4th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2007

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Zen Mod said:

is that "HH Scott something" cleaned amp besides preamp?

One of two Scotts, yes ( LK48 or 222) - took almost longer to strip out the parts and wiring than to rebuild.

The circuit is essentially the topology of Eli Duttman / Jim McShane's delightful and very flexible "El Cheapo" design*- with several changes of course to take advantage of the tubed rectification and superior output iron native to the Scott chassis.

*CCS loaded12AT7 LTP driving EL84 class A P/P

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Zen Mod said:
is that "HH Scott something" cleaned amp besides preamp?

LK48 used as donor. Push-pull EL84s strapped in triode running Class A (cathode bias). Front end is based on El-cheapo ECC81 LTP but with the diyAudio CCS. Power supply is dual mono after the 1st cap (ie splits to a choke for each channel). No feedback.

This 4W amp has the best bass (within its power limitations) of any amp i've heard recently. A real gem.

dave

planet10 said:

LK48 used as donor. Push-pull EL84s strapped in triode running Class A (cathode bias). Front end is based on El-cheapo ECC81 LTP but with the diyAudio CCS. Power supply is dual mono after the 1st cap (ie splits to a choke for each channel). No feedback.

This 4W amp has the best bass (within its power limitations) of any amp i've heard recently. A real gem.

dave

what Dave said - makes the Trends T-amp sound like a toy, and depending on the driver tubes ( vintage Mullards can be a bit soft, but Oh my, so seductive) can give a 2A3 or 300B SE a run for their money in the midrange as well

on the project list is a chassis rebuild for this piece elegant enough for some hand carved wood-work by Jesse's guy.

got a close up of the chip amp kicking around?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
chrisb said:

One of two Scotts, yes ( LK48 or 222) - took almost longer to strip out the parts and wiring than to rebuild.

The circuit is essentially the topology of Eli Duttman / Jim McShane's delightful and very flexible "El Cheapo" design*- with several changes of course to take advantage of the tubed rectification and superior output iron native to the Scott chassis.

*CCS loaded12AT7 LTP driving EL84 class A P/P

planet10 said:

dave

bummer.........received ystrdy one "scott something" astonishingly similar......... :bawling: with just one OPT .......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.