Klipscheads Unite!

MC39693. Perhaps others will arrive here. I’ll keep an eye out there but, enjoy the technical modifications as they used to be, hence checking in here. Super Heresy, ALK modified universals, DAVEA SMAHL with DE120, B&C 12CL76... all working well. Built my own Heresy crossovers but not using authorized parts..l long ago using Crites and Parts Express. Etc etc... oh well, onwards and upwards.

Starting to come here more and more to expand my horizons further. Who else is here?
I just joined. I was on the Klipsch forum as Dave MacKay (same name as here).

I started my audio journey about 15 months ago when I bought a pair of 1986 La Scalas. I just finished refinishing and improving them (by laminating additional plywood panels to address bass bin resonance, using Dave A's SMAHL tweeters, and replacing the 35 year-old networks with new AAs from Crites).

I think the La Scalas are excellent speakers and I'm enjoying them. However, I like to tinker and believe that they can be improved. I don't want to have fossils; I want to use new ideas, parts, and technologies to make them even better,

The Klipsch forum had been both enjoyable and helpful. However, now that discussions of competitive products (like anything from Crites) have been banned and posts are being censored, I needed to find a new forum. I've signed up here and at Audiokarma.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm on the Klipsch Forum as "Edgar". I've been there, here on diyAudio, and on AudioKarma for many years. The vast majority of my activity has been on the Klipsch forum, and I will continue to participate there. But modifications and non-Klipsch tech content have to go either here or to AudioKarma.

I just joined. I was on the Klipsch forum as Dave MacKay (same name as here).

I started my audio journey about 15 months ago when I bought a pair of 1986 La Scalas. I just finished refinishing and improving them (by laminating additional plywood panels to address bass bin resonance, using Dave A's SMAHL tweeters, and replacing the 35 year-old networks with new AAs from Crites).

I think the La Scalas are excellent speakers and I'm enjoying them. However, I like to tinker and believe that they can be improved. I don't want to have fossils; I want to use new ideas, parts, and technologies to make them even better,

The Klipsch forum had been both enjoyable and helpful. However, now that discussions of competitive products (like anything from Crites) have been banned and posts are being censored, I needed to find a new forum. I've signed up here and at Audiokarma.
I just wanted to connect with people from the Klipsch Forum who have migrated here. Been a member for a while but totally inactive. That will change.

I'm on the Klipsch Forum as "Edgar". I've been there, here on diyAudio, and on AudioKarma for many years. The vast majority of my activity has been on the Klipsch forum, and I will continue to participate there. But modifications and non-Klipsch tech content have to go either here or to AudioKarma.
gberchin, the artist formerly know as Edgar. You are one of the sharpest guys on the K. I just wanted to connect with people from the Klipsch Forum who have migrated here. Been a member for a while but totally inactive. That will change.

• Thank You
I just wanted to connect with people from the Klipsch Forum who have migrated here.
While I agree with Klipsch on the arguing and name-calling, I really don't understand their position on modifications. As I said there, the auto companies found that a thriving aftermarket actually increased demand for their products. Every product is necessarily a compromise, and if certain customers are willing to shell-out extra cash to eliminate some of those compromises, I think it's in their best interest to encourage it (and maybe even provide products to do so).

Yeah, it's strange days there. Not liking it, but not bailing either. Ignore works. A lot. Not sure why people can't self-police at least the knucklehead-stuff. The Mod->Resto thing is a separate issue. I understand some of the intent, but I also know a great number of productive exchanges that have happened would seem unwelcome as new topics for the moment. All that-said, their dime. I'd think the Klipsch subforum on AK would be sensible/appropriate vs. the wild west of diyA multi-way. Coytee and some others are around over there, but there is less "geek" at AK than here, to be sure.

I suppose the moderators here are giving you a lot of slack for this thread, which is not actually a Multiway topic...but something else. For that, you should thank them for their forbearance (and this thread may still get moved--so don't get upset if it does because they like to keep things tidy).

There are many more individuals on this forum than the one you just came from that are both knowledgeable and that hold considerably different opinions on audio and how to do it. My recommendation: you need to also exercise a great deal of forbearance and with it time to let what they say sink in when they say things that surprise you.

There are also a few individuals that appear to push their own agendas (or worse, they try to upset people and threads). Watch carefully what happens and what doesn't. The moderators will do little or nothing here, except lock threads if it gets really bad. Ad hominum attacks are tolerated by the moderators, so gird up your loins. They will do no editing of user posts, however. The opinions you'll find here are very international in flavor, with certain nationalities that become prominent. That's also part of the deal here. Give them some room.

What is important in the Multiway section: this is all about "DIY" and finding out things for yourself. If you want to just converse about non-audio stuff, there is a place on the forum to do that, but don't expect that many here will be fanboys of the same things that you hold dear and close to the heart. This Multiway subforum will expect that you're doing DIY, not trying to curry favor to someone's opinion of how well you "tow the line" from a loudspeaker branding perspective. Branding means little to nothing here. This is as it should be for DIY.

Having said all the above, be prepared to learn a lot about audio technologies and about a lot of people that you probably don't know much about presently--that do know a lot. They can help you be successful...but sometimes it won't feel very good at the time.

JMTC.

Chris A

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
One thing I omitted: this forum is dominated by the "direct radiator loudspeaker" crowd. Horns/waveguides are the exception. Just get used to it, and put your "direct radiator" filter on when reading through the thread topics. Most people who are using direct radiator designs don't appreciate advice that pulls them into the horn world. For one thing, it's more difficult from a theory and implementation perspective.

But you will find a few threads that use horn-loaded loudspeakers as their basis. Some of them are very interesting. In particular, you will find that there are the multiple entry horn (MEH) projects here, and they use tools that make that task doable (i.e., DSP crossovers and measurement software). There are as many here that are using DSP crossovers and direct radiating loudspeaker designs, too. But just about everyone here understands how important it is to measure the acoustic output to understand what you've accomplished.

A few try to use modeling software only, but I would characterize these individuals as "fringe users", since you never really know what you've got until you actually measure its output. So REW isn't the only measurement tool used--there are others. I recommend picking one acoustic measurement tool (usually freeware) and staying with it. I use REW, but others use their own choices. As far a I can see, most of them are equivalent in terms of capabilities--with only the display of data being different.

Lots of people still use passive crossover networks. These implementations are usually for those that had to take a course in electrical circuit theory at some point in their lives and want to stay with that (i.e, nostalgia), or their budgets are so small that they can't or won't afford anything more capable or expensive. I always recommend looking beyond passives. (I don't use any passive crossovers in my multichannel setup.)

Chris A

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, Chris.
Looks like you saw what was coming on "the other forum" long before the rest of us. I think we'll all still participate there, but the constraints have tightened considerably in the past few weeks.
There don't appear to be any manufacturer-specific subforums here, except for Pass Labs. So it will be interesting to see where this ends up.
To keep things on-topic: I am a strong proponent of DSP crossovers.
- Greg

86743D51-DAC9-4C06-9A33-89976282EE62.jpeg

This is my recent completed project. It was well documented in the tech mod section. However, the thread was deleted without notice or reason. I still have some tweaking to do, but they are making sound.

I mostly participated in the tech mod section. That is mostly what I want to discuss, or more appropriately learn about. There is/was a great knowledge base there, hopefully we can move the discussions here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you saw what was coming on "the other forum" long before the rest of us.
Yes, I was warned by a good source exactly one year ago. It took me a couple of weeks to finally let go (as I recommend that you reconsider--more seriously). It's a real shame. I don't believe that it's going to get better there but actually worse--like them shutting that forum down.

The good news is that we can speak freely here about what we think about audio without someone changing your post or deleting the thread ((i.e., really bad manners on their part). I think the membership of this forum will actually benefit from the added perspectives of those that were regular members there, and those that make the transition here will certainly benefit from the perspective of getting better sound quality at a much lower price.

There don't appear to be any manufacturer-specific subforums here
There used to be a Pass Labs subforum, and if you look under "Marketplace: More Vendors", you'll see a lot more names there.

To keep things on-topic: I am a strong proponent of DSP crossovers.
Little revelation there, since you made your living doing digital filtering (DSP) until last winter. For those that may not know the name, Greg Berchin has published on the subject of audio DSP, etc. I recommend talking to him if you have theory or implementation questions on that subject.

86743D51-DAC9-4C06-9A33-89976282EE62.jpeg This is my recent completed project. It was well documented in the tech mod section. However, the thread was deleted without notice or reason. I still have some tweaking to do, but they are making sound.
I'd resurrect what you can here (perhaps archive.org / Wayback Machine has something saved). It's a crime to do what they did on the other forum. Your work helps others also increase their enjoyment and listening pleasure.

Chris