dnb music

This was released in '93 but by '94 it was massive all over the UK. Played on all radio stations - not just the pirate stations. One of the biggest tunes of the era. Still sounds fresh today.
The artist also recorded as 2 Bad Mice. Bombscare was one of the Hardcore (as it was known in '91 and'92) tunes that helped define the sound that became Jungle (with Ragga samples), then Drum & Bass (typically more atmospheric and / or spacious production).
I was in London from '93, and more into House and Techno, so really on the edge of the D&B scene, but I went to some wicked clubs and raves - Busbys at the Astoria; AWOL at the Paradise Club, and saw the scene, and the sound, develop.
It was an amazing time - so much innovation and creativity from the producers, and so much energy from the DJs, MCs and dancers.
The development of Drum & Bass is one of the things that makes me most proud to be British.
1691650796751.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Here's the AWOL story, straight from two of the original DJs, and the legendary MC GQ.

Thick London accents, so maybe difficult to follow if English isn't your first language (or even if it is!), but hopefully gives a flavour of what the scene was like.

There are loads of AWOL mixtapes uploaded onto YT. I'll try and find a good one - some of the DJ Randall mixes are highly rated - and post it here.

Wow a dnb thread, neat.
I used to write dnb, had some release on Hospitals sub label Med school before they shut it down. It's a bit of a cheesy tune IMO, but I guess I'll share. Bit of a product of the Netsky era if you get my drift. I got out of DNB because it felt like I was just doing music by the numbers, and the genre can be a little limiting in that sense. The shrinking of the overall dnb scene also left me in tough position of just not being able to get stuff signed to good labels. I was screaming into the void while my other stuff was doing fine. I had infinitely more success after branching out. I still follow dnb but not quite as religously as I used to. I'm more a fan of the newer stuff, cleaner mixes, higher fidelity. Some older tunes are unlistenable, like Fresh - Hypercaine or a lot of matrix and futurebound stuff.

I'm currently waiting to find that new fresh talent in Dnb that really pushes things. I think camo and krooked were the last ones to do that but they've kinda fall into everything they do sounding really samey.

Here's one the old school folks might like better.

https://clyp.it/wb2xrf1h

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2009
Paid Member
It sound very well produced, both tracks ( as the others one you shared on your 3way thread too).
I get your comment about some of the older tracks to sound not as clear as what have been done afterward ( before 2010) but... with the search for perfectly produced tracks i've found a lot of creativity to had been lost ( and it's not directed toward your productions even if not exactly what i used to play). And i must say i'm not into the drum sounds used now, they works great for Dubstep but i find them boring once bpm is faster.

There is still some very good tracks produced but as you pointed there is less label, it's more difficult to find them imho. It's double edged sword: now everyone can produce things ( you don't have to cut vinyls) but there is less selection too so a lot of things to discard too, it can be tiring.

And yes the style isn't easy to make evolve into something more popular than it have been circa 2000/2005 in EU. And most people evolved to Dubxtep, BassMusic or Techno.

And i'm not sure the fact DJ are now 'rock stars' as in any rock band made things interesting for my generation: i initially switched from metal/indus to electronic music because i was fed up by the 'star system' and it was underground scene where music was more important than faces and attitude. And i wasn't the only one like that...