What type of chair is best?

Hello, for some audiophiles everything can get in the way of faithful audio reproduction.
So my question is: What type of chair interferes least with audio reproduction?

From what I can tell, low-seat chairs tend not to disturb the ears like high-seat chairs.
There are also problems with the backrest materials and chair model that can get in the way.
For example, chairs covered in fabric like velvet tend to absorb sound, while leather chairs reflect sound.
Reclining chairs (armchairs) are widely used for home theaters, but most have a high back.
While club chairs have low backs.

At least for me, the best type of chair is low-seat velvet chairs.
But, I want to know more about how chairs can interfere with audio reproduction.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2011
If you have bad acoustics, a high back chair can help, by blocking reflections from going to your ears,
especially with wool fabric.

In concert halls, the seats are designed to absorb sound similar to a typical person, which helps to
keep the acoustics uniform with varying attendance.

Reactions: 1 users
I thought I made a good choice with this media chair. It's very comfortable and convenient and it sounds terrible.
A lot of the point of the new room is that I'm able to get the seating position well away from the wall behind me, in fact I used the Golden Ratio so I'm 38% of the length of the room out from the wall.
As soon as I got the chair I realized that I had chosen poorly. I feel like I have giant elephant ears!
I think that a chair with a lower back would sound better, perhaps the Danish/Dansk style. I'm going to follow this thread with interest!

Pete

Attachments

• PXL_20230724_183925751.jpg
    PXL_20230724_183925751.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: 2 users
Drape a piece of wool, like clothing, small rug, etc, over the chair top behind your head.
It will help a lot, the thicker the better.
It helps a little. Rather than it sounding like I have elephant ears, it's like I have giant furry ears. Like a jackass, lol.
I have swapped the hot seat for the guest chair in the picture and having my head in free space sounds very different.

Pete

for some audiophiles everything can get in the way of faithful audio reproduction...
I want to know more about how chairs can interfere with audio reproduction.
Don't worry about the seat cover material, just make sure you wear the right clothes, leather is a big NO NO!

Audiophiles don't want tone controls in their preamps, they prefer using cables to adjust the tone to their liking.
My advice would be to get a height adjustable stool, up for more treble and down for less.
Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 22-57-24 Swivel Adjustable Height Bar Stool.jpg (WEBP Image 700 × 700...png

Reactions: 1 users
One chair I cannot recommend is the IKEA Poang, it look good and the price is right, it’s comfortable, too. The problem is the foam used in the Poang hurts the sound. It’s a bit like SONEX open cell foam acoustic foam stuff you see a lot in studios. The foam hurts the sound, makes all weird and phasey sounding. One chair I like is a plain Shaker reproduction.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The foam hurts the sound, makes all weird and phasey sounding.

Uhh. My comment refer to the acoustic part of your comment: maybe the foam doesn't 'hurt the sound' ( this as to be explained to me!) but as some of the ill early effects reflections can have are in part absorbed you then hear more cleanly what detrimental effects early reflections does to the sound as the remaining artefact? Or make the phantom center issue of two chanel stereo more apparent ( which lowering early reflection will have as side effect)?

Don't take me wrong badly used foam can be detrimental i agree ( over used, it 'kill' most mid/high and let only room modes and bass apparent giving 'muddy' and tiresome/unatural rendering, better use diffusors in combination with them if you have this kind of bad behavior) but used as it should they work as intended and doesn't produce what you state.

Of course if you like the effect Early Reflections have on rendering then they won't be to you preferences as they lower the effect.

I felt no issue with the Poang seat either. Way less than the leather couch/seat ensemble we have in living room ( i need a thick blanket on it to lower reflections in high mids/highs).

Bauhaus's Marcel Breuer's 'Wassily' Chair isn't bad if you like the position in it ( find them tiresome for long period seating though) and their light construction is good acoustically speaking ( shallow obstacle).

Last edited:
I’m not surprised you haven’t heard the sound of the Poang chair, but try taking the chair completely out of the room, put it far away from the room, then listen again in a plain chair with no cushions, foam, etc. or sit on the floor. You should hear more air, more natural sound, better tone. Ditto SONEX foam panels, even one in the room is audible.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I’m not surprised you haven’t heard the sound of the Poang chair, but try taking the chair completely out of the room, put it far away from the room, then listen again in a plain chair with no cushions, foam, etc. or sit on the floor. You should hear more air, more natural sound, better tone. Ditto SONEX foam panels, even one in the room is audible.

I've done it, compared to other type of chair too ( including the Wassily). And installation of acoustics panels as well as control room built was part of my job so compared room with and without' foam, rockwool, hangers, diffusors, 'redirecting panels',... you name them.

If you like sound of ER that's fine to me but not my preference at all.