Last of the Beatles?

I'm eagerly awaiting Peter Jackson’s music video for the song which is said to be due for release tomorrow, Friday Nov. 3.

Then, the following Friday, Nov. 10, expanded versions of the “1962-66” and “1967-70” collections, featuring dozens of new stereo mixes, will be available to extract even more money from the wallets of Beatle fanatics like me who just can't get enough of the Fab Four!

Reactions: 1 user
Naturally, being a fanatic I pre-ordered this from iTunes and listened to it this morning, really enjoyed it. Very moving to hear them again.

Nice George-like slide solo, too, played by Paul as a tribute.

It was very touching that John wrote "For Paul" on the demo cassette.

Amazing technology to isolate and clean up John's voice like that; if that could be done with the Star Club tapes that would be really cool.

I won't be buying the 'red and blue sets', but; I already have all the tracks and the new mixes of the early stuff would have to be pretty good to justify the $$ when there will be other Christmas music such as the 'new' Hendrix Hollywood Bowl show. Like many fans I was hoping for a re-mixed Rubber Soul, maybe next year?

Many thanks to Paul, Ringo and all involved for finishing this one.

Geoff

Last edited:
Of course it's a commercial operation for EMI, like the number of remasters/remixes of Beatles and Pink Floyd albums. I've lost track of the many remasters of Dark Side of the Moon!

At least Now and Then is new music. It's a more honest recording than say, the latest studio releases from the Hendrix Estate, where the albums have apparently been created with Pro-Tools from various fragments and takes; and sadly of course, no participation from anyone from the original sessions. With few exceptions, the last three albums sound quite stilted, although each has some great moments.

If there were any more Beatles tapes or Lennon demos, I think they would have been unearthed by now: practically everything pre-1970 has been either officially released or bootlegged.

While they never 're-united', the ex-Beatles participated in some of each others' solo albums: Ringo played on George's; Paul, John and George all played on Ringo's; George played an important role on the Imagine album; and Ringo has played on some of Paul's. Paul and Ringo played on 'All Those Years Ago'.

Geoff

I was non criticising the Beatles' song per se, we are very lucky to have had the possibility to live in the same era and to listen to the albums of the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jaco Pastorius, Tom Waits, etc.
I undestand that Remasters are big business for the majors but the great problem is that music manager are more preoccupied to produce the fancy edition of a group of 50-60 years ago than discover and promote new talents. Unfortunately, that's a old long story.

PS I have the 24 bit remaster of the fab four, but the sound is so clean and the atmoshere so soft with respect to the original releases that makes me prefer these latter.

Saverio

Well it's sweet that they can pull John's voice clean out from a in-room duet with a piano. It'd be fun to learn more about how they did it. Being a John song, I'll probably like it, as I've thought of John as my "favorite" Beatle. Somehow, I can relate to most of his work.

Well it's sweet that they can pull John's voice clean out from a in-room duet with a piano. It'd be fun to learn more about how they did it. Being a John song, I'll probably like it, as I've thought of John as my "favorite" Beatle. Somehow, I can relate to most of his work.
Rick Beato has just done a video about how it was done on his YouTube channel:

Geoff

Rick Beato has just done a video about how it was done on his YouTube channel:
Thanks! I like Rick and what he does. Looked up the chords last night, as he said very John in his choices. I think I can handle the Am to Em on guitar. I (try to) play a couple Lennon tunes; "and I love her", "love is real" and one I hope to approach getting right in this lifetime, "no. 9 dream". I'll try to add this one in.

You know I actually rephrase some stuff to accommodate my slow hand; stupid Bm takes a while to get my fingers to fold around it. Actual slow hand, not Clapton's "slow hand".