A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

usher test disk

theses two tracks were recorded one after the other ,the sub had to be turned down as things were vibrating and buzzing and was swamping the mics,these recordings go from very quiet to very loud.
i did recordings with pillows on the wall next to the new panel and without, to compare the sound.
the recording without the pillows went into the red ,the recording with the pillows stayed out of the red!
this panel has lobes that beam out at an angle from the sides towards the wall,so i pointed the panels at the microphones and used the pillows on the wall.
i know im doing a lot of moaning about this panel,but it does sound very good,so am persevering .
the tracks are from a usher test disk,soul of great drum music and the royal march from the soldiers tale.
steve

Attachments

• drums.mp4
    3.6 MB
  • trumpet.mp4
    2.5 MB
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Hi koAP.
The translation on those patents is as bad as it gets,thankfully they were short.
Are you referring to the flexible pad in the full frequency sounding structure patent?
Sorry I'm unsure .
It's a pity it's lost its art work.
I know nxt wasted a lot of money looking at thin film panels .
I dabbled a little bit but couldn't see it working for me.
If I remember correctly, it was OK ish at low volume, but when I turned the volume up it all went to pieces .
I can imagine using the bulsa ply like in the art frame,it could work?
Rigid spacer or flexible?
Steve

KoAP.
Sorry ,Once again, without the art work it's hard to understand what this patent is referring to,especially with it's poor translation?

I had a bit of an accident with my thin light eps panel,the exciter ripped off.
Which is OK as it means I can try out some other ideas,which could be interesting or not.
I usually use two panels so as to check the difference the changes make.
But this is an offcut I found,so i will have to make do.
Steve

Intaud
I think he just got a little over excited,what he probably ment to say was that dml has less destructive interaction,which I could go along with.
There are too many variables with the panel and the room,hall response.
A panel with a similar side firing response as the front response would probably have a better chance of sounding ok in most rooms ,halls.
One of my test panel with the side firing 6k peak would be a problem in small rooms with hard walls,but might be ok in a very large room ,hall.
With the distance ,refraction,and furnishings to disperse the sound peak.
That 6k peak in my small room has a tendency to now and then give me a sharp sting in my ear ,the combination of three close reflections per panel in a small room,four if you have a reflective floor plus the direct sound does hurt.
But just turning my head so that my ears are not getting the full blast from the side walls stops the problem.
Steve

1/2 mil card

I fairly quickly put together two similar card panels .
one is a single card ,about half a mil thick with a layer of toilet paper soaked in pva (half a ply per side )on each side.
the other panel is two ply 1 mil card glued together with pva and coated with toilet paper and pva (the very cheep thin stuff ,not your expensive soft thick fluffy paper,Im not made of money!).
they are both around 10 1/2 inches in size(i do have smaller panels with similar performances ).
also i have slightly altered the exciter so that it now has a 2cm hard dome in the middle of the coil area,i have been testing this out on different types of panel for some years now,it is much easier on the thinner materials.
I chose this track from another USHER sample cd which they used to hand out at the audio shows ,she really belts out the vocals in places ,as usual i played this fairly loud and as usual a little too close to the LF speakers although they XO at 250hz ,
the panels were run full range but the response was well down below 250hz but still a useful output.
I have not finished putting these together yet,so they are still an ongoing project ,but thought i would show how just a little quick effort can produce worthwhile results.
hope you all find it interesting .
steve

Attachments

• de main ganche.mp4
    3.5 MB
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-30 152529.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-30 152529.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 502
EddieT
Lafayette Poly planar looks very similar to other poly planars of the early 70's and the painters canvas on this thread,I wonder who had the patent?
Response 40hz to 20k also looks familiar to the canvas frame.
dml as we now call them have been around since at least the 30's in one form or another,give them another 20 years and I'm sure someone will reinvent them again!
Hopefully with better luck?
Steve

Card pic

Thought I might as well show a photo of my setup recording the card panels,not very sophisticated I'm afraid,the use of a rolled up rub as a microphone (Samsung phone) stand is a bit of a give away.
The constant mess on top of my turntables shows how much I listen to LP's now days,one day I'll get it sorted,mmmmmmm?
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_20200930_225048_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20200930_225048_hdr.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 439
Pizza panels ?

Can't remember where I got the card for the right panel,but the left panel card was from a 12inch pizza 🍕 I would have gone for the larger pizza 🍕 but it seems I'm on a diet :eek:
Not bad sounding panels,I was wondering whether to make a frame like the painters canvas,similar to the Lafayettes ?
Would this get the card panels down to 40hz ?
Hopefully without compromising the sound quality?
Steve

Thought I might as well show a photo of my setup recording the card panels,not very sophisticated I'm afraid,the use of a rolled up rub as a microphone (Samsung phone) stand is a bit of a give away.
The constant mess on top of my turntables shows how much I listen to LP's now days,one day I'll get it sorted,mmmmmmm?
Steve.

Hi Spedge
Beside the use of turntables together with DMLs I‘m very interested in your verdicts about how the cardpanels with the domes sound. Being abroad, I‘m not able to listen to your mp4 file at the moment.
Eric