4-way instead of 3-way?

A negative impedance is another way of dealing with non flat impedance in a driver. Nelson Pass has used the approach with Festerex full range drivers. They sounded quite good in his listening room.

In diy anything goes. You can believe what you believe.

In a loudspeaker project to protect your investment, your time and sanity it’s important to have certainty that

A . You can build your project
B. That you will finish it in a reasonable time frame
C. That is will reach your expectations.

As l mentioned early on in diy the answer(s) we are looking for we can be completely oblivious too. What is the difference between diy and a commercial consumer system. They do a more trial and error with mock ups. They test and listen until it works properly before committing to a design. Then they refine it in the final voicing of the tonal integration of the drivers.

In my experience in diy we sometimes spend way too much time over thinking a project and not nearly enough time testing and listening to ensure it’s working properly. We want it perfect at the outset. That’s crazy in the loudspeaker business.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Sorry for thread hogging again. Sometimes l get over enthusiastic in the diy spaces when l see a simple but elegant solution. Eek 😦

Just my 2 cents worth.

We have so much freedom and so many possibilities. But so little time…

Edit. My previous post is not meant to be condescending or a high school tutorial. But after collaborating on numerous diy loudspeaker projects remotely those 3 essentials are what it boils down to.

Others here have reiterated this in different ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user