New to forum, just got first sub and amp installed: question about bottoming out

Hey y'all! So I got a cerwin vega hed 10 DVC in a sealed box and a nesa td-80 for an Amp installed on April 1st. I quickly found out I was bottoming out so I went back to the shop that installed it and upgraded to another cerwin vega, this time the VEGA 10", still in the same sealed box. Sadly I'm running into the same bottoming out issue, but I wanted to inquire about why thats happening. I also smell the coil after I play. Could that be due to too much power, or clipping? I'm on stock speakers and stock radio from factory In a nissan rogue sport.

20240406_163208.jpg

So this was the old sub but it's the same box still

Ported enclosure?

As suggested, a subsonic filter could help.

When an amp is driven into clipping, they tend to lose control of the woofer and that can cause bottoming.

Too much power is also a concern. Some voice coils will smell for a short time but it's generally due to the woofer being driven too hard.

If you rotate the enclosure so the woofer is facing front/back, does that make a difference?

Ported will be more problematic.

If you push on the cone until the woofer is fully back and then release, does the cone immediately return to center or does it slowly return to center?

A sub will often produce greater low bass when firing into a trunk or some other barrier. Facing forward is sometimes better for some systems and music. You have to decide what's best for your listening tastes.

1712866957674.png

ok, since the box you already bought and there is no specs
you can calculate the tuning freq of it measuring the internal volume of the enclosure

just measure 3 sides of the box to get the volume ( L x W x H )
i guess it is MDF so lets say 3/4" MDF
so you need to substract that times 2 for your 3 sides

Example, imagine your box measure 12" x 10" x 12"
we will use 3/4" thick material for this calculation

so it will be... 12"-1.5" (.75 times 2 ) and 10"-1.5" and 12"-1.5"
so.... 10.5x8.5x10.5 is 937.12cm2 in liters it will be 15.35L

you need to measure yours...
below is the cerwing vega recommended volume sizes for your driver

0.75ft3 (21.20L) for sealed
1.25ft3 (35.37L ) for ported (bass reflex)

also
i see you have a subsonic filter set that around 40 to 43hz for now

let us know what are the dimensions of your box

1712865777236.png

BUT!!!!

looks like your driver TS parameters call for a higher tuning of 43HZ
so set your subsonic filter at 40 to 43Hz and see what happens

1712866739681.png

Last edited: