A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier

F4 running on two SMPS300RAh -/+23V from connexelectronic (soft start already built in). One unit per channel.
200mV bias. None of the electronic components (both smps nor transistors) exceeding 50 degrees (celcius) in 5U/300mm chassis.
I will compare it to traditional transformer + caps sometime soon ... but so far I have no motivation, because it sounds amazing! The sound integration and continuity is just phenomenal. Especially different bass layers and top end!
It is driven by 2xad1865 dac (transformer I/V out) directly. No additional gain needed for my needs on TQWT MKIII speakers.
20200621_091510.jpg

Last edited:
F4 running on two SMPS300RAh -/+23V from connexelectronic (soft start already built in). One unit per channel.
200mV bias. None of the electronic components (both smps nor transistors) exceeding 50 degrees (celcius) in 5U/300mm chassis.
I will compare it to traditional transformer + caps sometime soon ... but so far I have no motivation, because it sounds amazing! The sound integration and continuity is just phenomenal. Especially different bass layers and top end!
It is driven by 2xad1865 dac (transformer I/V out) directly. No additional gain needed for my needs on TQWT MKIII speakers.
View attachment 854744

Great work! IMHO, it just doesn't get better than this with SS amplification.

Finished up an F4 few days ago.
It may sound different from original design, because I use japanese audio grade parts. Anyway It sounds good. Really good.
Thank you 6L6, Nelson.

Really nice build! Congrats!
Mpc74 resistors are also very nice, I wonder whether it has been a challenge to measure the bias of individual mosfets as the reaiators sit very close to pcb?

View attachment 854744
Bad news :(
Although those SMPS were designed for continuous current of Class A amps, after couple of days of playback one of the SMPS failed :( Fortunately they are -/+, so both rails at the same time. Nothing happened to F4 Module nor to my speakers.
No I got my motivation to go with traditional approach: transformer and caps :)

On the other hand those units are very good. I used them with success and no issue with many Class AB amps. Either I had bad luck and received faulty one this time or F4 is simply too power demanding for them, especially @ 200mV bias.

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
why these

… japanese audio grade parts …

MPC71 .47 ohm resistors and I use them on all my Pass builds.

May I ask what the differences are between the MPC71 and, say, vishay dale RN / CMF resistor?

I already got that they're metal plate compared to metal film, but what could I conclude from that?

Thank you
david

Last edited:
I got my f4 up n running this evening. So, again, thanks to all who chipped in. Many thanks.

I got my diodes changed. Jim, you were right, no other damage.

I'm running at 175mv and it sounds breathtaking. I mean, like, whaaaaaat!

Plàyed 2 LP's. An acoustic guitar and single voice and DSOTM.

S#@T MAN, this thing is nuts, a big leap in imaging compared to the F5. Just fantastic. I'm going to bed, I feel like a kid at Christmas. I can't wait to get up and play records all day.