A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

aagas.
Does your TV already use exciter technology?
I have no idea if magnets are OK with tvs now days?
Is that sheet metal at the back or plastic?
Steve.
Steve -

LG does have a model that appears to use exciter technology, but not mine.
My model has down firing conventional drivers (which sound terrible).

The OLED panel of the TV has plastic front and backs, likely sandwiching the OLEDs.

Interestingly, when I held the DAEX32Q-4 exciter on the back of the TV it does have a weak magnetic attraction to the OLED panel. Not nearly enough to hold the weight of the exciter to the OLED panel, but something in the panel attracts the magnet in the exciter.

I did a test to see if the exciter held to the back of the OLED panel affected the image while watching different video sources on the TV. It doesn't see to do so.

I found a roll a simple double sided tape.

More to come...

Andreas

Burnt.
If you look back at my posts how I believe DML panels work ,I think I have made it quite clear.
Or read DML patents.
I asked Eric the the same question.
Let's hear his views.
Steve.
Steve could you provide a link to the right post/s. There are a lot of them. And the DML patent you are referencing please. There are a lot of those as well.

Burnt

Account disabled at users request
Joined 2020
Here's an interesting concept of hybrid speaker, the winner of the James Dyson Award some years ago. How it works is interesting.
ammos.jpeg

How about placing a transducer on the bottom of a 2mm glass panel, on the thinner side to check their claim? That the sound can be sent from the thinner side of the panel, glass or otherwise.

Last edited:
Joined 2020
Here's a video on how Sony LSPX-S1 speaker review which talks about 3 little actuators tapping on glass from bottom. And also, here in the latest LSPX-S3 review.
The glass tube isn’t there purely for aesthetics. According to Sony, three actuators in the speaker are attached to the end of the glass and vibrate the entire glass tweeter when audio is playing “to spread sound in every direction.”

It's interesting that a hollow glass tube can work as a DML, and that the tube is small, short and covered at the top. A new area to experiment on?

Burnt.
I think tectonic summed up how DML works very well,what more is to be said.
Look down in the link to "here's how it works"
https://tectonicproaudio.com/about-the-technology/
Steve.
I am well aware of what Tectonic says, I was interested in your answer to the question you asked Eric

‘What do you think goes on before DML resonance?’

And would be very interested in your answer.
Eric has replied ‘more resonance’ and your answer to his post suggests to me you disagree with that so, for my understanding and the groups understanding, could you share your understanding of what goes on before DML resonance? I would be very interested to learn.

Burnt

Eric.
It seems very clear to me why he calls his panel a bendingwave panel.
He is trying to prevent any reflections from the edge of the panel returning to prevent any DML action being set up.
Hence bendingwave only .
How much he succeeds is another question.
If the ABH does as it says and totally kills any reflections, there will be no DML action at all.
It would be a bendingwave panel.
Steve.
As recently as this post I talk about what happens before any DML activity on a plate.
I don't know what more you want me to add to the tectonic article,
I would just be repeating what the article says, just for the sake of repeating it myself?
We all hopefully have seen the 3D animated plots of the pebble in a pond ?
Showing the ripples moving out towards the edges.
And only after this, when the ripples bounce back from the edges, does DML action begin.

Having to look back for others, in this thread , and other sites, plus patents , is very time consuming, and wastes a lot of time,if i can re- find find them at all.
I know this because I have searched many times, many unsuccessfully.
So it would be handy if everyone could look for themselves , as it takes me just as long , if not longer ,to find them.
Steve.

As recently as this post I talk about what happens before any DML activity on a plate.
I don't know what more you want me to add to the tectonic article,
I would just be repeating what the article says, just for the sake of repeating it myself?
We all hopefully have seen the 3D animated plots of the pebble in a pond ?
Showing the ripples moving out towards the edges.
And only after this, when the ripples bounce back from the edges, does DML action begin.

