Focal Polykevlar cones

Btw - the relatively high inductivity (mH) of the VC of many simple motor structures makes the freq resp (FR) quite flat , it's a marketing trick to boost the sales!

High saturation of the t-shaped pole piece is the holy grail and not easy to achieve so most manufacturers avoid this costly simulation from a FEA expert!

Btw - the relatively high inductivity (mH) of the VC of many simple motor structures makes the freq resp (FR) quite flat , it's a marketing trick to boost the sales!

High saturation of the t-shaped pole piece is the holy grail and not easy to achieve so most manufacturers avoid this costly simulation from a FEA expert!
Are you repeating advertising ideas or do you have some experience with this?

Maybe my question should have been placed in the Parts forum, but coverage here seems wider.

Does anyone here know a source of Focal Polykevlar cones, specifically for the 5K513L midwoofers?
Not 100% sure. Focal may make them. Just like so many companies "design the products that they sell". Not exactly the truth. I know of a few of the top two or three cone factories in the world. But I have not checked out about the Linen type that Focal is doing now. It is very niche. And my guess is that they do make it. FOCAL used to be very vertically integrated.

1715262529467.jpeg

The problem with this cone is the layup of the Kevlar. To get this from a vendor you would need to meet minimum MOQ (Minimum Order Quantities) For something like this it could be 500pcs on the low side. But I have walked past pressings of the kevlar midranges for B&W.

Reactions: 1 user
But I have walked past pressings of the kevlar midranges for B&W.
Some of the regular Kevlar cones B&W used or branded were licensed and made elsewhere. The former Philips factory in Dendermonde in Belgium, later D&M, now PSS, used to make the automobile version for B&W in the beginning of this millenium.
But I have not been able to trace the Focal cones yet: their composition looks a bit more sophisticated than B&W.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't trust those fancy fabric stuff at all , the matrix dope decides!

But I like thermoformed TPX , would be very nice to have a dome mid with TPX !!! (or an inverted U-disc floating object)

DKM offers a Zylon fabric must be thermo-formed at exactly 150 degree Celsius , but bonds very badly to any glue , so must be special treated first!

I think it's the same stuff Yamaha used for their revived monitors .... Beryllium - can it be recycled?

Regarding poisoning - only the worst individuals gonna survive , like me :)

Some of the regular Kevlar cones B&W used or branded were licensed and made elsewhere. The former Philips factory in Dendermonde in Belgium, later D&M, now PSS, used to make the automobile version for B&W in the beginning of this millenium.
But I have not been able to trace the Focal cones yet: their composition looks a bit more sophisticated than B&W.
Kevlar scream loudly in the midband. Every cone has a particular problem area. But Kevlar the problem area is right in the required passband of the driver. Attempts at reducing that ringing make for a heavy cone. To add to the fun and games many "Kevlar" cones are actually fiberglass. Same goes for carbon fiber cones. Actually visiting your vendors is an education all to itself.

Reactions: 2 users
That is because they are done in house for most part.
You will see one of the 'W' cones (fiber/rohacell/fibre) done in the beginning of the video.

They're cabinetry is subcontracted to a local woodworking company.

Take a look below:

Reactions: 2 users
Kevlar scream loudly in the midband. Every cone has a particular problem area. But Kevlar the problem area is right in the required passband of the driver. Attempts at reducing that ringing make for a heavy cone. To add to the fun and games many "Kevlar" cones are actually fiberglass. Same goes for carbon fiber cones. Actually visiting your vendors is an education all to itself.
Actually that is dependent on design, and execution of the driver itself mostly, not Kevlar. The data added below from the B&W LF00264 done by Zaph audio.
Also take note of the sensitivity compared to most 'hifi' midranges.

Yes there is a breakup and slight resonance at 3,5k, that deserves a gentle notch.
To me that is already out of the midrange.
Overall though it is cleaner then 99% of the "competition" even with that artefact, all the way to 10 k.
And that is with a 6 grams cone on a 6".
A 4" cone wil have that breakup Even higher in frequency.

The need for the heavy and damped cone is not really existing ?

Most people would be crossing that driver to match the directivity of a tweeter 2-2,5k. And not stretch it to 3,5k with a low order xo ala B&W.
And the sensitivity opens up for some interesting driver combinations in some cases.

Attachments

• B&W-FST-LF00264-FR (1).gif
    B&W-FST-LF00264-FR (1).gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 26
  • B&W-FST-LF00264-HD.gif
    B&W-FST-LF00264-HD.gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 26
  • B&W-FST-LF00264-TS.gif
    B&W-FST-LF00264-TS.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 24
  • B&W-FST-LF00264-IMP-2.gif
    B&W-FST-LF00264-IMP-2.gif