t/s specs for indian drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can get you the 10" PI for 2k in Bombay question is that it is pretty useless as a direct radiator unless you got a big box (2 cu. ft +)

one friend is using 4 of them (per channel) in a isobarik box. actually his design is effectively 4 isobarik subs (2 per channel)that means 4 drivers per channel.

his box is 16" cube per isobarik pair. you do the math (assume 18mm MDF for walls).

ok with the PI 10" you should get about 36hz in 2.2 cu. ft. (60 liters) this is lower than the Low E on an electric guitar (42Hz) but not low enough to play organ or piano scales. the attack of this driver is reasonable but a few percussion instruments sound muffled. if you can pick it up from bombay i can order one for you. transport to bang would be expensive.

Old drivers.

Vivek,
Would you be interested in an old 10 inch driver which works very well but looks a bit chewed up? Free ! You can get some one to pick it up if you are interested. I 'll post the T/S parameters later today.

Navin,
The Boltons ranged from good to bad. They changed models - cone material and surrounds very often. So one could not get the same type of driver easily. I don't know how they are today. I did see some drivers fairly recently and was not impressed. They also suffer from serious breakup in the upper ranges. Often it is their dust cap. I used to remove the paper dustcap and put in a cloth dust cap or a foam disc. It controlled the breakup. I hate to have to do all that.
I'll get you some measured T/S parameters since we are all talking 'Bolton'.
Cheers.
Ashok.

i had a pair of 8" Eminence woofers. In transportation one of the coils got mis aligned. to get it fixed i sent the driver to a local repair shop. the repair involved changing the surround to get to the coil so i changed the surround on both driver to make them match. I am using these drivers for now but am looking for some nice 8" woofers that can be used as replacements.

the box is a sealed box (can be ported) about 1.4 cu. ft. net (40 Liters). If I get well defined bass to 40Hz (f3) I'd be happy. quality is more important than quantity.

regarding torvin,he uses peerless,and some drivers manufactured in calcutta.
the best and the cheapest subs possible are the beymas which are avaliable in 6,8,10,12,15,18 etc.also DAS is another option ,eminence and bk are also good.dont trust the boltons as they are costlier than the imported ones dont have t/s parameters and peerless is a lousy company when u consider trying to get info from them.

the above said drivers are used by me as well as torvin and I find them real good compared to all the others.if ur not keen on the budget i suggest jbl drivers.

i heard of beymas in passing would like to know more. how good are their drivers compared to PI.

JBL (orignals) are real expensive. the ones I have used are mostly their pro range but some of them crossover into home audio (2245, 2235,2226 for example). JBL used to make a great 8" in the mid 80s (part of their L82 series of studio monitors - atleast we used it as a studio monitor).

if you can givne me some info on Beymas and they are competitive is performance and price then i wont mind exprimenting with a few. My wife will kill me but i consider this a small sacrifice for the DIY audio community :)

The drivers from calcutta are name less,but i know thangacchan (torvin)uses them and he gets them from someplace which i donot know of.maybe i will try,but they are not of good quality.

the beymas,Das,b&k can be bought from gm audio technics from chennai.the jbl range ,electrovoice can be bought from swamy cinesupplies.both are based in chennai.

I would ask u all to look up the respective websites for the specs of the drivers and mail me for which drivers u all are interested .

i happen to have the catalougues and can also get u a discount of 10% on the drivers as i do buy these brands in good quantities.

u can mail me at yugaaa@yahoo.com.

i would be glad to be of help for diyiers

poor quality drivers are a waste of time. however i find most imported drivers to be too expensive so i am looking for something in between.

working backwards lets say the finished pair of 6" 2 way should cost under 6K.

less wood and XO we are taking under 4K. I got a Vifa TC series 6" and 1" for about Rs. 700 each. That works fine for me. Obviously 8" 10" 12" would cost more.

I am trying to build a small sub so I am looking for 2 12" or 10" to put in a isobarik sealed box. In addition to this I am looking for 2 8" woofers that would be better than Eminence (with local surrounds) in a 40 liter box.

T/S specs.

I have finally got the ( measured) T/S parameters of two Indian drivers.

Driver Bolton 10 inch Peerless India 10 inch
Cone brown paper Black paper
Surround cloth roll rubber roll
Qms 3.67 4.23
Qes 0.44 0.80
Qts 0.39 0.68
Vas 180 L 209 L
Rdc 3.6 ohm 5.7 ohm
Fs 34.5 Hz 25.6 Hz
Bl 5.92 N/A 6.23 N/A
L (10KHz) 0.40 mH 0.5 mH

I have two Peerless units and so will try out a dipole sub. The Qts seems to be suitable for that.
Cheers,
Ashok.
Check out the attached doc. file. The post seems to loose the way I typed the data.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.