Resolved - Implemented Like buttons

Founder
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I wish someone would say more so people can understand the trepidation. This has been a solved problem for years now

You can read some strong counter-arguments starting here: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/forum-migration-general-q-a.376807/post-6815090

There is also our own case when I enabled them 10 years ago and they were disabled within a week due to weaponization between subjectivists and objectivists (that was more of a point scoring system IIRC, but it was so long ago I can't remember nor find the details).

For my POV, it's in the post. I like like buttons. They'll be coming, and if they don't work we'll try something different.

Founder
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Post "Likes" have now been switched on, with a secondary "Thanks" reaction available.

We are going to trial them being switched on for 7 days and then review how they are working out. This will let us "see how it goes" and look at any concrete examples of problems (imagined or real) as we have them in front of us.

• Thank You
Reactions: 5 users
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The reaction list would need to be removed so it's about the posts, not the poster...

Screenshot from 2022-02-14 00-36-37.png

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I actually don’t like FB‘s like-button just as much as I don’t like FB.

On the other hand, here, in these very forums, despite some raging occurring now and then, the overall experience is one of deep cooperation.

Still though, one of the characteristics buried in the flat structure of the forum is that so many questions are asked over and over again.

The good thing about this is that everyone gets involved, the bad thing about it is that the experts are getting tired.

So if a like-button of sorts is of any help to find good answers, yes, let us have it! (I wonder if something similar to stackoverflow could help us even further? … a powerful search function would be important, too…)

Administrator
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Can we fix some things that are actual problems, too?
We have been fixing problems continually - if you check the changelog you will see a stream of updates as we work through things with the time and resources available. Some other items have been covered well by the mods in discussions But in case I missed something is there a specific problem you mean to refer to?

Also by way of background, while it may appear that the Likes / reactions thing is pure distraction we have a very specific problem space we are working on with it.

The easy part to explain is to remove clutter posts where people respond in order to acknowledge the prior post but which add no content (for example when people thank the person who helped them).

The second is a longer term play to improve information quality and search results by better understanding what posts / threads / content carry the value of a discussion. This is something we have been considering for months, as the content grows larger and much of it gets older. We have a number of ideas that we are considering for that and one of them is to understand how people will use a reactions system if we turn it on. Hence this experiment.

It is my belief the the majority of diyAudio members are not idiots or trolls and so I have high hopes that a reactions system might contribute to high quality discussions and comments, and help further reduce the few snarky sarcastic posts thoughtlessly made by people who should know better and who contribute little or nothing to the discussion either in terms of content or financial support.

Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
It is my belief the the majority of diyAudio members are not idiots or trolls
Indeed, but I'm finding that incorrect information is being liked in a similar way as it was being accepted before.. maybe the underlying mood has changed slightly.

Everyone who is here to learn accepts a lot on faith, and as Dunning and Krueger said to us all, you can't know what you don't know ;) Traditionally we just have further discussion :D

We have been fixing problems continually - if you check the changelog you will see a stream of updates as we work through things with the time and resources available. Some other items have been covered well by the mods in discussions But in case I missed something is there a specific problem you mean to refer to?

Also by way of background, while it may appear that the Likes / reactions thing is pure distraction we have a very specific problem space we are working on with it.

The easy part to explain is to remove clutter posts where people respond in order to acknowledge the prior post but which add no content (for example when people thank the person who helped them).

The second is a longer term play to improve information quality and search results by better understanding what posts / threads / content carry the value of a discussion. This is something we have been considering for months, as the content grows larger and much of it gets older. We have a number of ideas that we are considering for that and one of them is to understand how people will use a reactions system if we turn it on. Hence this experiment.

It is my belief the the majority of diyAudio members are not idiots or trolls and so I have high hopes that a reactions system might contribute to high quality discussions and comments, and help further reduce the few snarky sarcastic posts thoughtlessly made by people who should know better and who contribute little or nothing to the discussion either in terms of content or financial support.

The mobile experience is still lacking, and I see no activity in that area.

I never said reactions were a distraction, in fact I was quite an advocate for getting them enabled, which is clearly evidenced in this thread. What continues to be a frustration is what appears to be continued FUD in regard to weaponization, a la removing reaction scores. Apologies if my interpretation is incorrect.

Quality and discovery are lofty goals, and I'd certainly applaud any progress in that area. Sadly reactions won't get you there, as there's simply no consistency for how and why people react to what they do. I've even seen a surprisingly large number of people who like every post they read regardless of content. They're a surrogate for non-'verbal' communication, and that's about it.

Last paragraph doesn't really make sense, except to seemingly throw shade at me. Fine.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
"I actually don’t like FB‘s like-button just as much as I don’t like FB."

I like the like and positive reactions. The sad, angry and laughing reaction I don't like. I feel like if you're going to react like that, you ought to speak up.

I have been using the like function quite a bit on the forum. One way I use it is if someone writes a response to me and I don't want to clutter up a thread with an actual response, I will give it a thank you if that is all I wanted to say anyways. I also tend to like post where people go out of their way to help others and where people contribute something that I think is really significant.

I think Facebook's problem is when they added the angry and laughing emojis. People will go out on a limb and express an opinion and then someone will just laugh at them.

Another thing I dislike about Facebook is that there's no real easy way to search for information that was posted there. There are a few groups that I am a member of. If I want to look something up, I look on the forums not Facebook as Facebook is terrible for that and often cluttered it with people being terrible to one another.

Reactions: 1 user