A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

I have been thinking about the Dayton exciters. They are 4 ohm and amplifiers in common are designed for 6-8 ohms, like my Yamaha amp. How to think about to put two exciters on a birch ply panel, or two ply panels with one exciter at each (four panels totally) in series to get 8 ohms.

ANIE,
Personally I have found that using a pair of 4 ohm exciters on the same panel, wired in series to get 8 ohms, can work just fine. I would highly recommend trying many combinations of locations before attaching them permanently. When you find the right pair of locations you can get better frequency response than with a single exciter. But with the wrong pair of locations, you can get worse. So try several places. One set of locations that I have found to often work well is with both exciters close to the center of the panel but diagonally opposite each other.
Eric

Reactions: 1 user
Blocked

If you are going to use two of more exciters,reading this might help.
I have not tried these exciter positions so I cannot say how successful they are at reducing the comb filtering,A major problem when two exciters(and standard drivers)are used in close proximity,they also don't show the results?
Hope this is of some help.
Steve

Blocked

If you are going to use two of more exciters,reading this might help.
I have not tried these exciter positions so I cannot say how successful they are at reducing the comb filtering,A major problem when two exciters(and standard drivers)are used in close proximity,they also don't show the results?
Hope this is of some help.
Steve

Good link

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-08-22 120951.png
    Annotation 2020-08-22 120951.png
    212.5 KB · Views: 593
  • Annotation 2020-08-22 121156.png
    Annotation 2020-08-22 121156.png
    274.4 KB · Views: 565
Yamaha NS Speakers

I've had it in mind to use the shape of the vintage Yamaha NS series JA6002 driver, for my next panels. I wanted to share a link to a guy in Japan who is thoroughly into the sound of these speakers. I think he has 10 of them in various configurations.

A few things I have gleaned from his writings about them:
- The big driver is facing backwards in the back end of the baffle, but wired out of phase with the mid and tweeter.
- Felt is used over the voice coil area of the panel.
- Even though they are often referred to as elephant ear speakers, the inspiration comes from a piano soundboard.
- The perimeter of the panel is rigidly mounted.
- It is very efficient, has highs to 10k and is wired full range.
- He has some cool analogies of the speaker's sound vs a conventional (large fan vs small fan, bright LED vs a diffuse flood lamp).
His enthusiasm is infectious!
I'd appreciate your thoughts on his observations and the NS design. Thanks!

Please note there are around 6 parts to his monologue.

Google Translate

Last edited:
Bdjohns.
Thanks for this posting ,very interesting,my dad's first organ had one of these beasts inside ,I used to drool over it ,dreaming of ripping it out for my own use.
My dad wouldn't have been very pleased,but if only!

The things he says in his blog,are very similar to the things I say about my polystyrene panels,and his recording sounds very good,except for those noisy insects,which would drive me mad.
I have only read 2 blogs +links but will read the rest in time.
Sorry I lost the patent that had the various shapes with measurements plus ending with the ear shape :(
Steve