Visaton BG20 impressive mod

An unfixed B200… as i have implied before, they aren’t very good out of the box. But only a few necessary steps from being quite good.
Maybe someone would believe you if you post pre-and-after modification measurement. Until then...

Your tests are like timinh a cars 0-60 but without tires.
Why you need measurements of B200 below 500 Hz, when there everything is OK? Problems above 500 Hz are clearly shown. I have complete measurement below 500 Hz, but I didn't post them here because there is no need for that, not because I didn't test it below 500 Hz. So, your analogy with car is naive.

Guys please.
There are speakers that measure good and sound bad.
There are speakers that measure bad and sound good.
There are very good sounding Fullrangers
and very good sounding Coax speakers.
Both have strength and weaknesses.
When DSP and phase corrections are applied the Coax has better high frequency presentation. That's my experience with over 40 years of speaker building.

YMMV

Klaus

Reactions: 1 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There are speakers that measure good and sound bad.
There are speakers that measure bad and sound good.
There are very good sounding Fullrangers
and very good sounding Coax speakers.
Both have strength and weaknesses.
When DSP and phase corrections are applied the Coax has better high frequency presentation

Agreed. DSP is needed to line th etweeter up in time in a coax.

dave

It works, but only in a limited number of cases - it demands coax drivers (midwoofer and tweeter) with sympathetic frequency responses for this job. It is difficult to achieve both: perfect step response and flat frequency response around crossover frequency.

Reactions: 1 user
hi Sonce - for what little its worth I "thought" an LCLC allpass with my Eminence C12CX's lowpass made it snap into better subjective focus - but did not verify via any measurements,

I miss this line of Eminence - they were made with and without a protruding horn with 54-109oz ferrite magnets. This one had an 80oz magnet and edge-wound 2.5" voice coil and was nice in my Karlson12 - probably would work in the Karlsonator12 tho that one is tuned to 37Hz.

C12CX.JPG

Hi (zdravo) Sonce,
I am looking to buy an 8" fullrange speaker for the Open Baffle. I wanted to try Visaton Bg20 (cheap and tweakable), but if you say that Sica is worth it, I may give it a go.
But, I noticed that it has a peak (10db?) around 10 k?
Can you share RLC values for it?

8D1.5CS may needs DSP/RLC compensation/attenuation at 2.1 kHz (high Q) and at 5.5 kHz (very high Q), if my memory serves me well. At the moment I can't find the RLC values, but I will find them later.

I am sorry, I am (a little bit) late, but here it is:

Sica 8D1,5CS var2 XO-schema-2.png

Last edited: