Burning Amp 2022! October 15th & 16th, Fort Mason San Francisco and Online to the World!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Another of our presenters!

Demian Martin: Tools & Techniques for Measuring and Troubleshooting Audio Electronics

Demian returns having presented at the two previous Burning Amps.

After college (UCSC) Demian Martin worked for Four Phase Systems, a pioneering semiconductor/computer company designing peripheral interfaces. He then went on to work at Dysan designing disk drive test equipment. Finding that work not really interesting, he went on to cofound Spectral Audio with Rick Fryer and designed all the first generation products. After a few years he left to start the subwoofer company Entec to commercialize Keith Johnson’s subwoofer servo in a family of subwoofers. He also worked with Jerry Crosby developing the CAW Quad modification during that period. He then moved on to work as Monster Cable’s Director of Engineering.

At Monster he was responsible for designing cables (both audio and RF/video) including the industry’s most advanced HDMI cables. Other products he designed or helped design at Monster Cable Products included the original Beats headphone, the subsequent headphone products, all the power products, and all the speakers

In addition to his consulting work at Monster Cable Products, since 2000 he has been consulting for audio companies including NuForce, NuPrime, and Constellation. He has 27 issued patents.

Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Another presenter Mr. Full Range.

Jon Ver Halen: Why Full Range?

Jon Ver Halen graduated from Purdue with honors and then a masters degree in engineering, also from Purdue. He has been building speakers since his undergraduate days. At some point he took an interest in SET’s, designing and building a number of amplifiers.

Since his wife would not tolerate the big horns that he so desired, Jon turned to high efficiency single drivers systems. He started importing the Lowther speakers in 2000. While importing those speakers he designed a pair of commercial speakers, the Alerion and LOB (little open baffle). He is now the importer the Cube Audio line of speakers.

In his spare time Jon designs custom cranes that have been used by Space-X, Norad stations, various nuclear power stations and even Disney World. He also acts as an expert witness in civil lawsuits determining how products failed, and the liability of various parties. This work supplies the income to support his ever-more-expensive hobby.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Stereophile just came out with their "Recommended Components 2022". Pass Labs and FirstWatt products are everywhere! Pre-amps: (Wayne Colburn designs) XP22 and XP32. Amplifiers: (Nelson Pass designs) FirstWatt F8, XA-25, XA 60.8, FirstWatt SIT-3, INT-25, and HPA-1.

Of course Nelson Pass contributions to the DIY community are too numerous to list including the beloved Amp Camp Amp, which we will have in the Build Camp (repackaged by Nelson Brock as the ACA Redux - darn are they cute)!

Be at BAF Sunday the 16th, either in-person of via Zoom, to find out what's next.

Reactions: 2 users
I havent heard from the rest of the club but I intend to make the Pilgrimage this year with or without em.
My thoughts were that it would be fun to bring my test rig down and test people's creations for power output and distortion.

Would anyone be interested in that?
Would anyone take me up on the offer?
Can of worms?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
When purchasing ZOOM tickets, what field do I use to enter my DIY name? No one will know me by my given name, so where do I enter my DIY name?
The ticket just gets you a code to enter the meeting. It does not care who you are as long as your payment went through.

Your ZOOM software usually has a place where you enter your preferred name. Maybe you are "Alvar Nunez Cabaza de Vaca" at work or home, but "the Gasser" with your friends. The ZOOM software may even pick-up Al de Vaca from your operating system or browser, but you can change that.
  1. Join a Zoom meeting on the web client.
  2. On the Zoom in-meeting controls, click Participants .
  3. Hover your mouse over your name, then click More.
  4. Click Rename. A pop-up box will appear.
  5. In the pop-up box, enter your display name.
  6. Click Change.
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/8715431556621-Changing-your-name-on-Zoom

Ah, "Currently, users cannot change their names while they are in a waiting room." This sucks. Other waitees will see you as "Al" before you can change to Gasser.

Ah Ah-- apparently the Desktop Client lets you change name before you start:
Sign in to the Zoom desktop client.
Click your profile picture, then click Settings.
Click Profile.
Note: You can also click My Profile, which will open a new web browser window where you can edit your name in the Zoom web portal.
Click Edit My Profile.
My older ZOOM Desktop client prompts for a 'screen name' right below 'Meeting ID'.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Tom V & the BA2022 Organizers:

I understand that COVID-related concerns may be a key factor, but will you be hosting a lunch as well on either day? If so, when will lunch tickets be available for purchase?

Gianluca:

Good to know you'll be there!

Regards,
Scott

P.S.: Lunch alternatives include the Fort Mason Farmer's Market which, if history is any guide, will run from the morning until 1:00 or 1:30 pm and Green's.

Reactions: 1 user

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Joined 2010
Paid Member
ODDS & ENDS

Zoom: The folks with Zoom tickets will be getting an email with the link before the event. Of course you should download your Zoom software directly from your App Store or from zoom.us.

Lunch: I am requesting bids for the traditional Indian lunch on Sunday. Lunch tickets will be available on Eventbrite, or pay at the door (if we haven't sold out!). Saturday there should be food trucks and a couple of restaurants in Fort Mason.

-Tom-

Status
Not open for further replies.