UGLY Looking Amp! - but good working

That's my ugliest looking amp. Made it in late 80's, when I got interested in surround. It has 4 channels, based on Hitachi mosfet kit from Mark V Electronics.;)

Attachments

• am.jpg
    am.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 6,491
Sch3mat1c said:
Cuz tubes are beautiful...tubes can't be made ugly! :D :nod:

yes they can look ugly, I have a very ugly looking rusty el84 amp.
Looks something like this.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But you are right that as soon as you power it up and the thing starts to glow, all the uglyness is replaced by beauty :)

Hans

OOOOOO!!!! How long has this thread been going, I finished my amp a few days ago, and was going to start a thread, but decided not too.. :D lol Netlist, you win.. :p lol

hey, it doesn't look too bad in the pictures.. :) I am planning on mounting it in a small box with a old 10inch full range speaker, for PA use.. :)

Attachments

• amplifier.jpg
    amplifier.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 4,551
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hanzwillem said:

But you are right that as soon as you power it up and the thing starts to glow, all the uglyness is replaced by beauty :)

Reminds me a bit of the old Geloso amps. Those were beautiful.
I remember an old 100V amp with, I think, 2 or 4 EL34's in it.
The tubes had a nice blue glow and next to the red glow of the
heaters, it was kind of a little miracle. (To me when I was
a child)

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/5440/geloso.html

/Hugo - glows a little more now :xmastree:

i like that. hasn't blown up in months! haha!
i swear i wish i had a camera. even the "ugly" amps i'm seeing are nothing compared to my first (and just finished) "intergrated". it was sitting on my desk for about two weeks. transformer, phono stage, preamp, vol and selector knobs just floating in the breeze. i got sick of that, so now (until i build a case), it is housed in a cardboard fruit box, with volume pot, power switch and input selector poked out the front.

it looks appalling, and yet it makes the sweetest noise i have ever heard (to me at least).

long live ghastly diy creations!

Cardboard Boxes - re-used

Hamish said:
so now (until i build a case), it is housed in a cardboard fruit box, with volume pot, power switch and input selector poked out the front.
it looks appalling, and yet it makes the sweetest noise i have ever heard (to me at least).
long live ghastly diy creations!
I have used some paper/cardboard boxes, too.
It got them when I bought ice-cream, 1 liter packages.
I use them as 4 inch midwoofer enclosures.

/halo - likes ice-cream - in big packages :hypno2:

Nielsio,

that first pic looks like mine used too, except it was wrapped around my computer so i could listen to it while i worked! Are those big oval cans caps? They're HUGE!

(that chip looks like it has seen better days)

the sound is all that matters:bfold:

At last a thread where my skills and abilities are appreciated!

Re: Biscuit Tin Power Supplies

halojoy said:

So, Nielsio, you do not like to admitt it is yours?
:D :D

No, they're not. I mess around, but not that much.

Hamish said:
Nielsio,

that first pic looks like mine used too, except it was wrapped around my computer so i could listen to it while i worked! Are those big oval cans caps? They're HUGE!

Read all about it on:
http://www.arduman.com/aa/Sayfalar/slagle/slagle.htm
..one of the amazing sets I found at http://www.arduman.com/

halojoy said:
Let me say this at once:
These Power Supplies are NOT mine!

Well.......................those ARE mine :scratch:! Funny thing you saved the pictures, because I had removed them from the net.

Some more:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

..and a nice close-up:

Re: Cookie Power Supplies

Nielsio said:
Funny thing you saved the pictures, because I had removed them from the net.
I just looked into same folder where LM3875 was.
I took a look at all your pictures.

You have a strange Loudspeaker experiment.
The driver has a sort of big white papercone around it.
It is real UGLY!
----------------------------------
And Pedro's TDA2030 looks terrible! :eek:

/halo