Are you a Dead Head?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Come on, admit it... a bunch of the people at BA23 looked like a bunch of old Dead Heads with a hair cut.

Then you got the long haired NorCal "hippies", who let's face it, look like they ought to be sitting at night playing tapes of Dead Concerts over a half track Revox while a phalanx of lava lamps lights up the coast all the way to Hawai'i. (1) (2) (3)

I wonder... should NP sell the four-pack-quatro-pipe-os. You know, four cylindrical bass tubes, one tuned for each string of Phil Lesh's bass... the way he had his amps wired for the Wall Of Sound...

So, are you a Dead Head?

I was surprised not to have heard any of their stuff being demo'd over the systems over at BA23. Of course, it might have made those demos a bit... longer.

Me, but of course. I got the Dead Head Channel on XM and I got a lot of live Dead Head CDs that I put into my cell phone ( at Redbook) so I can play it over Android Auto.

Heck my drive from SoCal to Petaluma was mostly Dead and Bakerfield country ( Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, etc...)

Good stuff to listen to.... best stuff to drive to.

Or as someone in these forums might call them.... Die Dëad Hæèd. He listens to them at 11 when the wife is out shopping.

Note, sometimes, I love Hawai'ian Country music too.

(1) In my college youth, generally my group of male friends fell along two sides... a bunch of hippie looking guys and another bunch of yuppies. The hippie group treated their bodies like Holy Temples... the yuppies... well... we had a great time. Oddly, a yuppie could be coming down fast but still be miles above the hippie... but the cops never bothered us!

(2) I need to figure out how to make a lava lamp work with an LED lamp. Hmmm, come to think about it... maybe the SissySIT might be hot enough to run a lava lamp?

(3) Hey moderators, don't get upset now... all of this is said with a lot of humor. Hmm... do Blue lava lamps sound better than Green lava lamps?

Last edited:
in the day had "Workingman's Dead" and "American Beauty" - played on Magnepans- sometimes with Bruce Moore's "New Venusian" octal tube phono preamp- maybe a Belles amp or A40 Pass amp. I'm not much of a rock and roll guy and only saw 3 or 4 bands live in the last 60 some years due to vertigo issues and not being able to drive.
One of those bands I saw was the Dead in Cincinnati Ohio - very smooth sound - kinda diffuse. The previous day I heard Muddy Waters at Marshall University at my home town Huntington WV - I would have enjoyed Muddy more than the Dead - if i could had heard him better - I was maybe 75 ft maybe only 50 feet away and the horrid and feeble column speakerr PA didn't cut it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
The LPs are actually very tame... limited by the 20 or so minutes that a side could hold

I've been getting Dave's Picks for some years now and those live concerts are so much better.

I got stuck in traffic once, the entire Five was shutdown two miles North of San Onofre and it tool like two hours to get past San Juan Capistrano... but I was playing a Dead DVD in surround ( I had an Acura TSX Sport Wagon with an excellent DVD-A surround system )... I didn't notice how long it took... I think I played Box Of Rain three times in a row.

Hawai'ian Country... very, very, very nice. I also like Jake Shimabukuro.

Nothing like jumping on the car to go to work... drive 50 miles down along the Pacific and listen to just a couple of songs...

Come on....

Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
I fell in love with a Mexican girl...

I can sing/play "Deal" and "Loser" by Jerry! I saw their - reputedly - stellar show at Cornell University in 77! (I was packed into the crowd up front and remember being able to pick my feet up off the floor and still remain standing)

I remember around that time trying to make a guitar synth that would rival Jerry's Systems 360, which I failed to do so sound and note tracking wise. Got me an A in an instrumentation engineering elective however, which helped the GPA.

But Dead Head? Not really. Never even went to a "Dead and Company" show one time. Which I would say is indicative of an actual fan, vs someone like me, who let it phase out eventually.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
^

If you've listened to Dark Star more than 10 times. you're a Dead Head... you don't have to broadcast it to the rest of the World.

Heck, can you remember these immortal lyrics?

No no, the college degree is stuffed with absolutely nothing at all
You get, you get nothing with your college-degree

Joined 2022
Paid Member
Back in high school, I installed Slackware Linux on my PC and got a “darkstar login” prompt. At the time, I thought it was a cool default hostname that Patrick Volkerding picked…

Many year later (last year, actually), I was browsing records at Hercules in Berkeley and picked up my first Grateful Dead record — a used copy of Live/Dead. It was around the fifth time I was listening to Dark Star that I recalled that old login prompt and decided to look it up. Sure enough, Patrick is a Deadhead.

I wouldn’t have the thought of myself as a Deadhead but I do meet tonyEE’s criterion for Dark Star and also Terrapin Station (from this year’s RSD).

Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ "...Back in high school, I installed Slackware Linux on my PC ..."

When I finally met NP in person, I mentioned that I had been following his career since the 70s. He flatly said "that's 50 years"

You guys really know how to make me feel ancient and speechless.

I don't suppose you've ever used BSD?

Was a little on the fence with the Dead.

Shoreline theater not far from where I grew up.
Not a far drive to experience the parking lot party.

Heard a few Dicks Picks
And cannot hear Terrapin Station studio version.
Live so much better.

Taking guitar more serious in my teen's
Some of Jerry's guitar lines and his envelope tricks.
Was fascinating.

The great thing about the fan-recorded cassettes the Dead allowed them to record near the stage up in front of the official soundboard. with Nakamichi tape decks or whatever they employed a long pole with two microphones on the top, one for r channel one for l channel. The distance between the two mics as it turns out is about the same as between ears of human head. That’s why the Audience cassettes sound so great, they’re binaural. On headphones it sounds like the band is out in front about twenty feet, and very real sounding, clean airy, dynamic, the bass frequencies seem to go down to 20 Hz. I’m not hot dogging you. The other advantage of audience tapes is they preserve the crowd noise, cheering, etc. whereas soundboard recordings suppress crowd noise except in between songs.

Last edited:
I confess to never having (knowingly) listened to anything Grateful Dead despite being old enough. No particular wish to be a Dead Head now, but where would a start down that road be???
Everyone finds favorites over time.
Me and others as newcomers mention Terrapin Station standing out as the gateway.
Many others always have that story of what song got them interested.
Go for the studio version, countless live tracks to choose from.
One of many 16 min or more adventures they are capable of.

The most recent issue (November/December 2023) of MIT News contains an article titled "An activist concert, Dead ahead" detailing a campus visit and free concert the band did on campus on May 6, 1970. It was a top-secret event, only hinted at by a special edition of the school newspaper: "2 p.m. - There will not be a free concert by the Grateful Dead today."

The article includes a photo of the band playing, and the crowd. I think I'm in the pic, I recognize my haircut from behind, but it appears that everyone had the same haircut, so I'm not positive.

I think I remember it, and I think it was great.

and his envelope tricks.
I was able to cop the circuit for that, of my "own" design - basically cement half A to half B of pretty standard Op-Amp circuit examples available at that time. The 'ol RMS to DC full wave rectifier / filter, which I extended to 2nd order and the voltage controlled state-space filter, also second order, which offered High, Band and Low pass outputs plus resonance by adjusting the Q. Gave the classic "My time comin' anyday - dont worry bout me no" Ptwahhhooww sound.

The second order filter on the "envelope" gave a little faster attack and some warble comin down - if you wanted it. That was "cement half A to half B" too, where I grafted a second state space filter onto where the ordinary 1st order filter was in the Op-Amp RMS to DC circuit. Was proud of that one, but not enough to make it into an actual stomp box product - where I see counteless examples today that far more entrepreneurial folks do, with whatever circuit they design for guitar.