4th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2007

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:

LK48 used as donor. Push-pull EL84s strapped in triode running Class A (cathode bias). Front end is based on El-cheapo ECC81 LTP but with the diyAudio CCS. Power supply is dual mono after the 1st cap (ie splits to a choke for each channel). No feedback.

This 4W amp has the best bass (within its power limitations) of any amp i've heard recently. A real gem.

dave

Dave,
I couldn't agree more. I've got an old Scott 299(a) that's stock and it's pretty nice, but every modified 222 I've ever heard has been superb. They knew how to wind 'em in those days and those small tubes can really make music.

Chris,
Don't you think it's time to make some cosmetic additions to your amp? It really is worthy of some nice case-work.

Best Regards,
TerryO

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Hemp 8's

leadbelly said:
Although Stu said he was happy with the Hemp's in question, which were his, in the box he has them in.

It will be interesting to see how he likes them now that i've renovated them.

dave

Attachments

• hemp-fr8-p10.jpg
    hemp-fr8-p10.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 286
Re: Re: Re: Hemp 8's

planet10 said:

dave

yes, with phase plugs and C-37 treatment, these could be very interesting.

Stu any feedback on that yet? - curious minds want to know - and for those of us who didn't get a chance to hear the discussion, in what type of enclosure will these find their home?

Kevin Haskins said:
The 4" Hemps where not OBs though.... they where in a set of Scott's cabinets.

The 4" (108mm) Fostex with the cone that looked like you stepped on it sounded pretty good too. Especially with girlie music.

Kevin,
Are you thinking of the 3 inch Fostex Sigma's in the double horn that played out on the deck? I remember that you and I both thought that it was absolutely stunning with female voices. I am at a loss as to what the Radio Shack equivalent would be however.;)

I'll take a look later this evening and see if I can find the model #.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Re: Re: Re: Hemp 8's

planet10 said:

dave

And here's the surgery in progress! :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That was fascinating to watch. Skilled hands went at lightning speed!

OK folks, here's some more pics from Geek now that he's rested ;)

Speaking of the Hemp 8", here's the guys prepping the baffles:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Then we need some clean power for OB:

Jess had caught me taking a pic of my line buffer earlier. Here was the resulting shot:

Scientists are still pondering the mystery oil in those cables. Maybe we should run sub-power through them to check for combustibility :clown:

Another shot of Jess' equipment:

What'd you think? ..... Get your minds out of the gutter :rolleyes: :D

The Sigma's definately sounded as different as they looked ... in a good way:

Back inside, a proud papa shows off his latest babies:

15Lbs, 7 oz ...... for the crossover that is:

Sourced by a very interesting and cool device, the Squeeze Box:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.