• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Elektor Claus Byrith 4-30

Last edited:
There's no need for a regulated heater supply, I'd say. Just drop excessive voltage by a suitable resistor after the filter cap. If there should be any hum left, get a 2nd cap after the resistor.
After all, all these components most probably take much more space and are much more expensive than a stock SMPS.
Best regards!

Yep or a 1n5820. You don't need more than 30v reverse voltage and the Vf gets better with lower reverse voltage. I suggested a regulator only because the hum is loud in the first place. If 50Hz hum is audible so might be 300mV of sawtooth rectified 100Hz as the higher harmonics the ear will be more sensitive. The TO220 will need a small heatsink (~1W). If you replace the 4k3 with a 4k7 and a 47K in parallel that's more accurate. No you don't need a pot.

Last edited:
Well RS used Parcelfarce to 'deliver' my parts and I'd nipped out. They're the only courier who won't leave parcels with a neighbour or in a safe place - so I don't get it till Monday.

I tried grounding one side of the heater voltage and running it to the EF86 in shielded cable but that didn't help. Then I found a BR2512 bridge rectifier in a drawer. So I fitted that, along with a 15kuF capacitor and Bob's your uncle - no hum. The heater voltage is too high at 6.9v but I can get that down - maybe a resistor or another capacitor. But other than that, job's a good 'un for the time being.

Thanks for all the help - it's been great.

Attachments

• IMG_3751.jpeg
    IMG_3751.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_3753.jpeg
    IMG_3753.jpeg
    328.4 KB · Views: 208