Circuit design for EMI immunity

Joined 2019
Paid Member
@tombo56
What ye say?

Jan
I say, that damn microvolts are everywhere. :)
I’ve made a new connection & load box for amp output interface. There is 8 Ω load inside and BNC connector for measurement gear. Here is what noise is there when everything in vicinity is powered down and amplifier is turned off.

Environment.png

Next, noise with just power bar, 1 m from the amplifier turned on with no load at all. That 50Hz spike is there.

Power bar.png

Last, noise with the amp turned on.

Amplifier on.png

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I'd give Q8 and Q9 a chance to get fully decoupled rails (especially in this case... a 2MHz bandwidth) by moving the (C11, C12 & C13) to the left and (C14, C15 and C16) to the right.
50 Hz noise is not related to the decoupling, so there will be no change. Anyway, decoupling seems to be ‘perfect’ which is proven by 100 kHz square wave response and slew rate measurement.

Now, just stop for a moment and think how we are all easily fooled with measurement scale that there is something to improve.
Should I care for 1 uV spikes here and there in a power amplifier? :D

Amplifier.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend building some magnetic sniffer. This can be a simple current loop shorting the input of the oscilloscope probe. More sensitive is a coil full of magnet wire that you connect to the input of a high gain audio amp, any guitar practice amp will do the trick.
With a battery powered practice amp and a small coil I investigated the premises of a customer complaining of hum problems all over the house. And found a hum loop spread over the hole ground by double wired electrical installation in the garden which we the fixed afterwards by one simple wire disruption.
The area of that magnetic loop was really huge!
Magnetic hum hunting with such setup can be a quite interesting experience. You may detect power cables buried in the ground as well as ground currents in the vivinity of power plants.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. If you connect speakers with 100dB/W sensitivity, those 6uV would produce less than 0dB hum @1m. To be more precise, ~13dB below the hearing threshold.
Speaker cables alone will pick much more hum than it comes out of this amp. So further improvment in this department is wasting time.

Now, just stop for a moment and think how we are all easily fooled with measurement scale that there is something to improve.
Should I care for 1 uV spikes here and there in a power amplifier?
Is there a reason you changed the vertical axis to V instead of V/rtHz? Also if you used a BW of 10Hz-100kHz the total noise would be comparable to e.g. regulator specs.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I say, that damn microvolts are everywhere. :)
I’ve made a new connection & load box for amp output interface. There is 8 Ω load inside and BNC connector for measurement gear. Here is what noise is there when everything in vicinity is powered down and amplifier is turned off.

View attachment 1220071

Next, noise with just power bar, 1 m from the amplifier turned on with no load at all. That 50Hz spike is there.

View attachment 1220073

Last, noise with the amp turned on.

View attachment 1220074
If you look at the levels, it's clear where it comes from.
You did some good measurements, now act on them.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That's 120dB below 1V. Depends on where the other noise and distortion levels are.
For a SE tube amp with -80dB THD+N clearly 1uV hum won't be an issue.

In a very clean class D it could.

Jan

Joined 2019
Paid Member
btw it the harmonic spectrum is interesting. The last plot shows significant 100Hz/H2 component, i.e. a heavily, unsymmetrically distorted 50Hz signal. That may originate from a rectified 50hHz circuit.
I agree that reason for that harmonic content is rectification process. As harmonics are related to the voltage waveform deviation from the ideal form, any mains waveform deformation will be seen as harmonics. Here is what mains voltage looks like at my place. Nasty.

pic_884_1.gif