A Speaker that Kicks Butt in Large Spaces

While I did eventually shoehorn a SigmaPro18A2 which proved too much,
and had satisfying experience with DeltaPro12 that I now regret removing,
I was never quite able to fit my orginal intended pair of EV10M's. I might
have posted or sent Freddi a pic of the attempted test-fit way back when.
No idea what became of all my original photos. I have a few lossy copies
found around the web, but none of the more interesting shots.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
a question for XRK971 - can an extra chamber attached to the top (like MMJ's Karlflex) of the front coupler be examined in your existing akabak model ? - just curious.

Yes, quite easily with one more line of code. For example:

DUCT 'Stub name' node=10=11 wD=15in hD=1in Len=17in Visc=30

Puts a 1in tall x 15in wide x 17in long stub with stuffing equivalent to increase in damping from viscosity of factor of 30 at node 10 and end of stub is node 11. This particular example will absorb a pretty good 5dB peak at 198Hz if placed at corner of where top front chamber is.

I've always wanted to try a Karlson type enclosure, but for the foreseeable future there are some budget restrictions. But I have some parts laying about unused here: the Seas FU10RB H1600-04, and several sets of Tang Band W4-655SH.

Tried to just paste in the relevant bits here. According to some of the general guidelines you guys have mentioned here, the W4-655SH might be the best candidate, but it would be awesome to use a Seas driver for a Karlson (I bought the Seas drivers because they are a beautiful piece of engineering, so maybe better for something along the lines of LXmini, but with a different woofer solution)

Seas FU10RB 4ohm:
Nominal Impedance 4 Ohms
Voice Coil Resistance 3.3 Ohms
Voice Coil Inductance 0.29 mH
Force Factor 2.72 N/A
Free Air Resonance 102 Hz
Characteristic Sensitivity (2,83V, 1m) 85 dB
Moving Mass 4.5 g
Voice Coil Diameter 19 mm
Air Load Mass In IEC Baffl e 0.14 g
Voice Coil Height 8 mm
Suspension Compliance 0.5 mm/N
Suspension Mechanical Resistance 0.85 Ns/m
Linear Coil Travel (p-p) 4 mm
Maximum Coil Travel (p-p) 7.9 mm
Effective Piston Area 38.5 cm2
VAS 1 Litres
Magnetic Gap Flux Density 0.9 T
QMS 3.15
QES 1.28
QTS 0.91

W4-655SH:
NORMINAL IMPEDANCE:8Ω
DCR IMPEDANCE:6Ω SENSITIVITY 1W/1m:89dB
FREQUENCY RESPONSE:70-14KHz FREE AIR RESONANCE:70Hz
FORCE FACTOR, BL:5.84TM
MOVING MASS:3.99g
SUSPENSION COMPLIANCE:1303uMW¯¹
EFFECTIVE PISTON AREA:0.0057M²
Levc:0.124mH
Zo:102Ω
X-max:3.3mm
Vas:6.01Litr
Qts:0.29
Qms:5.57
Qes:0.31

Feel sorry asking for help with design and stuff, seeing as you've posted tools and info for that, but I'm just very insecure about Karlson type enclosures.

Edit:
OH! And I also have some complete Hawthorne 10" Sterling Silver Iris with the Radian 475PB driver too! But specs are sparse at best... If they work, they would indeed kick **** in large spaces. But QTS and VAS is probably too high.
Impedance: 8 Ohms • System Sensitivity: 94.2 dB 1w/1m • Le: 0.78 • Re 7.80 Ohms • Qt: 0.68 Vas: 79.1 liters • Xmax: 2.37mm • Fs: 54.3 Hz

Last edited:
Thank you very much! I really appreciate it!

Really like those W4-655SH, down to 2 pairs left now. Come to think about it, there are some Mark Audio Alpair 10.2 somewhere as well, not really my cup of tea, but freq extension was good. Uncertain what to use them for... Maybe something for the kids, the oldest is almost 5, they could have miniparties in their room.

Kid room speakers from A10.2's - LOL :)

Yeah, it makes me smile too :) But it is really a possible solution, they are just collecting dust now, seems like such a waste. At least I would see them more.

Edit:
So no hope for the Hawthorne SSI 10"? is there any other reasonably priced Karlson compatible coax I could connect my wonderful Radian 475PB to? Really love the Radian driver.

Edit2:
B&C 10FCX64 could be a good driver for Karlson? Though that shoves the project into next year for me, at least the high spl version.
Fs 63 Hz
Re 5.5 ohm
Qes 0.44
Qms 7.9
Qts 0.42
Vas 25 dm3 (0.89 ft3)
Sd 320 cm2 (49.1 in2)
EtaZero 1.4 %
XMax +- 5.5 mm
Xvar +- 6 mm
Mms 36.5 g
Bl 13.4 Txm
Le 1.2 mH

Last edited:
Why are they collecting dust? Not the kind of sound you like - can you be more specific?

Not really sure how to explain it, the sound is just fine. And that is what's wrong with them. "Just fine" is not good enough. Had some issues with internal reflections reverberating through the driver, solved that, tried varying ports and alignments, just did not like it beyond "just fine". I think the biggest problem with A10.2 is that it tries to do everything, freq extension is very good, but in the end I just prefer other drivers. Just like how I practically gave away some Tang Band W4-1879 because of taste and opinion.

I like to have drivers that give good price/performance ratio, if the cost difference does not justify the performance difference, it colours my opinion such that I will prefer the most cost effective solution, even if it ends bad for my wallet anyway. Hence I have no problem sacrificing my SSI 10"s, but the Radian 475PB they came with are going to be used as soon as a new suitable project is found.

And just in case you did not see my edit on last post:
B&C 10FCX64 could be a good driver for Karlson? Though that shoves the project into next year for me, at least the high spl version.
Fs 63 Hz
Re 5.5 ohm
Qes 0.44
Qms 7.9
Qts 0.42
Vas 25 dm3 (0.89 ft3)
Sd 320 cm2 (49.1 in2)
EtaZero 1.4 %
XMax +- 5.5 mm
Xvar +- 6 mm
Mms 36.5 g
Bl 13.4 Txm
Le 1.2 mH

Last edited:
Sorry about the time delay, sometimes the librarian inside my head takes a while to find the requested material.

My assumption is that the A10.2 might be excellent in a no-baffle speaker, maybe with some strategically placed wool fibers between the cone and the spider and some felt pads on certain places of the frame and magnet construction.

In my application it seemed to lack detail for some reason, sounds very nice on vocals and everything, but did not catch the fine nuances very well. And as far as I can recall I judged it just a little bit too "beamy", which was surprising. Uncertain if it was frequency based beaming or if it was detail and coherency just very slightly off axis that "felt wrong".

Edit:
A bit hesitant to post my opinion on drivers, prefer to just say whether they where liked or not.

Last edited:
not diy but FE206EN is a good Karlson driver - not "dark" sounding like AN8 - here it is in a 0.65 scale K10
- forgot to remove a capacitor sitting in the vent for the pic - I may truncate the vent using RTA

that's an old MCM 5" "Monitor" speaker in my old head - not bad

LRw8RTr.jpg

questions for XRK971 - what benefits and effects can you see from the rear lowpass gap feature of K15? are there some dynamic effects? my 2/3 K15's rear shelf gap area is currently around 10-11 sq.in. K15 used a rear shelf pad thicker than the top and bottom pad in order I assume to clean up some of the back wave.

Hi to everyone!

Thought I'd pop in and post my "modest" home audio system here as well.
Apparently K15 wings need bracing even if they are made out of 24mm(15/16") plywood.
The bass drivers are Kappa 15A with an odd pair of JBL compression drivers.
CD's are JBL 2445J on one side and 2446J on the other. 2380A horns.
They are crossed high at 2,5kHz to match up with each other better.

Anyway, the wings bending doesn't really come so much as a surprise as the fact that
I have no damping whatsoever in the K's. I haven't really felt like I needed any so I haven't even tried.
Maybe you guys have some input on that as I remember I really struggled with damping in my K12's.
I'm kinda curious what does then really determine the damping requirements in the Karlsons.

I took a couple short videos this summer at my friends place where we could crank it up a bit.
One showing the wings bending and the other is just the drum solo off of "Made In Japan".
We later found that to get the kick drum going properly the 63Hz on the EQ had to be boosted some 3-5dB.

Phone camera so no "hi-fi" there but you get the idea of it.
https://goo.gl/photos/p7nd5G5Qb6Cpsre69
https://goo.gl/photos/ByhFAJ6sWffwZin67

love the wing deflection video - that's why even with Russian birch plywood Walter Alan Zintz of Transylvania Power Company used 3/8" steel allthread braces to reduce modulation effects - struts (~3.5" long) from the front shelf to wings help quite a bit. Large head screws for removable wings may somewhat help (?) K15 is an amazing design and more capable imo than what a simple frequency response graph would indicate.

If the port were blocked - would there be anywhere near as much pressure -?