A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Account disabled at users request
Joined 2020
@jaxboy
I have spoken about edge transfer from sometime ago, I have also given links to Ammos, Sony and older patents that speak about edge transfer along the way since. Trying to bring the edge transfer from a round voice coil bobbin is sort of a headache, but can be done -- Telefunken (1926-32), Siemens, Lee de Forrest (1925) and later Paddock had shown that it can be done and had their patents accepted. Ammos is not going to make any speakers as once the students go away, the project drops, but Sony is selling a speaker for last few years (LSPX -S1, 2, 3).

I also found out that it would be much easier to stick the exciters under the tall vases and forget about everything. That way, I'd at least won't throw away the exciters.

Take care and Happy & Prosperous New Year!

Again why are you so offended by my videos? If you dont like them I can take them all down again?

Best sound is when mic is facing speakers I thought that was common knowledge? Fact is mic is on the top of my cellphone, where is your mic on your phone on the side?
I can hear stereo I your recording.
On video it probably automatically switches to stereo using the top mic as left and the bottom mic as right.
Steve.

Veleric,
Well, Merry Christmas to you, too! Are you actually trolling Spedge, probably the premier DML expert on this forum?
Jaxboy,
You are right, Steve didn't deserve that, and I apologize for it.

There is no doubt that I am sometimes hard on Steve. And it is precisely because some do follow his words as gospel. So when he makes a statement that is debatable, misleading, etc, I will often point it out. If he wasn't so respected, I wouldn't bother to question him so doggedly.

I have no doubt that Steve sincerely wants to help people by sharing what he knows, and I do appreciate that.

Steve, I'm sorry.

Eric

Reactions: 2 users
@jaxboy
I have spoken about edge transfer from sometime ago, I have also given links to Ammos, Sony and older patents that speak about edge transfer along the way since. Trying to bring the edge transfer from a round voice coil bobbin is sort of a headache, but can be done -- Telefunken (1926-32), Siemens, Lee de Forrest (1925) and later Paddock had shown that it can be done and had their patents accepted. Ammos is not going to make any speakers as once the students go away, the project drops, but Sony is selling a speaker for last few years (LSPX -S1, 2, 3).

I also found out that it would be much easier to stick the exciters under the tall vases and forget about everything. That way, I'd at least won't throw away the exciters.

Take care and Happy & Prosperous New Year!

Did you see my posts 7941/2 which give support to your opinions on edge transfer in cylinders?

Joined 2020
Did you see my posts 7941/2 which give support to your opinions on edge transfer in cylinders?
The edge transfer is the opinion of people, some of whom who had left our world a long time ago. I just discovered edge transfer few months ago, and tested their ideas just because I had those exciters at home, which was bought in the covid times.

I hope everyone has a great new year and I'll catch you all down the line as I'm taking an extended break from this now uninformative, non relaxing forum.

Between the crazy non logical questions and statements , the perpetual sound wave debate, the return of the Grinch with magic carpet rides, and the constant sniping, this forum has turned into a legitimate dumpster fire.

Jaxboy,
You are right, Steve didn't deserve that, and I apologize for it.

There is no doubt that I am sometimes hard on Steve. And it is precisely because some do follow his words as gospel. So when he makes a statement that is debatable, misleading, etc, I will often point it out. If he wasn't so respected, I wouldn't bother to question him so doggedly.

I have no doubt that Steve sincerely wants to help people by sharing what he knows, and I do appreciate that.

Steve, I'm sorry.

Eric
Thank you Eric.
Feal free to question anything I say , this is a site for discussion about DML, we could do real world tests on panel sounds, and how they interact with the room.
I build panels by testing as many materials as possible and finding the panel materials I like the sound of .
Then I try to improve them as much as I can.
Not all are successful, but I do have my favourites.
There is not a one panel fixes all problems, that I have found so far that is.
Although the proplex panel is a pretty good all rounder full range panel, with little to do but attach the exciter.
The only reason I did not show my post for the panel orientation , was the time it takes for me to find it.
This site is very big and it can take me a long time to trawl though all the posts.
If I do this all the time , I start to loose the will to live.
Also having to repeat myself over and over again is very repetitive, it would be much easier for me if people just read the thread for themselves.
I look forward to friendly discussions in the new year.
Happy new year.
Steve.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2020
Have look at Lee De Forest's 1925 patent, and especially this figure,
curved point edge transfer of sound Lee de Forest..jpeg

and, compare that with MBL Radialstrahler speakers. The MBL is using the full circumference of the bobbin to edge transfer the sound to 12 or so curved panels, fixed stiffly at the other end, that way sending sound in all directions. In a single MBL the voice coil bobbin is up-firing, and in a dual MBL one is up-firing, and the other is down firing. Lee De Forest had the correct idea in 1925, but didn't have the help of computers and such stuff. He writes in nice old fashioned way what he thought (20 points).

