TV software update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ "Firmware"... I think you mean Software, not Firmware.

Besides, most "upgrades" are for features that marketing wants to push down your throat.

If you limit the number of installed applications, to the ones that are essential, you don't need so many upgrades You might need a few to upgrade device drivers and comm standards, but not for applications.

The current trend away from HTML towards specific "apps" is bull$$$t. HTML allows a device specific application, it was bad enough when they used HTML to provide mail, etc... but to force you to use a specific "app" instead of a link to a web site if flat out wrong.

My own phone has Firefox, Chrome, a calculator, a flashlight, an FTP client, a File Finder and Tidal.... that's it. My life is not controlled by my phone.

deadpool,
thanks for the insight but I'm struggling to see how that helps me with a problem, that not even specific forums seem to have the answer.
Anyway, I am trying the full de-energizing this time including the cable box as someone mentioned this might not even be a Sony problem. Strange that it occurred only after the update.
The reason I am also thinking it might be cable related is that I heard a male voice doing one of the programs I watched last night and I have not touched the voice button on the TV.

Last edited:
Problem solved:
After rebooting the box, I went to the settings and the DVS was in the on position. It has always been off but the button and reality didn't match. One simple click on the box then corrected it.
No wonder the Sony people ran out of ideas to help.
I was getting ready to live it.

Now is this just a coincidence?
Could it be that the TV update is in no way related to the box glitch?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Reactions: 1 users
^ "Firmware"... I think you mean Software, not Firmware.

Besides, most "upgrades" are for features that marketing wants to push down your throat.

If you limit the number of installed applications, to the ones that are essential, you don't need so many upgrades You might need a few to upgrade device drivers and comm standards, but not for applications.

The current trend away from HTML towards specific "apps" is bull$$$t. HTML allows a device specific application, it was bad enough when they used HTML to provide mail, etc... but to force you to use a specific "app" instead of a link to a web site if flat out wrong.

My own phone has Firefox, Chrome, a calculator, a flashlight, an FTP client, a File Finder and Tidal.... that's it. My life is not controlled by my phone.
I meant 'firmware' :geek: , most firmware updates are rarely 'new features' but as as I stated security or bug fixes.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
"firmware" -what I do for a living- is "real time" and embedded.

"software" is the applications that run on top of the "firmware".

Security and bug fixes are for applications, hence, software.

To give you an idea... the Operating System is software but the Board Support Package is firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Not really, it is most definitely NOT semantics. It's $$$$. Real time is a lot more expensive, more rigorous, a entirely different set of disciplines when approaching programming.

firmware is written by engineers and scientists, it requires stuff like bus analyzers, scopes, emulators, simulators, JTAG stuff, often an understanding of hardware, FPGA, DSP, etc, etc... Uses constructs like interrrupts, multi cores, multi threads, SMP, AMP, etc.. .and it requires an engineering perspective. And it is quite rigorous.

software is written by programmers and Python hackers. Sometimes they might use a debugger... and they get lost when doing multi threaded applications. ( I have written multi threaded / multi core software too.... )

Very different disciplines, trust me.

Most TV manufactures will call it a 'firmware update' maybe there is a legal implication why they call it this...

TV manufactures don't design the apps on their smart TVs, read any warranty document they are not liable if the 3rd party app disappears after sometime

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Sales and marketing.... they might make a distinction between their "smart OS" and the 3rd party "applications".

In the case of a Smart TV: Usually an update to the firmware would also require an update to the hardware... or an update to the communication (interface) protocols. Think Layer 3, as in an update to TCP or UDP. or allowing some new feature over USB. I can't think of any Smart TVs that have plug in cards, eh?

But, if you interview for a job, it's all software.

Firnware guys come to DIY Audio.
Software guys take their bonus and buy a Bose system.

I agree Tony, years ago there was more of a distinction between firmware and software...now its an update is sent and what exactly it does can be a mystery even to us in service support who work for major electronics companies.

As my background is hardware electronics I will still call it firmware as opposed to someone from an IT background who will call it a software update.

Reactions: 1 user
Problem solved:
After rebooting the box, I went to the settings and the DVS was in the on position. It has always been off but the button and reality didn't match. One simple click on the box then corrected it.
No wonder the Sony people ran out of ideas to help.
I was getting ready to live it.

Now is this just a coincidence?
Could it be that the TV update is in no way related to the box glitch?

Enquiring minds want to know.
If the two are related, here's my guess list:

1. A CEC command to turn that setting on was sent for unknown reasons, maybe a glitch, during the firmware update process.

2. You somehow changed the setting while the download progress banner was on the screen and did not see it.

3. Maybe the cable box is designed so the setting is turned on when the box first goes into a home. Maybe it has a feature that turns it on when a new TV is connected, in case it doesn't get reset between clients. Then, the firmware update changed something in the EDID or other identifying info sent via HDMI/CEC (perhaps just temporarily during the update), the cable box interpreted that as a new display, and turned the setting back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.