t/s specs for indian drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The dynamics of this DIY business makes it hard to sustain. Unless this website gets good sales numbers, he will probably close. Online sales is the best but the entrenched shops on the streets having inferior business model will not allow it to succeed. I really do hope they succeed.

Moderators, Please note: I do not have any direct/indirect links to that website. The DIYers in India face problems in acquiring good quality components, even if they are willing to pay a premium. So I posted that link so that the DIYers are benefited.

The dynamics of this DIY business makes it hard to sustain. Unless this website gets good sales numbers, he will probably close. Online sales is the best but the entrenched shops on the streets having inferior business model will not allow it to succeed. I really do hope they succeed.

True that.

There are as many run off the mill drivers in our markets which one cannot even count in a day.

Probably the reason why Peerless never went retail in India.

Our only hope was Corrson Bangalore which apparently is a history.
The vifa drivers which I bought from them still is my prime listening Nf speakers!

Peerless could have done it the way scan-speak is doing now. Having their own online store. Probably they are constrained by threats from the local retailers, threatening to disband the brand. Or probably they are not bold/smart enough!

Nope they have better fish to fry. With OEM business being so much more lucarative why bother with a few DIYers?

And we have Bolton ,Bestone,Britone,Tritone,Tyco and god knows what names drivers swarming in market from Rs50 to Rs500.
I still wonder what made Bolton so special in India,they were crappy woofers and tweeters,are they still producing any improvements?

Thank god Salora made much better drivers.

Anybody knows where does Dainty come from,are they Indian ,good drivers I must say for the price. at lest my woofertester doesnt act weird with dianty's.

Else it was Peerless ,who made par with standard drivers .

@Navin: Agreed, we are at a disadvantage. I hope somebody like scan speak comes up in India. It requires good technical knowledge though.
@Jayadev: I hope the dainty midrange drivers I recently bought makes some good sound. I havent tested/measured it still. It is tightly sealed all around to prevent cone excursion.
@Ashok: Dainty is from Taiwan.

@Navin: Agreed, we are at a disadvantage. I hope somebody like scan speak comes up in India. It requires good technical knowledge though.

Lets put it this way, if they come the prices wont be any cheaper than if we import from Meniscus, Madisound or Europe Audio.

I don't see adequate commercial reason for them to set up shop or even a dealer in India when we can import directly from the US.

The only value add a dealer can bring is that if the dealer is also a good designer and can then sell his kits using these components. Right now we can buy a Troels kit from Meniscus or a Zaph kit from Parts express etc directly.

When I was looking for speakers I first auditioned Focal's 836W, KEF's Q900, B&W's 683 and CM8, Paradigm's Studio 100, Monitor Audio GX300 etc and none of them satisfied. I then looked at Monitor Audio's PL300, PSB's Imagine T, KEF's R900, etc. The 2 choices I ended up with were Martin Logan's Electromotion set and Sonus Faber's Luito. The first was rejected as ML's speakers have a hard time in humid dusty conditions and Sonus Faber's Luito was SPL limited even when used with an active sub at 60Hz - had the Venere 3.0 been around then, maybe it would have worked.

Anyway I eventually got Rick Craig to modify 2 of his designs (the RC4 and Tempesta) for my application and send me kits (where the carpentry was done in India). This is documented on Audiocircle.

Last edited:
I think We do have immensely knowledgeable people Like member 'Hunteraudio' in India.
Why they dont put up with manufacturing in India is mystery to me!

@Jayadev: I hope the dainty midrange drivers I recently bought makes some good sound. I havent tested/measured it still. It is tightly sealed all around to prevent cone excursion.
I did not like the Dainty mid ranger which I had before,They are too far from what we can call good drivers in Diy audio. Woofers being in lower octave give much liberty to use electronic corrections.

The one 8 inch I am working with is suited for closed box ,but I am forcing it into a 16 litre vented enclosure. making it peak at 70 hz. a 2nd order highpass peaking filter at 40 hz and a low pass 4rth at 55 hz did set it somewhat right.cant even imagine something similar with midrage drivers.

I think We do have immensely knowledgeable people Like member 'Hunteraudio' in India.

Hunter Audio is live and kicking in kolkata. Transformed into pro-sound oem loudspeakers fabrication and reconing. Member in this forum as SIDEWINDER 18X. Always there for any help regards to loudspeaker projets and build ups.
09331927102 (Vicky).

