meal.
I do like Hunan creations as they tend to be drier than others. Nothing like ruining a perfectly good crab dish by pouring gooey sauce on it.