What's going on with LM3886 availability?

Read .. erm Better :rolleyes:
YOU should put on your reading glasses on, I found:
Quantity
Price
Ext. Price
1+
$145.4840
$145.484
2+
$141.0490
$282.098
3+
$127.7420
$383.226
* The above prices does not include taxes and freight rates, which will be calculated on the order pages.
and just to confirm:
Quantity
Price
Ext. Price
1+
€145.4840
€145.484
2+
€141.0490
€282.098
3+
€127.7420
€383.226

to boot, that is Chinese/HK warehouse: ZERO guarantee they are not FAKE.

So yes, we´ll keep whining, your "solution" is USELESS.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Lm3886 is a classic product thats probably become a staple component in countless commercial designs.
WAS a staple. The days of Mark Levinson producing amplifiers with LM3886 in are long gone. I don't know what persuaded them to save it when they culled the Nat Semi audio parts, but someone other than hobbyists must use them in significant quantities.

WAS a staple. The days of Mark Levinson producing amplifiers with LM3886 in are long gone. I don't know what persuaded them to save it when they culled the Nat Semi audio parts, but someone other than hobbyists must use them in significant quantities.
TV sets, powered monitors, computer subwoofers, cheap guitar amps - that sort of thing. Where the equipment designer doesn’t want to put any real effort or assembly cost into the “amplifier”.

With all the pent up demand for cell phone parts (and all this surge from the auto industry is because they‘re putting the same **** in the cars nowadays), any lot start for the LM3886 die is probably so far down in the queue that it’s hopeless. They are going to make what makes them the most money the fastest. One can hope that some third party fab that does make decent copies of older tech gets the license to make them someday. They may go up to twenty or thirty bucks, but Joe Experimenter probably won’t care - when the average newbie spends over $100 on the 600VA transformer, 30,000 uF caps and 60 amp fast recovery rectifiers they think they need to power it due to all they myths floating around on the internet. And even the proper parts are still half that or more.

Having a mobile (as opposed to wired) telephone is not a bad idea these days. They can be put on silent and ignored when needed too - and you don’t need to try to find a cassette tape to put in it. But having Google, Amazon and Facebook permanently tethered to you everywhere you go - one can certainly question the wisdom of. And as far as WhatsApp, isn’t that one of the worst offenders on the planet for data mining?

Reactions: 1 users
$145 for one LM3886?
I must be rich. I have 100pcs in stock :)
All original National Semi too.

Attachments

• LM3886TF.jpg
    LM3886TF.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 117
Okay...Apologies.
See if this offends you:

Once again, I repeat that the LM3886 may not be in demand from the bulk users. May be obsolete in their eyes.
And the fabs are overloaded with pent up demand for other chips, possibly a different type of silicon is being produced, more suitable for other types of chips.

And there is a long running thread here about taming it, started by Tom Christensen, it seems the standard app note circuit was not very good...

There were sellers in India selling populated boards, heat sink and all, may be 'good fake', you can look for other sources too.
But unless it is very special, I would look for a more current answer to my need for an amp.
As Adason says, LM1875 is good, and easily available, and IMO enough for home use in terms of power.
TDA series, transistors, tubes, and amps in Class D also exist.

When, and if it does come on sale as a running part, buy a few extra...May be last production lot.

Last edited:
A copy made at a proper factory, with consistent quality, and in large volumes, many times the component has gone out of production at the original maker.
The copy may be illegal, open source, may or may not be paying royalties to the original maker.
They may even have purchased the design.
As such, the quality is consistent, and volumes are high.

And they bear the maker's mark, not the original producer's mark.

Those I term as 'good fake', in the sense that the quality is consistent, not scrap marked as new, or a dummy chip.
Nor a 358 posing as a 5532...as happens on eBay.

Volumes? Think 200k per shipment of 2030 amps, just one of many to Indian purchasers, that needs a fairly large number of workers, there are some very big players in that market, but they are not well known to Western buyers.
And of course there are people selling fakes, their volumes will be low, and they will not take bank Letters of Credit, they want an irrevocable payment like card or whatever.

The term may make more sense to you now.

This happens a lot in the Third World, our attitude is shaped by practical experience.
Try getting an original ST chip amp, last made in 1998...there is a durable substitute, and only 20-30 cents.
Will you replace the faulty part and restore unit to service, or scrap the unit because the chip amp or whatever is declared obsolete?

Now the admins will tell me to stay on topic...!

But like I said, even those are not seen in the case of the 3886, which is a fairly old design, I think, so within the capacity of those who can make chips like the 1875, maybe a member who has experience in chip making can tell us more.

Finally, forget about the 3886 till your wait period for a new car comes to normal levels, the car makers are big and near monopoly buyers, and competition is immense.
Their volumes supply the food, we small buyers are the icing on the cake.
Right now, there is no time or production line space at the chip makers to even think of replenishing stock of slow moving parts.

Last edited: