Burning Amp 2023!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Dennis, It looks like most of the part values and ratings are printed on the Pearl3 PCBs that Wayne so kindly distributed. I hope 6L6 doesn't mind me sharing but I managed to snap a picture of his completed board. As for the unobtainium low-noise ZTX BJTs that are specified, Wayne said ZTX550/450s or similar should work just fine. A schematic would be nice though, did anybody manage to snap a picture during the presentation? I only thought about it after the fact.

Attachments

• Pearl3.jpg
    Pearl3.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 169
Reactions: 1 user
Well, for "fake" Tannoys, or whatever it was they were connected to at BAF, I quite liked the way your system sounded.
Thank you ranshdow! Much appreciated. The cabinets were indeed from China: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802144550271.html
and the drivers are indeed 100% Tannoy's: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334574444947
Sure, the Tannoy CMS 1201DCT has a metal baffle for in-ceiling installation, but the drivers are easily removed from the baffle, and bingo!- you have a nice 12" TRUE Tannoy coaxial driver. It even includes the x-over. ;)
All in - less than $1,700 and a few hours of work. For real Tannoys. Glad you liked the sound.
BTW: these are very efficient drivers. Work well with low power amps like 300B SETs.

Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I'm not Wayne Colburn of course, but I think that the ZTX857 (in stock at Newark, Farnell, and DigiKey) would work just fine as both the cascode amp and the tippy top ripple filter in the first stage of the Pearl 3. I also think the ZTX457 (in stock at Mouser) would work in those positions, too. But I'm not Wayne Colburn.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Oh, I ought to note that meeting Tony Salsich personally and shooting the breeze about the sorely missed late Dr. Hill, the history of the plasma tweeter and then talking to him throughout the weekend about stuff was outstanding too. It was really a great pleasure. I have a much better understanding now of how the plasma is created.

Hopefully next year he'll be able to bring it to BA24.

Thanks Tony.

…I ended bringing the F7 home with me…my wife handled it well, said it was beautiful [and asked if there was] a way to switch it into our main system (ideas on a simple way to do that please)...

Thanks to all,
Rogster (Roger)
This is a question a number of people might have. Starting a dedicated thread asking the question might be the way to go.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Thank You
Reactions: 9 users
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm not Wayne Colburn of course, but I think that the ZTX857 (in stock at Newark, Farnell, and DigiKey) would work just fine as both the cascode amp and the tippy top ripple filter in the first stage of the Pearl 3. I also think the ZTX457 (in stock at Mouser) would work in those positions, too. But I'm not Wayne Colburn.
I think those are good suggestion to try. I also have some KSC1008 to try out when I get some time.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@wayne... let me ask you a simple question.

I have a year old Pearl 2 with fancy components and a very nice real panel with all kinds of knobs to adjust settings, no DIP switches. It also has a very upgraded power supply. I love the way it sounds. It has very low noise, which combined with a belt driven table. (*) is a truly quiet front end. It beats the upgraded phono section (teflon caps, Russkie tubes) of my vintage CJ PV9 by a wide margin on the bass and treble and noise.

So, now I'm planning for the Pearl 3... because, like ZM and NP et al... you guys don't stop and it's.... there.

What will be the improvement from the Pearl 2 to the 3?

Can we make the 3 so we can roll op amps with sockets? I looked at the pads in the circuit board ( yeah, I got a pair ) and it seems doable.

So, short of being able to roll op amps, what would be the main benefit to the 3 over the 2?

(*) Jim? Jim? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Curious to know when the slide deck for Nelson's talk will be posted. I watched with fascination his schematic for a 2SK180 Light Bulb amp not even knowing I would score a pair myself. I'm about three projects behind (just kidding. the actual number is, um...much higher) but want to start dreaming up ideas for it.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@tonyEE If you build Pearl 3 you’ll be smarter, better looking, more attractive, taller, have whiter teeth, more hair, a winning smile, and friends on all 7 continents. The advantages cannot be understated, it’s simply amazing and your entire life will benefit from it.

Or not. Who knows. 😎

You’ll just have to build, compare, and tell us all about it.

(Oh and yes, you can absolutely put a socket on the opamp.)

Reactions: 3 users