Scale. The economy of scale. Given the required tooling etc. it is not viable.

Even today >75% of the drivers made are made in China and this includes some famous and reputed brands. Only a few exotics like RAAL ribbons, Illuminators, Excels, Revelators etc.. are made in the home country (aka country of design).

For those seeking mid priced drivers I would suggest considering SB Acoustics. they are based in Indonesia and have some very good drivers and some that are good VFM too.

Sinar Baja Electric
http://www.sinarbajaelectric.com/new/gallery.php?gallery=9

This is the same model an Indian loudspeaker manufacturer tried to execute around 1990. Build in India, design in Denmark. I say "tried to execute" because there was some issue about trademarks and stuff like that. Anyways getting back to the topic on hand.

David Stephens at SB is a decent person to email. I had some correspondance with him when I was considering the Satori 6" and tweeter but the prices of the Satori were as much as SEAS's Excel and the later is much more recognised and has been around longer (hence more people to help).

Speaking of Satori many of you might have seen this.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/220330-sb-acoustics-satori-monitor.html#post3177632

Last edited:
Well,I dont know what "Scale" means in Industry.
I do know we have two serious driver manufacturers 1.Peerless Fabrikerne from Mumbai and2. Dakshin Audio from Chennai.

It continues to be mystery as why they dont have enough courage to do retail buziness.
I know they kept trying with samples randomly in some pro speaker stores .
It took 20 years for Peerless Fabrikerne to atleast show up in online .

What I could understand is ,if there are no products then there wont be demand.it cannot be vice versa for these matters.

I do know we have two serious driver manufacturers 1.Peerless Fabrikerne from Mumbai and2. Dakshin Audio from Chennai.

I believe that for both of them the OEM business (Peerless also had bought some British brands like JPW) is adequate.

The DIY market is minuscule compared to the OEM market. Even in the US/EU sectors the DIY market is very, very small. The mass of the market is dominated by 5.1 systems which include 5 small satellites and one active subwoofer (often a single 8" of 2 6" woofers).

I

I believe that for both of them the OEM business (Peerless also had bought some British brands like JPW) is adequate.

The DIY market is minuscule compared to the OEM market. Even in the US/EU sectors the DIY market is very, very small. The mass of the market is dominated by 5.1 systems which include 5 small satellites and one active subwoofer (often a single 8" of 2 6" woofers).

I
All they need is to push a fraction of thier OEM production into retail market,but they shy away due to unknown reasons.

I think truth is,that no manufacturer want to encourage Diy.and we stick to Branded products with guaranty (in papers).

We have millions of car on road but how many Enthusiasts and modifiers can be seen around unlike in Europe and USA.

It continues to be mystery as why they dont have enough courage to do retail buziness.
I know they kept trying with samples randomly in some pro speaker stores .
It took 20 years for Peerless Fabrikerne to atleast show up in online .

What I could understand is ,if there are no products then there wont be demand.it cannot be vice versa for these matters.

In India there is no serious market for precision & hi-end loudspeaker components or raw drivers. An industry cannot flourish keeping in mind the DIY community in India. The kind of drivers discussed here ex: Bolton, Dakshin,
Salaora, Dainty & even Peerless India's early models.
Have you ever compared these to any renowned American, British or European speakers. What I mean to say ...... take any example, for instance say a size 8 inch speaker........ Bose 301 & 601, JBL, EV, Acoustic Research 8" models, KEF B200, Boston, Cerwin Vega's, Celestion and many more.
I bet many of Indian DIY's had some nor sometimes tried to clones these branded boxes with the available drivers here in India (Bolton, Dakshin, Philips India,
Salaora, Peerless India, Dainty.....). How successful were they ?. Did they went anyway near to it ?, in terms of the overall tonal quality.
These drivers will not perform or sound anything close to the originals.
No matter how you tweak, tune, stimulate ..... t/s factors, or what so ever. It is impossible to go any where near to the tone of the originals.
Matching up to, or similar t/s parameters does not guarantee great sounding speakers. We are far far away from the sonic purity & great sounding tonal response which had existed and exists in the American & European speakers.
I too, as a DIY turned into professional, took me 20 odd years to figure that out. Right now all the secrets behind the closed door of confined technology and material science is an open book for me. Nothing limits me or can prevent me to design & fabricate these precision drivers. Knowing the limited scope into hi-fi, I diverted my focus towards pro-sound drivers and am successful in achieving all my goals.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.