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Again why are you so offended by my videos? If you dont like them I can take them all down again?

Best sound is when mic is facing speakers I thought that was common knowledge? Fact is mic is on the top of my cellphone, where is your mic on your phone on the side?
I’m not “offended” LOL. Just saying you are not adding any details - so if you want to post “videos” as a means of providing sound clips that is fine. Just an awful waste of data bandwidth to look at carpet. My bigger gripe is not seeing or knowing what the speaker and how it is setup or built. A sketch, or drawing or schematic or even plain old words saying something like this for example:

“I have a two way DML made of thin ply 3mm panel 50cm x 80cm suspended by foam on the edges and supported by a frame. Two exciters model XYZ from manufacturer ABC are mounted at 30cm and 60cm and 30cm and 20cm (from bottom left corner) and a DSP is used for a crossover at 250Hz with a 24dB/Oct slope and two Class D 50w amps are used to drive each channel. The video taken at 2m away and was used to provide the sound, disregard the image of the floor as the mic is on the top edge. Here is a sketch of the setup…”

That’s the sort of stuff we are talking about.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m not “offended” LOL. Just saying you are not adding any details - so if you want to post “videos” as a means of providing sound clips that is fine. Just an awful waste of data bandwidth to look at carpet. My bigger gripe is not seeing or knowing what the speaker and how it is setup or built. A sketch, or drawing or schematic or even plain old words saying something like this for example:

“I have a two way DML made of thin ply 3mm panel 50cm x 80cm suspended by foam on the edges and supported by a frame. Two exciters model XYZ from manufacturer ABC are mounted at 30cm and 60cm and 30cm and 20cm (from bottom left corner) and a DSP is used for a crossover at 250Hz with a 24dB/Oct slope and two Class D 50w amps are used to drive each channel. The video taken at 2m away and was used to provide the sound, disregard the image of the floor as the mic is on the top edge. Here is a sketch of the setup…”

That is the preferred way I like to demonstrate my panels and how they are set up.
How easy is it to put videos on YouTube, do you have to sign your life away ?
Would it be better to see my panels being recorded?
The only thing that puts me off is everyone seeing the mess in my room and me falling all over the place climbing over said mess 😳
I have sent videos to friends over WhatsApp which I thought were very good, much better than me trying to describe what I am doing.
As it is on YouTube does it save space on this site?
Putting a video from my phone on this site would last only about 5 seconds .
Steve.

Have look at Lee De Forest's 1925 patent, and especially this figure,
View attachment 1124986

and, compare that with MBL Radialstrahler speakers. The MBL is using the full circumference of the bobbin to edge transfer the sound to 12 or so curved panels, fixed stiffly at the other end, that way sending sound in all directions. In a single MBL the voice coil bobbin is up-firing, and in a dual MBL one is up-firing, and the other is down firing. Lee De Forest had the correct idea in 1925, but didn't have the help of computers and such stuff. He writes in nice old fashioned way what he thought (20 points).
This is very similar to the segmented cone driver I mentioned earlier.
Which could drive many such segments from one coil former.

This patent review shows the same linaem style driver but as an omnidirectional pulsating tube.
Steve.

https://audioxpress.com/article/patent-review-the-zoltan-bay-loudspeaker-patent

Joined 2020
This is very similar to the segmented cone driver I mentioned earlier.
Which could drive many such segments from one coil former.

This patent review shows the same linaem style driver but as an omnidirectional pulsating tube.
Steve.

https://audioxpress.com/article/patent-review-the-zoltan-bay-loudspeaker-patent
Zoltan Bay's "claim" is just multiple placing of Paddock's take on Telefunken's and Lee De Forest's ideas. I don't think Zoltan Bay ever sold a speaker. Lee De Forest's idea is to
A sound reproducing device comprising a membrane and a sound reproducing member attached tangentially thereto to im part vibrations tangentially to the plane thereof.
And, that plane is curved. So, compare that with MBL Radialstrahler speakers.

Now, take a acrylic, plastic or even EPS/XPS (stiff) ball, cut a hole equal to the circumference of the exciter and paste to that hole. Make few vertical slits, 8, 10 or 12, fix the top of the ball, so it won't jump off, fill some cotton wool inside that slitted ball and run the exciter. You'd have your omnidirectional curved DML(?) speaker. Lee De Forest's idea.
Happy New Year!

Last edited:

Its not a waste of bandwidth data since the objective is to listen to the music playing and ignore the carpet. Its so simple to upload it to youtube and its free so why hasnt everyone done it yet? At least Spedge uploads sound clips so I can get the gist of what his panels sound like but what about the rest of you? There are so many DML designs its hard to pick which design to start with but with a sound clip one can narrow it down even further instead of wasting there time and money on a design that does not suit there taste. This is the sort of stuff I am talking about because at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding.