• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PhiDAC hex kits with pre-built filters

Yeah that kind of thing is what I was thinking. Cool! I did actually see the post, but I didn't realize it's goal was remote volume control. And most of it went over my head.

I'll see what my dad wants to do, and I'll PM you for an order. Maybe he will want to go with an AliExpress deal first, then upgrade later (and in the process I will get one to play with for myself)

Reactions: 1 user
Update 8th Feb 2021

Prices for PhiDeca DAC :

Kit with ready-made 7th order filter : 480RMB (~$74)
Kit with ready-made 3rd order filter : 260RMB (~$40)

For existing customers of PhiDAC hex only, Deca baseboard kit : 160RMB (~$25)

Fee for assembling kit and testing DAC : 200RMB (~$31)

Update 6th Jan 2021

PhiDAC hex is in the process of being superceded by Phi DecaDAC - the latter using 10 DAC chips in parallel rather than 6 as in the 'hex'. PhiDeca DAC kits are going to be simpler to build and hopefully will be available from mid-Feb. The vast majority of the SMD passive parts (Rs and Cs) plus SOT-23s will be pre-soldered at the factory. This leaves the builder to solder ICs, a handful of discrete semiconductors and the through-hole parts (caps and connectors).

PhiDeca DAC needs a 15V regulated power supply, max current draw is 160mA. A 500mA rated linear wall-wart is suggested.

<original post>
Orders now are open on PhiDAC hex kits with pre-built filters - feel free to PM me. In your message please let me know your location and your choice of payment method and shipping, then I'll have enough info to give you a firm quote.

Preferred payment method is via Transfer Money Online | Send Money Abroad with TransferWise which typically adds a 2% fee. Our receiving currency is USD or Euro. PayPal may also be used, in USD but will attract higher fees, about 16%.

Kit for PhiDAC hex mainboard with 7th order filter pre-built and tested : 470RMB (~$70)
Kit for PhiDAC hex mainboard with 3rd order filter pre-built and tested : 280RMB (~$42)

Kit for PhiDAC hex with both filters 560RMB (~$84)

Shipping rates are in addition and depend on your location and speed of service. Courier (FedEx, TNT, DHL) typically takes 8 - 10 days and e-packet two to four weeks. Not all locations can be serviced by e-packet though.

I have prepared (mostly the work was done by my wife) a graphic of how to proceed with soldering your PhiDAC hexkit. Its here : lingDAC - cost effective RBCD multibit DAC design

Update 13th April 2021

Here is where you can find a guide to soldering up your Phi DecaDAC kit : PhiDAC hex kits with pre-built filters
I was following google search for Phi deca Dac and seems very interesting,

Hi everyone,

Does anyone using this CMedia card with the PhiDAC ?

I need to know is it possible to power up the CMedia board by using separate PSU ? I see there's a 3.3V pin next to the I2S output...

Untitled.jpg

As far as I'm aware, the 3.3V pin is an output from an on-board regulator, not an input. I think to run the board on external power, you'd need to target the USB bus power, maybe create a USB cable without the bus power wire (+5V) and route the board's bus power input to your external 5V regulated supply.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Richard, I am not sure where to ask this, so I am asking here. Have you ever thought about, or even tried one of your high order high pass filters on another dac kit, for example the Miro AD1862? You seem to have very good filter boards at cost-effective prices, and I am curious how much it could help the miro board...maybe your 7th order on the output? If that helps, maybe a 3rd order on the AD1862 1ma output (that is if the impedance is not too high) and then to an I/V stage? Would you consider selling one of your filters to try? If so, any special considerations, like I/V output impedance to filter, or output of a passive filter driving the load of a 10k pot in a preamp? I realize your dac designs beg to be built, but I think several of us are also curious what just a filter can do to SQ.

Hi @propitious thanks for your interest and questions. I have indeed thought about (though not tried) fitting one of my filters to another DAC. One of my customers has tried one of my filters with a PCM1704-based DAC and reported pleasing results. As far as I know no-one's tried a filter on an AD1862 DAC - to do that would require more extensive changes than just inserting the filter between DAC and output opamp. That's because most R2R DACs (TDA1387 and TDA1543 are exceptions) don't allow much compliance at their output terminal, they are generally designed to feed an opamp 'virtual ground'.

What's needed is a scheme very similar to what Nelson Pass's D1 DAC uses - a common-gate MOSFET whose source is fed from the DAC and whose drain goes to the low-pass filter. The MOSFET stage can be biassed to keep the DAC output terminal almost at 0VAC while the drain can swing a few volts. If you would like to buy a separate filter to try, do please PM me, you'd not be the first to go that route. I can customize the filter output impedance to something higher than the stock 47R which probably would not be suitable.

Hello,
I've used 5th pole filter on my Pcm1704 OPA861 dac with very good results adding 36ohm resistors on the outputs and I've bought AD1862 to try with them.I like my PCM1704 sound but Celibidache Dac sound a bit better, more real and more natural. I prefer Celibidache and I stopped my tests.

• Thank You