TV software update

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Sony Bravia told me to update.
I did.
No, I am.
I started 1.5 hours ago and am currently at 41% completion.
The hockey game is about to start and I am seeing only 3/7 of the screen.
It does not center or squish the picture, it just takes over that side.
If my team scores in the first or second period, I am going to miss it.
Any hints so I don’t have to watch the agonizing slow progress bar?
If nothing else I think I will record the game and come back later.
TIA for any help.

My TV box said not paid for the month, but the app on my phone did...
So I rang up Tata Sky (one of many dish TV providers here), toll free, they said keep the box on when doing the recharge (monthly payment) next time...and they said keep it on, and sent the box a message which told it that yes it was paid up...it had gone to free to air channel mode.
And when my cellphone says time to update, I usually do it at night, better net speeds then...at 10 AM it is very slow overall.

I feel you should download the file, transfer it and use USB.
And sometimes the TV may need to be switched to a particular input when doing so, that could be a reason for the low speed, apart from load on the data link you may be using for streaming (we are also moving towards that, 4K HD TV is a data hungry device)....

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ yep, it pisses me off.

Do you have a cell phone, do you use Android Auto?

Everytime some snot nosed hacker decides to modify something, I'm forced to "install a necessary upgrade"...

I'm of the school that once a device achieves the desired functionality, it ought to be frozen. Unless absolutely necessary, as in OLED TV needing an LED refresh. And then you do it when the TV is not being used.

In a previous job, where we outsourced some Python scripts to Bangalore, I used to get into some epic fights because those hackers have no understanding of Quality Control. They just hacked Python and drove our QC nuts.

WDC had some 1200 PCs in the basement testing drives for R&D work... those fools would modify the scripts so that the entire PC Python installation would have to be "updated". Now, if you're not careful, Python will "automatically update" its installation in the PC... imagine doing that to 1200 PCs in the labs... absolutely invalidates all testing and all data... you have to requalify them... them Python clowns just couldn't get it.... to them, upgrades were easy!

No peer reviews either.

What are the odds that our TVs got a big chunk of their SmartOS done over there? I'd say, 100%.

Good luck.

PS- Now, don't get your panties in a bunch here... the fact is that the Bangalore industry promotes an impossiblity: "good, fast and cheap"... which is impossible. We'd have a project, I'd bid 6 months, they'd bid four weeks...so the Program managers would give it to them....

Six weeks later we had nothing useful, so they'd came back to me and tell me to do it in 4 1/2 months. I'd told them to eat it... my estimate would grow now to 8 months because it was so screwed up I had to spend time to clean things up.

E.V.E.R.Y time.

The mentality of constant "upgrades" is born from cheap marketing and cheap development (hacking).

In the last two months, I've had to rebuild two PCs because the Mozilla browser decided to push upgrades that, like a fool, I allowed. This in a PC with actually very few things installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
A smart TV is really a dedicated PC with large display, and like above, those things do need periodic upgrades.
Apple seems to be the exception, their upgrades and apps are thoroughly vetted before release.
Just sayin'....I use Android phones, but a lot of my relatives are used to Apple phones, and swear by them.

No ties to anybody, just an observation...

If you are old enough (quite likely), you will remember a German (IIRC) teenager caused Windows XP to crash with a program so tiny that it took analysts a long time to realise what happened.

It happens in many fields, the local company Tata got a reputation for releasing cars before all the bugs were ironed out, due to pressure from the marketing people.
They did give good support, long after warranty, but as a result their sales suffered.

It should be your choice to upgrade the software or not, but if somebody does add a script, you could be in trouble...

You can grumble, but in an increasingly digital age, you will have to get used to this situation.

Linux, for example, has many periodic updates based on groups working all over the world, and I think it was Xiaomi who started the weekly upgrade of their phones, new improved OS version every week, and they got wildly popular, as they met a need in the market.

You could of course change to a device that does not need an upgrade, it will take some looking...

It appears to download in the background
I did manage to find a way to get rid of the display and continue the download.
It should be your choice to upgrade the software or not
It is. Problem being if you choose not to, it continues to remind you that you haven't.

Reactions: 1 user
The people who complain about firmware updates are usually the ones who complain when there are data breaches to hackers....most firmware updates are needed for security reasons or app changes that are not in the hands of the manufactures i.e. no tunein radio, napster support etc. Of course a manufacture could have have an online product and no firmware/security updates but they wouldn't last long in the marketplace...

Status
Not open for further replies.