.NRG to .FLAC

Hello,
Can someone recommend a free program to convert from .NRG to .FLAC.
I've already checked the first Google results, but either they don't work or they want money for such a conversion.
I don't have many images and it's not worth investing in such a program.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
You might have some luck with audacity. I wanted the soundtrack from a dvd, ripped it using makemkv, imported the soundtrack part into audacity then exported it as flack from there.

Perhaps audacity might be able to do it. You'll probably also need the special Audacity version of ffmpeg. I did for my conversion. Installing it is straightforward and can be done from audacity.

To begin with, .NRG is not a file format on its own, it's a disc image format and its role is to act as a container for whatever file formats the chosen container format in question may support.
In this case the audio is probably stored as plain Audio CD inside the .NRG container, so what is needed here is a SW tool able to extract that data as a first step.
Once the audio data is extracted, in a second step you may convert that audio codec into whatever other codec format of preference, such as FLAC, MP3 etc., which of course will require another SW tool designed for such task.
In essence it's a two step task.

Check through this Wiki list of Comparison of disc image software.
There are several freeware, shareware and proprietary offerings supporting .NRG in one way or another and on different types of OS's, however I can't tell for a certain if it may help you but it may be worth exploring that list.

Good luck.

Last edited:
@shadowplay62
A moment ago when I scanned the SW there were 2 AV's that marked it as not good, also the Community Score isn't very high either,
nrgtoiso community score.png

but now revisiting VT it's only 1, I think the earlier was VirIT which now changed it's rating to OK.
Sure I am aware of false positive, but for lesser known SW I would try to execute them in a sandbox, such as Sandboxie which is freeware, it can be a bit fiddly to set it up.
As for AnyToISO, the unpaid 'Lite' version is limited to files no bigger than 870MB, ie. a CD size, that may do.

Yes, DAEMON Tools will mount an NRG image file, which will then appear to your PC as a virtual drive.
If the image file contains conventional CD data (most likely) then you will need to rip the virtual CD to audio files - use your favourite ripper - mine is Exact Audio Copy. You can configure the ripper to rip directly to FLAC, or if you prefer - rip initially to uncompressed WAV, then convert to FLAC as a second stage.
Be aware that when ripping from a virtual drive it's impossible for the ripping software to detect any potential errors of the original CD. The accuracy of the rip is pre-determined by whoever created the NRG image file in the first place, and whatever ripping software/configuration they used.

DAEMON Tools - get the free "Lite" version -
https://www.daemon-tools.cc/home

Exact Audio Copy -
https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/download/

OK, DAEMON Tools works great.
First I used Nero to create an nrg image file.
Then I used DAEMON Tools to mount this nrg file as a virtual drive, which can be seen in Windows Explorer - refer 1st attached image below.
With DAEMON Tools still running, I launched Exact Audio Copy, and in the drop-down menu for drives I changed from my usual Blu-ray drive to the newly available "DiscSoftVirtual" drive - note there are two listings, I had to select the second - refer 2nd attached image below.
At this point EAC listed all music tracks on the virtual drive, ready to rip as FLAC. The rip process was fast - just a few seconds for the "Detect Gaps" function, then 2 minutes for the rip itself. The same rip from my optical drive took 7 minutes for gap detection, then 8 minutes for the main rip.
After closing your ripper application, you should unmount the virtual drive before you close DAEMON Tools.