Alpair MAOP 10.2

I have made my choice and my first enclosure build for these will be of a bookshelf type (as large as I can accommodate) as they will go in my office room.

As a BR, MS11 and MAOP11 sims virtually overlap, so you could use a published MS11 box while you're waiting for one of Dave's designs. Pretty sure Scott did a series for the 11MS. I'll see if I can find them.

Edit: Here they are: http://wodendesign.com/downloads/Nostromo-Alpair11ms-reflex.pdf

There's also a front port design: https://www.markaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Fenlon-110MS.png

jeff

Last edited:
Is there any way to get a sense of the efficiency of a mini-onken with the MAOP 10.2? I'm looking for an efficient speaker to use with a 5 watt SET amp in a small room, pretty moderate listening levels, and wondering how something like a mini-onken box + MAOP 10.2 would be perform in this application.

I am debating whether to buy a commercial product, such as an Omega, or go the DIY route. I'm comfortable around the shop. It's really hard to get a sense of how commercial vs DIY projects compare!

I'm looking for a smallish stand-mount speaker that can be put relatively close to a wall. I have a sub, so I'm not too fussed about deep bass.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is there any way to get a sense of the efficiency of a mini-onken with the MAOP 10.2?

Not heard them, i expect that one will get similar performance to A10.3eN but perhaps a bit less coloured. ie really good.

A10 MAOP is one of Scott’s favourites, i have only heard A7 MAOP. Gonna dig those out amd piut them into Ellipsa, time to swap speakers.

...to use with a 5 watt SET amp in a small room, pretty moderate listening levels, and wondering how something like a mini-onken box + MAOP 10.2 would be perform in this application.

As long as you don’t have a large room and don’t play to loud, as long as you factor in the amplifier’s output impedance, you should be able to make a superb system. I have heard magic from a 3.5w 2A3 amp, speakers in the 85 dB range and in my biggish room, just couldn’t play really loud.

I am debating whether to buy a commercial product, such as an Omega, or go the DIY route.

I have not heard the Omega so i am just goona throw out a guess. For way less you can diy a loudspeaker with A10.2 MAOP that will, to many people, outperform the Omega for much less (althou they may not be as pretty (depending on your woodwoorking skills). But the 2 will have a different flavour.

I rank the MAOPs as budget priced high-end drivers capable of embarrassing many much pricier drivers.

I'm looking for a smallish stand-mount speaker that can be put relatively close to a wall. I have a sub, so I'm not too fussed about deep bass.

Getitng the woofer to bleand with the FR is sometimes the hardest part… and 1 woofer and 2 sts means you have to get a certain extention out of the bookshelves. And against the wall one needs to be concerned with how the box rects to th eclose proimity of the wall… given that means making sure the bass response has a smooth, steady, fairly slow roll-off.

dave

MAOP 10.2 mounted in BR 60 liter (previously used with Sonido alnico driver),

today is the first day of powering on, after 14 hours of normal and very loud listening just before the clipping (i dont care for this nonsense about 100000 hours of break-in, speaker is made for playing the music) , my impressions

- bass is so strong, speaker is delivering too much of bass, i never have in my life this situation with fullrange :D i will modify the box to reduce the bass output, maybe i will transfer to MLTL.. i need to do some calc...
- middle and treble are normal, no fatigue there, very relaxed presentation
- speaker is deliver soo good loud music that this is unbeleivable for small driver, you can make night club atmosphere in the room, full of quality bass and there is no fatiguing distortions on loud levels
- speaker is playing good rock, hard rock, jazz, blues, techno with the same quality , only on electronic music on some kind of sintetic bass (dub) bass is very plastic, enhanced in wrong way, but this is due to my box i believe so not a critic actually
- imaging is great , 3D is present

minus for the moment is that i would like some freshness in the sound, total balance is in the bass side, so sound is too relaxed, i need 10 percent more highs and this would fit better.. maybe when i cut some bass, top side will be more balanced..

for the first day, great performance, and potential!

Attachments

• m.jpg
    m.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 389
  • zv3.jpg
    zv3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 382
  • zv.jpg
    zv.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 378
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
after 14 hours of normal and very loud listening just before the clipping

The driver is not designed to be broken in this way. It will never reach its potential now. It ia likw you say you took your brand new car and ran it aat close to reline for 14 startigh hours (ignoring that you would run out of gas)

your box is not a reflex, it is an ML-TL already (whether designed that way or not)

dave

The driver is not designed to be broken in this way. It will never reach its potential now. It ia likw you say you took your brand new car and ran it aat close to reline for 14 startigh hours (ignoring that you would run out of gas)

your box is not a reflex, it is an ML-TL already (whether designed that way or not)

dave
i have cca 30+ speakers at home, mixed hi-fi/ guitar.. good speaker is good from the start, after 10-50h.. only in MA is stated 100.000hours for break -in, and silent music which is in opposite with the break in process IMO :D. bad speaker will never sound good like in Alpair 12 case.

box is BR calculation from official Sonido site tuned 40 Hz for Sonido driver.. now i need to remove all the damping and do the process again..