EVs Likely to Result in Dirtier Air than Gas Powered Cars (Fox News)

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Construction?
Existing Homes?

The point is not the home breaker's amp service rating.
The point is: how many existing homes have an extra, unused 220V outlet to do quicker charging of the EV.
Of course, everybody can hire an electrician, and a dry wall worker.
Problem solved, extra 220V outlet for existing homes.

Many apartments do not have a garage with free 220V outlets, or even have a garage.
They certainly do not have extra 220V outlets in the apartment itself.
Try running a 220V charging cable from the 3rd floor, down to your EV that is on the street.
That will not quite look like like the criss-cross street wiring of India, but it will be close to it.

A lot of the issues are about installed base, versus 50 years from now.
But, those still alive might be using EVs by then.

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
The problem with desert generation is that even empty desert isn't empty. There are things that live on it, in it and above it. They're highly adapted and relatively small changes in their habitat could mean extinction.

Everything comes freighted with consequences and it's hard to choose the least worst.

I would encourage everyone to have a look at the energy flow graphs for the US published by Lawrence Livermore National Labs or the DOE. (https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/sites/flowcharts/files/2023-10/US Energy 2022.png) The scope of the problem is truly staggering. As of 2022, the last year of fully compiled data, about 13% of our total energy input emerges as electricity. The transportation sector uses about 27.5% of the total energy input. According to the DOE, cars and light trucks consume approximately 50% of the transportation energy. Here is an extremely concerning number though - only .02% of electricity generated goes into transportation. If we convert only cars and light trucks to electric, then we will need to roughly double our electrical generating capacity, and the part that is often overlooked, our transmission capacity. Many parts of the grid, particularly in the Southeast, are already running at 70 to 90% capacity.
This discussion does not address the other sectors of our economy, namely, industrial, commercial, and residential. All of these are solvable problems, although I expect the timetable to look more like 50 years than 10.
Here's a technically-easy solution: have bidirectional chargers at most common parking spots (including homes). Boom, the public EV fleet becomes a huge source of energy storage and can provide energy when solar isn't there, or at night-time when there is no solar.

Of course, that would be very expensive. But for far too long, humans have been accruing the interest from unsustainable practices and Mother Nature has already started to collect. It would not be cheaper to stick our collective heads in the sand. There exist other options as well, that was just a simple one off the top of my head.

Let's not get started on the s***show that is Texas electricity.

Reactions: 1 user
By my estimates a Model 3 LRAWD is less than the cost of a $35,000 car, which is a very common price these days for a lower middle class car purchase. For example, a Honda Accord EX costs $31k base and a Ford F150, the most commonly purchased vehicle, starts at over $35k.
Tesla model 3 LR AWD is $64k CAD here, or $59k with the EV rebate. Even the standard RWD model 3 is $49k with the rebate. You can get a new Camry SE for $35k.

jeff

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Still though 'fuel consumption' costs me less than 5€/100km compared to >10€/100km for the Fiat Punto 1.4 I had before I went electric ... and won't ever go back
Now I am very much a fan of bangernomics so I run cars into the ground but if I read you right after 100,000km you've only saved a little over 5000€ over the petrol car. Doesn't seem a huge saving?

I'll also be very honest that I have never seen (or looked hard for) a total soup to nuts calculation of C02 produced by a car so I don't know if I am being good or bad by sticking with a 15 year old ICE because it just works (and kids trash cars).

I've also not looked at the average carbon footprint of electricity in UK vs petrol/diesel. Some days (like today) we get nearly 50% of electricity demand from wind but a few days ago it was 50% from gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.