Last of the Beatles?

Judging by the presentation and what all involved have said, it's certainly the last new track, although we might get treated to re-mixes (a la Revolver) of Rubber Soul and maybe other early albums with out-takes etc.

A bloke in the pub commented that the Now and Then video moved him to tears.

Geoff

Some of us old farts here cut our eye teeth - or perhaps lost our “innocence” during the Beatles/Stones era, so the tendency to nostalgia is certainly there, but I got far more of a kick from watching what must have been a fun stitch together from performances spanning almost 50 years than the music itself. In other words, to be polite - meh.
Since the key to extracting John’s lacklustre vocal from a shoddy cassette demo tape was the AI software developed by/for Peter Jackson, anyone seen that documentary, and is it worth chasing down?

Since the key to extracting John’s lacklustre vocal from a shoddy cassette demo tape was the AI software developed by/for Peter Jackson, anyone seen that documentary, and is it worth chasing down?
If you're a Beatles fan at all, definitely yes, see "Get Back" at least once, though it IS a total of eight hours. The video and audio seem like it was recorded last week as opposed to 54 years ago. It has several takes (or parts of them) both before and after Billy Preston joined in of the song Get Back and others.. It includes songs not on the album Let It Be such as "Maxwell's Silver Hammer." It of course ends with the concert on the roof, where about hald the songs on the album are from.
Some parts of this mini-documentary are similar to Get Back:

It's on Netflix, I don't know of any other way to see it.

Watching this and recalling that if you played the "Rubber Soul" LP backwards you could hear "Paul is dead now".

The Beatles were the most important "hinge" in pop music in the 20th century.
There was also 'Strawberry Fields Forever', with John saying 'Cranberry Sauce' in the fade out. Some people chose to hear that as 'I buried Paul. Many othet 'clues', conspiracy theories and plain BS abound.

Fil from 'Wings of Pegasus' has done a great YouTube video analysis which proves - as if he really needed to - that Paul didn't die in 1966.
He uses musical analysis and common sense......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nARWOoxGfA

Fil's 'song analysis' videos are well worth an optic, too.

Not sure about the Red and Blue albums, the new Red mixes sound pretty good but most of the Blue album is covered by the recent Giles Martin re-issues anyway.

Geoff

Last edited:
I think that's why their videos are so good: unlike various other 'YouTubers', they're really good musicians and bring those skills to bear to help our appreciation and enjoyment of music. They also explain things in language that non-musicians can understand.

Fil recently did some videos on how some re-releases have auto-tuned voices and instruments to 'improve performances and in doing so, ruin the character of the music. Rick has also done some videos on the over use (or should that be use at all) of auto-tune.

Geoff

At the risk of repeating myself, I particularly enjoy Fil’s videos where he employs some type of magic software whose name escapes me - as is possibly irrelevant to the conversation? - to isolate vocals to demonstrate with spectral analysis the atrocities of over-use of AutoTune in the goal of “correcting” the pitch, and how more times than not it’s the imperfections that give the performances their drama.
Just a thought.

Fil showed the damage done by AutoTune to an Eagles live track, he used that magic software to show how the vocal was ruined.

I dread to think how many other artists' live (or studio releases for that matter) will be subjected to that process to 'improve' the sound. Imagine Hendrix' 'Machine Gun' being changed to remove the out of tune bits; pure cultural vandalism. Or Pro Tools taking Paul's fluff out of Maxwell's Silver Hammer, I won't go on!

I've listened to the new Red and Blue releases and really like the punch of the drums on the red collection; not so keen on the apparent reduction of dynamic range on the CD versions, compared to the LPs as demonstrated by Parlogram Auctions' web site.

Geoff