Having to look back for others, in this thread , and other sites, plus patents , is very time consuming, and wastes a lot of time,if i can re- find find them at all.
I know this because I have searched many times, many unsuccessfully.
So it would be handy if everyone could look for themselves , as it takes me just as long , if not longer ,to find them.
Steve.
Thank you. That is helpful. It raises an interesting question. Is there any qualitative difference between the bending wave mode of operation versus the DML mode?

Burnt

Thank you. That is helpful. It raises an interesting question. Is there any qualitative difference between the bending wave mode of operation versus the DML mode?

Burnt
Burntcoil.
I have already tried discussing this, but it does not go down well with some.
The "wave speakers and how they work?" With LineArray, On this forum seemed to be an interesting debate .
It is just very old now, just like me 😱
Steve.

Joined 2020
Here's an interesting concept of hybrid speaker, the winner of the James Dyson Award some years ago. How it works is interesting. View attachment 1111332

How about placing a transducer on the bottom of a 2mm glass panel, on the thinner side to check their claim? That the sound can be sent from the thinner side of the panel, glass or otherwise.
Instead of the two exciters, why not attach two tweeters just touching the glass panel? The rest is quite an interesting triangular down-firing subwoofer, with back sound moving out of the slight groove between the glass panels. There's a video in the James Dyson web page, which should be watched with multiple stoppages (to catch the idea).

Last edited:
The 35mm EPS panel has quite a soft skin when using my scratch test and listening to its sound.
So I think I can get away without sanding the panel.
For some reason, I think, the lower grades don't seem to produce the hard surface that the higher grades do ?
I noticed that moulded EPS also does not seem to have the hard surface, even when they are a higher grade ?
Similar to portable cool boxes.
Although I have not seen any very high grade mouldings to compare with.
Steve.

Here's an interesting concept of hybrid speaker, the winner of the James Dyson Award some years ago. How it works is interesting. View attachment 1111332

I have seen patents for edge driven screens or panels.
I was wondering what type of exciter they use.
Is it solenoid based, tapping on the edges or is it more of a rattling motion ?
Steve.

+ @pway
Hello Eric, hello Paul
.... Have you already think how to get some indication of that from the FEM simulations? Getting the SPL in far field might be a too big steps. Do we have intermediate possibility thanks too the options of FEM tools like getting some information of speed of the panel? Or in other words, what about the amplitude or speed aspect of the modes? The mode density is also possible candidate but i don't see for now the relation.
Christian

Christian,
Concerning your question in bold about the speed of the panel and FEM tools, I found the following results to be satisfying, though perhaps not exactly the answer to your question.

I used the LISA FEM to model a plate that is simply supported on two ends, and free on the other two sides, so it is effectively a simply supported beam. As such, many of the resonances have mode shapes like sine waves consisting of half integer multiples of wave lengths. For example, the mode below, with a frequency of 282.7 Hz, consists of 2.5 wavelengths.

For each of the resonances of this type, I calculated the wave speed two different ways:
First using the equations below for the wave speed of a plate (below), and second using wave speed = wavelength x frequency using the wavelengths inferred from the FEM model. The results are the highlighted columns in the table below.

1668963791579.png

1668963079224.png

1668965556475.png

It shouldn't be surprising that the results are in good agreement, but I do find it comforting, and some confirmation that the model is pretty good.

Eric

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2020
I have seen patents for edge driven screens or panels.
I was wondering what type of exciter they use.
Is it solenoid based, tapping on the edges or is it more of a rattling motion ?
Steve.
I've been searching for those patents but can't find any yet. If you have any links, please let us know. By the way, I just found another article on edge driven speakers from 2008, speaker also from Sony.

Chdsl.
I see that they intend to bring out a better version of the hybrid speaker that does mot need a sub To go with it ?
I'm not sure that I would like the sound of this panel ,maybe the new version will be different.
I will keep an eye out because it is interesting.
So many ways to use this technology.
Steve.