Wavecor SW270WA01 and Dayton RSS265HF-4, comments please

It would be nice to see distortion for both before deciding though.
Distortion as well as large signal parameters.
BL(x), Cms(x)
Since we only use this woofer up to 300Hz, Le is not that important.

Otherwise we can talk forever and ever.

@hifijim
The description of the application is still rather vague.
You're saying that you would like to use a LT bass EQ.
Just in general I would just simulate both drivers in the volume you have in mind and have a look at the amount of boost that's needed for the EQ.

I wouldn't recommend using much more than +6dB of boost.
Ideally keep it around 3-4db of boost max.
More is possible, but at that point you really have to keep an eye for not clipping the DAC, preamp or power amplifier.

Reactions: 1 user
The description of the application is still rather vague.
Well, that is probably due to the concept being somewhat vague at this point. I am not sure if I will design and build this project, at this point it is just a sketch.

I have simulated both drivers, and the RSS265HF has about 2.5 dB more SPL capability at 40 Hz, assuming both drivers are driven to Xmax. The bass EQ which would be needed is modest, about +4 dB.

My impetus in starting this thread was to see if there was any distortion data available on the web that I was not aware of... or if anyone had specific positive or negative experience with either driver. If I am limited to the information I have in front of me, the Dayton driver is the obvious choice.

1714321502207.png

1714321526304.png

24 liter sealed - notionally at this point.
Okay, as to be already expected from the T/S paramters, but the theoretical performance will be extremely similar;
This is in 24 liter box, LT at 30Hz with 1st orde HP at 25Hz and 4th order LR filter at 120Hz.
For no particular reason, it's about the relative comparison anyway.

Orange: Wavecor
Yellow: Dayton

1714324981955.png

1714325077912.png

Cone excursion seems to be a hair better for the Dayton, but the Sd is also a hair higher.
Which could be as simple as using a different definition/calculation for the Sd.
(I haven't seen the drivers side by side in person, so I can't tell)

So it will really come down to BL(x) and Cms(x)

Important note; don't do this with the current version of WinISD it has a major bug with LT EQ filters, giving wrong values.

Going a little smaller is fine, but not smaller than 15-18 liters, otherwise you have to EQ over 6dB.
Current EQ with settings from above;

1714325394808.png