• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Not exactly DIY: help packing tube amp

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hi all,

so it is not exactly about amp design, but I would appreciate some help and shared experience with a tube amp shipping. So I bought a line magnetic Lm-518 amp. The amp was offered for a pickup without any box. My friend got it for and now I need to figure out how to ship the beast. It is ~80lb big amp and I have no idea what would be the best way to pack and ship it across the country (US). Maybe you have some experience and know where to get packing material and what would be wrapping techniques. I appreciate any help. Thank you! Here are the pictures, weight and dimensions: https://www.hifi-amplifiers.com/en/...class-a-singleended-amplifier-24w2-p-869.html

Joined 2011
Really heavy. I would pack and ship all the tubes separately.

You want very thick and heavy cardboard boxes (wood will break). One closely fits the amp, with foam rubber around the chassis.
then double box it with a 50% larger thick, heavy cardboard box. You may have to fabricate your own boxes to fit properly.
Layers of foam rubber (at least one inch thick) in between the boxes, on ALL sides, top, and bottom, filling all of the spaces.
Do NOT use styrofoam, this is way too heavy for that.

Tape both boxes securely with strapping tape. Note the knobs, sockets, and switches are very exposed to damage.
Cut some cardboard shims to fit around them, and use painter's tape to secure the shims to the chassis.

If when you finish packing, you think it's way over packed, then it MIGHT get through without damage.
Be sure to adhere the shipping label(s) to the TOP of the box, near the middle. This helps to keep the top side on top.
Supposedly FedEx is the safest method.

• Thank You
Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2011
Not good enough, the amp is too heavy. Styrofoam will NOT work, no matter how thick it is.
Please understand that this box may be dropped on a corner, from several feet up, onto a concrete floor.
Only thick sheets of real foam rubber (not fake cheap foam), covering the entire surface of each of the 6 sides
of the inner box, will work. No corner pieces. Also, shipper will likely not honor the insurance you pay for,
as this will not be the original shipping carton. I assure you that all this is not just idle conjecture.

The only way to avoid the very real risk of damage from dropping is to palletize the carton.
But then you have to cap it, to avoid damage from heavy stuff being dropped on top of the box.
https://www.palletcap.com/

Reactions: 1 user
Nah , buy a styrofoam sheets from Home depot and two boxes one 1.5 -2 " bigger than amp and another with the same ratio. If HD won't have the suitable size try Lowes , Wal-Mart and U- haul. Line the boxes with styrofoam and make sure nothing moves around. Label the box all around and buy fedex girl a chocolate to afix fragile labels. Give $10 during Sundays Mass in local church and you should be fine. AS LONG AS YOU INSURE THE PACKAGE TO FULL VALUE.

I like to use thick pink foam insulation board for packing -. With stuff having heavy transformers on the top, invert the chassis and use the foam board under the the chassis top and under each transformer to limit movement during transit.

I would not trust FedEx or UPS to pack this. I've received to many amps wrapped in bubble wrap and smashed to bits. I'm with Rayma. A 2' x 6' sheet of 4" furniture foam is $37 and is easy to cut into fitted pieces:

https://www.amazon.com/GoTo-Foam-Height-Upholstery-Cushion/dp/B07S7ZQQVY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

I pack any amp I build or restore in a heavy-duty Lowes or Home Dept moving box nestled in furniture foam and I have never had an issue.

I would also pack the tubes in a large Priority Mail box and send them separately.

Reactions: 2 users
Send the tube cover separately too and pull the transformers because they are too heavy...
Fedex , Ups packs it they take full responsibility for it.
Neither Audio Rssearch nor McIntosh sent me a separate box with tubes.
It may be cheaper to deliver the Amp. I doubt it weights 80 Lbs ..

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Ok so for now I think actionable items for me:
1. Tubes bubble wrapped to into the cage, cage bubble wrapped ships separately
2. Will he some 1” styrofoam to put between the amp and the inner box. As well as in between outer and inner box.
3. Boxes will look in Lowe’s or HD.

Consider this kind of foam packing which does not contradict other suggestions, just complements them.
You can start with foam/sponge/styrofoam blocks to create walls inside a large strong double wall cardboard box and augment it with expandable foam to create a cocoon for your stuff.

That said, just 2 days ago I watched the Pro version.
No home DIY bags or cans but a guy with a hose applying as much foam as needed, where needed.
Yes, he wrapped everything in thick plastic sheet first.
I would search for a Pro shop offering the service.

• Thank You
Shipped many amps in that weight range, I crated them up w/ 3/4" plywood. A wooden crate is handled much differently than anything cardboard. They don't get thrown, they get placed. And to do it right you should build the crate and send it flat to your friend. You want to take as much effort as possible out of what he has to do. I would even drill pilot holes for all the screws it needs. Inside, amp should be in a soft cotton bag surrounded by many inches of crush-resistant foam, the more the better (pic). For something that heavy you want a lot of crush area between the amp and the boundaries of the crate.

10,11.jpg

Reactions: 1 users