how do add a light to a mains-filter?

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Hi!
I am building a quite beefy mains filter with 5 outlets. There isn't a switch or anything DC and it's all 230V passing through.
Although it's a more or less passive thing, adding a LED indicator (ideally one per mains out, maybe even indicating wether it's active or not if this does not mean adding sensing devices etc.) would be nice.
Been searching the web and am not really satisfied, so I come here to ask:

Do you know how I could do it or where I could have a look/get directions or a clue?

Thanks...

[edit: The jig will be quite similar to the one uploaded, same filters, similar layout]

Attachments

• Bild.jpeg
    Bild.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
IMHO while not strictly what you asked for, what would be more useful is building the typical "outlet tester":
https://images.app.goo.gl/CZ5Gs5RRNWb1eTGY8

Some modern LEDs, I think blue and white ones, would require antiparallel diodes. They are so sensitive to avalanching that the leakage current of a reverse-biased silicon diode flowing through them in reverse can damage them after a while. @Elvee knows more about it, if I remember well. There was a thread here some time ago from someone whose LEDs got damaged that way.

Reactions: 1 user
Some modern LEDs, I think blue and white ones, would require antiparallel diodes. They are so sensitive to avalanching that the leakage current of a reverse-biased silicon diode flowing through them in reverse can damage them after a while. @Elvee knows more about it, if I remember well. There was a thread here some time ago from someone whose LEDs got damaged that way.
That's a good tip. In a commercial tester, they are usually 2 yellow LED's plus 1 red LED, the red used between neutral and ground to indicate a problem.

Detecting the presence of the 230V is trivial, but I think that the OP wants to detect which port is actually used, meaning some kind of current detection.
And yes @MarcelvdG is right: blue (and thus white) LEDs are very sensitive to reverse-bias damage. Which doesn't mean that wiring an old red or green LED directly on AC without antiparallel diode is recommended. It will not fail immediately, but its life will be curtailed

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Here is an example of multiple current detectors. There is a common part, and as many sub-circuits as the number of ports to monitor.
The sim shows the current through the indication LEDs for loads of 0, 220mA and 900mA.
Obviously, there are trade-offs regarding the minimum load and the value of the sensing shunts R2 R8 R11.
The shunts could be also made larger if they are paralleled with antiparallel schottky diodes.
The circuit is far from optimum, and could be improved in many ways, by using a PNP for Q1 for example.
The brightness of the LEDs gives an idea of the load current.

1703164874218.png

Attachments

• Imon.asc
    6.7 KB · Views: 33
Hi!
I am building a quite beefy mains filter with 5 outlets. There isn't a switch or anything DC and it's all 230V passing through.
Although it's a more or less passive thing, adding a LED indicator (ideally one per mains out, maybe even indicating wether it's active or not if this does not mean adding sensing devices etc.) would be nice.
Been searching the web and am not really satisfied, so I come here to ask:

Do you know how I could do it or where I could have a look/get directions or a clue?

Thanks...

[edit: The jig will be quite similar to the one uploaded, same filters, similar layout]
I would do a simple approach and use an industrial neon pilot light.
氖泡3-6.jpg