Cannot direct message any member

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
have previous conversation history
The rules may have changed earlier this year, with the major software change. I don't remember so many "Can't PM" posts on the old software, which may not have had this feature. I do know other forums where 0- and 1-post members spam the entire membership, annoyance for members and major headache for admins.

Is there maybe a place in the messaging system for a message explaining the policy? (Which seems flexible?)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
There is a sticky post here
And there is an explanation right IN this thread, #5; but forty5cal1911 did not see it before posting here, because who reads old posts? (I'm only a bit ironic there.)

So I was thinking a READ ME right in the path to a PM/Conversation:
PM-Newbie.gif

I dunno if this is worth the programming time if we are only having ~~1 query/month?

Founder
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I realize I'm late to this party, but I donated money to this site last year partly because PMs were attached as a benefit, one that I didn't realize had been removed until I went to use it today. I realize that a donation is a donation but I don't think it's right to accept money with the promise of benefits that are removed without notice.
It appears that this was a bug, or rather, oversight. It was definitely not intentional for donors to have their messaging wings clipped. But it looks like when we switched off messaging for users under moderation that also affected donors who were still in moderation due to not posting very much.

I have updated the permissions for all donation levels so you can freely message, and any number of recipients.

Reactions: 1 user