A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Good stuff! However, I wonder if the extra wiring and PCB connections degrade the clock signal in some way. So, I was thinking that for your upcoming Accusilicon 318 / 338 comparison you could add another 318 or 338 using some extra-long-and-not-so-great wiring to the comparison, just to see if/how this affects the result in some way. What do you think?

Great idea and why not

Good stuff! However, I wonder if the extra wiring and PCB connections degrade the clock signal in some way. So, I was thinking that for your upcoming Accusilicon 318 / 338 comparison you could add another 318 or 338 using some extra-long-and-not-so-great wiring to the comparison, just to see if/how this affects the result in some way. What do you think?

Nice Idea, easy to do, will make a DIP-DIP cable of one meter or so and see what happens.

Specially after the negative comments on the test setup in the fifopi thread :rolleyes:

just to confirm, yes of course this is not test laboratory stuff to measure absolute values for datasheets, but....... it easily and repeatedly and consistently showed the strength and weak points among a set of clocks. That is all I wanted, like "is it worth to upgrade or take this clock over that one"

Of Course in the final audio gear it will be nicely implemented, it can only get better....

still, I am also curious if it can be screwed up by long flying wires :D

Hi Tim,

Sorry, I have never heard of anyone actually doing this.

By doing this, you are not saving on the output capacitor (price and quality aspect). On a positive you would double the number of DACs and reduce significantly the d2 harmonic distortion. You will end up with 2,4V rms at unity-gain, so not sure if you want gain as well. In that case you are basically building a pre amplifier with gain. Like commercial product with XLR balanced input

The negative would be the extra use of an opamp with power supply - all need to be top high. Still if it sounds good, I cannot tell. All my experiments in the past give one conclusion, I rather do not like opamps too much...

I/V with just a resistor does the trick best, topped by using a transformer to do all the above (Double dac and d2 reduction)

hope that helps...

edit PS: for example in my office, I have a "power dac" basically a DDDAC1794, directly (DC) coupled and dddac balanced out to a UCD class D amplifier balanced input - that works fine. For this use the solution was absolutely ok

Last edited:
Hey all!
Sorry I'm late to the party here! :spin:
First of all, I hope everyone is healthy, fine and doing well.
I have been using a single board - capacitor coupled dddac for over 4 years now. Can't tell you all how much I love the sound!! Especially when compared to the Delta-Sigma dacs that I was using before.

I'm now thinking of doing some upgrades; so have a few questions which are as follows (please pardon me for my naivete, I'm an absolute beginner and would love to learn more and more from the expert members here):

1. Is it possible to take two single outputs from the dddac?: Currently my dac has a capacitor coupled output by taking signal from the "positive" and "ground" pole. Can I create another single ended output by using the "negative" and the same "ground" pins? I want to use this output without coupling with anything as I want to have no passive component between my dac and the next stage (the next stage is a 6SN7 based tube gain stage which has a capacitor at the input so no worries about any residual DC).

2. Say if one can take two single ended outputs; will it lead to loss of fidelity if the outputs are used simultaneously? Given that they use the same "ground" pin. Also will there be any loss of fidelity at all, even if I don't use the outputs simultaneously? I'm confused about the shared "ground" pin here.

3. If I'm taking the "no-coupling" approach, would I still require to connect a resistor across the RCA connector like I'm doing with the capacitor? Or can I just take the live and ground signal from the board and directly feed it to the RCA?

I'll be really grateful for any help! Thanks in advance!
Have a lovely day! Cheers! :D

Hey all!
Sorry I'm late to the party here! :spin:
First of all, I hope everyone is healthy, fine and doing well.
I have been using a single board - capacitor coupled dddac for over 4 years now. Can't tell you all how much I love the sound!! Especially when compared to the Delta-Sigma dacs that I was using before.

I'm now thinking of doing some upgrades; so have a few questions which are as follows (please pardon me for my naivete, I'm an absolute beginner and would love to learn more and more from the expert members here):

1. Is it possible to take two single outputs from the dddac?: Currently my dac has a capacitor coupled output by taking signal from the "positive" and "ground" pole. Can I create another single ended output by using the "negative" and the same "ground" pins? I want to use this output without coupling with anything as I want to have no passive component between my dac and the next stage (the next stage is a 6SN7 based tube gain stage which has a capacitor at the input so no worries about any residual DC).

2. Say if one can take two single ended outputs; will it lead to loss of fidelity if the outputs are used simultaneously? Given that they use the same "ground" pin. Also will there be any loss of fidelity at all, even if I don't use the outputs simultaneously? I'm confused about the shared "ground" pin here.

3. If I'm taking the "no-coupling" approach, would I still require to connect a resistor across the RCA connector like I'm doing with the capacitor? Or can I just take the live and ground signal from the board and directly feed it to the RCA?

I'll be really grateful for any help! Thanks in advance!
Have a lovely day! Cheers! :D

Hi Dr Geet,

thanks for positive feedback.

to your questions:

1. yes you can without any problem. That "half of the DAC" is actually unused in single ended mode, so free to use
2. no see point 1....
3. no need for the 100k - that is only to give the capacitor a zero volt reference at the output to avoid plops when connected live to an amplifier - just go straight out to anything where the DC residue is no issue

good luck and enjoy your day too !

Hi Dr Geet,

thanks for positive feedback.

to your questions:

1. yes you can without any problem. That "half of the DAC" is actually unused in single ended mode, so free to use
2. no see point 1....
3. no need for the 100k - that is only to give the capacitor a zero volt reference at the output to avoid plops when connected live to an amplifier - just go straight out to anything where the DC residue is no issue

good luck and enjoy your day too !

Thanks for the reply sir! This helped a lot :D

I'll update with my experience when I implement these changes. Cheers!

I am wondering if I can power 8 board ddac with Ian Canada lifopo4 13.2v ps rail. When I look at the data sheets for regulators used in ddac they all state 16v max which would keep me within the range. Am I missing anything?
Best regards
Peter

No, you did not mis anything ! 13,2 will work fine, no Problem

On the aspect if the lifepo can deliver the power, that is another story

8 boards take almost 2A

Last edited: