A Lateral MOSFET Power Amplifier Design Version 1.1

Thank you all for your encouraging comments :)

i dont like the glitch on the rising/falling edges
It looks stable, but like ctrlx, I am concerned about the glitch
I'm just wondering if the glitch isn't the Mosfet gate capacitance in response to fast rise/fall times.

I have to say that all parts are totally new, except for three of them. The capacitor C901, 1uF/63 VDC of the DC Servo section, wasn't available at Mouser so I removed the one from the previous board, the board that has it's resistor smoking in the preceding test at 4 Ohms impedance. Also, with the very high price of the MOSFETs, I reused the two MOSFETs from the same board. I don't have new MOSFETs anymore. They all have been used at least once. Does this glitch could be a result of a bad MOSFETs that would have suffer from the test when the resistor make smoke? Maybe... As for the glitch, I already have started to build the second board. I will continue it and use it for more tests. Again I will have to reuse the two MOSFETs of the second preceding board but these didn't suffer from nothing yet.

When you box it up, you will have another set of challenges to keep it quiet, but this will be achievable I think with no problems.
I already have put the board into the box with quiet results! I cannot ear any hum, just a tiny white noise, hard to hear even in a quiet room with my ear glued to the speaker. And as for the music, I am impressed already! The Amplifier is connected to two used B&W V201 speakers, 4 Ohms, that I bought just for testing this amplifier.

You should be limiting the amplifier bandwidth with the front-end filter set to between 200 and 300 kHz.

1719743004057.png

The front-end cut-off filter here is 3.29 MHz - about 10x too high.
So I guess all the designs from the books we read need revisions! My first amplifier was a disaster cause the design proposed in the book wasn't working at all from the beginning. And this one has a wrong filter setting... :)

At least we learn while we read lol...

As an update, the schematic you pasted look's like one of my preceding schematic without the HBR R4 resistor. Here is the latest schematic attached below.

So if I wanted to keep the 220 Ohms low resistor at the input, what about 3,3 nF for C1 ? I already have ten new TDK 0,0033uF in stock, that would result to a 219,222 kHz cut off frequency.

Attachments

• Figure 14.17.Rev1.1-TMC.kicad_pro.pdf
    170 KB · Views: 5