Hifimediy ES9023+TE7022 24/96 USB Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got one of these and A/B'ed it with a couple of other DACs I have. I set things up so that the output levels were quite close and so that I could switch back and forth between two DACs in less than a second while playing a well recorded lossless file. I compared this little DAC with an HRT MusicStreamer+ and Icon uDAC2. The HRT absolutely trounced it -- it isn't even worth going into the details. The uDAC wasn't quite so obviously better but after listening to a few tracks it was (to my ears) clear that the uDAC was the better unit. The most noticeable flaw in this $42 DAC is that the midrange is overly forward and at times strident. It might have its place with systems that sound a bit veiled or need a good kick in the frequencies covered by female vocals...maybe. I'm going to compare it to the DACs on a couple of computers. I wouldn't be surprised if it is still a step up from the on-board sound found on the typical laptop.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have noticed the what, to me, is a forward midrange so easily without being able to compare it the HRT MS+. My speakers are fairly neutral. The mid/tweets are powered by a reasonably good PP EL84 unit. I can imagine systems that might have a better synergy with the Hifimediy DAC.

Mine sound very very good, but also completely different from my AD1852 and Twisted Pear DACs with discrete output stages. I didn't notice "an overly forward midrange" as my other DACs have even more forward midranges and I prefer that sound. It's on par with high end DACs, just sounds very different.

I found it quite good for driving headphones directly, but it sounds smoother with a headphone amp.

There is a slight hiss if you turn up your amp's gain with no music playing. Not a big deal.

Hi, I just come by and find this topic today. And I'm very glad that you like this toy :)

I like this "toy" a lot, also with this price this is quite something! I have already bought two of them (Vers. 1 and Vers.1.1, the difference is small and somehow interesting).

Until now I have only used this device for secondary purposes, but I think it will be great fun to "tweak" a little bit more out of it. As there is already a number of very good details built in and good parts too. Can you post the schematics and maybe more details about the DAC?

Yeah! I was wondering if there is a way to jump tenor and feed directly the ess9023 by a i2s signal...

Me too. I have some Audio GD TE8802 boards and a CM6631 USB->I2S assy coming. 24bit 192kHz USB to I2S / SPDIF PCB CM6631 with ultralow noise 6.5uV regulator | eBay

I envision a 4PDT center off toggle switch, or would that mess with the I2S signals too much? When I bought the TE8802 boards I got plenty of extra RJ45 to ribbon-wire adapter boards too. [I do not see them offered there any more]

The TE8802 needs some clean 3.3V. The CM6631 board uses USB power? [easily changed]. Meanwhile Audio GD has, I think, switched to
VIA Vinyl EnvyUSB 2.0 Audio Controller

VT1730?
VIA Vinyl EnvyUSB 2.0 Audio Controller - VIA Technologies, Inc.

The HRT absolutely trounced it -- it isn't even worth going into the details. The uDAC wasn't quite so obviously better but after listening to a few tracks it was (to my ears) clear that the uDAC was the better unit. The most noticeable flaw in this $42 DAC is that the midrange is overly forward and at times strident.

I have to disagree. While most reviewers preferring uDAC2 over HRT+ (thats explainable considering DACs used) I personally compared mine uDAC2 with this DAC and uDAC is worse mostly in midrange, bass is slightly better defined here too. Thats easily explainable since uDAC has TPA4411 headphone driver on its output which is far from being audiophile with THD+N about 0.1% @ 1 KHz (but it allows to control volume and drive wider range of headphones and has no output caps, voila!). Easily, to me this DAC is a clear winner in all areas, being used with UCD180 amp or AD700 cans.

Not to mention one of mine uDACS amp has failed at once (it is common for TPA4411 which is used on many notebooks btw) and I had to connect ES9023 output directly to RCA. This one is undistinguishable from this DAC and thats perfectly explainable too. There is no magic left these days, at least in DIY forums ;)

mfaughn, since you are only one who noticed this amount of differences between this DAC and buffered version (uDAC2) only explanation could be serious input impedance problems on your amp.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.