Function Generator with light bulb

Im reaching that age when you forget stuff.
Long story short. I was trying to build a test setup. And getting really crappy results.
Finally it dawned on me that that the real culprit was the crappy china made function generator.
Somebody mentioned this concept of building a function generator which had a light bulb. He mentioned that the idea / circuit had a patent. And pointed me to a youtube video where a young lady had built such a function generator.
This was years back.
Now all I can remember is you can built a simple high quality function generator using a light bulb. Google and searching cant find any info.
Anybody know anything about this concept or idea or patent ?.

It is probably a Wien-bridge sine generator, where the feedback loop contains a small lamp (6 V/50 mA or so, miniature lamp with wire legs). A comparator for turning sine to square, and an integrator for turning square to triangle might follow. A Wien-bridge oscillator generates low distortion sine in itself.
https://jet.hu/zar6005-rizsszem-izzo-6v50ma-feher-szinu-atlatszo-12174

• Thank You
Reactions: 3 users
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Use google...

Attachments

• NV_0901_Marston_FIG4.jpg
    NV_0901_Marston_FIG4.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 135-8825.png
    135-8825.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 59
  • sine_wien-1024x558.png
    sine_wien-1024x558.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 62
  • sinegen.gif
    sinegen.gif
    11.7 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: 1 user
Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
A precision regulator can be built from op-amps, diodes, a RC low-pass filter, and JFETs.
+1

Though getting good performance, i.e., fast settling, low noise, and low THD is a challenge. Victor's Oscillator is a good place to start.

Alternatively, have a look at state variable oscillators such as that used in the HP 8903A/B.

Tom

Reactions: 1 users
All low-distortion sine-wave oscillators are stabilized by a slow feedback loop consisting of an amplitude detector, low-pass filter, and a means to adjust the oscillator's gain or phase.

The slow feedback loop must act slowly because it is causing distortion!

I notice that ultra-low distortion oscillators tend to be fixed-frequency. A long time ago, I designed a variable-frequency oscillator. I can see it settle after I turn the knobs. :)
Ed

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
While not the absolute best available, the HP 239A is a very nice AF oscillator and is fairly inexpensive if you can find one.

Specs:

Distortion (>600R Load, < 3 V Output):
10 Hz to 20 kHz: < -95 dB (0.0018%) THD
20 kHz to 30 kHz: < - 85 dB (0.0056%) THD
30 kHz to 50 kHz: < - 80 dB (0.01 %) THD
50 kHz to 110 kHz: < - 70 dB (0.032%) THD

It is probably a Wien-bridge sine generator, where the feedback loop contains a small lamp (6 V/50 mA or so, miniature lamp with wire legs). A comparator for turning sine to square, and an integrator for turning square to triangle might follow. A Wien-bridge oscillator generates low distortion sine in itself.
https://jet.hu/zar6005-rizsszem-izzo-6v50ma-feher-szinu-atlatszo-12174
The resistance vs. filament temp characteristic of the bulb is used to stabilize the Wien bridge generator voltage so that it does not go into clipping.

I've been using small lamps which I think (cannot remember exact) are 28V types and low current. The cold resistance is 75 and 120ohms for the two types I bought 10each of. Got them from digikey. .
Try here:
https://www.digikey.no/en/products/filter/incandescent-neon-lamps/101?s=N4IgjCBcoCxaBjKAzAhgGwM4FMA0IB7KAbRBgCYwBWADgnwupvJAcpgGYWBdfABwAuUEAGUBAJwCWAOwDmIAL74AbB3ggkkNFjyESIGgHZDYGqxABOQzAAMa-GDDKqNi+ae1lPfkMiiJMvJK4DRq0BooGDj4RJCkHLQcHMogvCCCwmJScor4ALQs4ZoSAK66saRUqQo1QA

I am pretty sure I selected the ones with 25k hours life.

Anyways, this type of oscillator works pretty good. You need gain of 3x. I use the 75ohm version in my latest, the feedback is a 133ohm in series with a 200ohm pot which has a 100ohm resistor in parallel. This gives an easy adjustment. For this one I needed a low THD sine at 300kHz, and when adjusted it hits about -106dB THD and has peaked at -109dB. This using an LTC6228 opamp. I have a 10ohm resistor in series with the lamp, haven't had time to test if that has an effect, my idea was a little pure resistance might make the lamp side of the network less 'twitchy' or sensitive. I dunno, need to experiment.
Oh be sure to have a small dab of bluetack on the lamp because else they are microphonic as hell. The bluetack cure that 100%.

Edit: listed wrong opamp... corrected now

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
The lamp(s) chosen will affect the stability and the distortion of the oscillator. It is a balancing act to ensure that the resistance of the lamp changes with increasing feedback current but also that is does not get hot enough to increase the dissipation rate as this will lead to greatly increased distortion at low frequencies. The solution often found in later iterations of HP's oscillators is to use two or three bulbs in series. It should be noted that these bulbs were carefully chosen for their delta-R over temperature and were usually binned for these characteristics. In other words, just any old lamp won't necessarily work well and enable very low distortion.

Bill Hewlett's master thesis as well as articles in several of the early HP Journals go into quite a bit of detail on the theory and application of the incandescent bulbs in the feedback loop.