A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

The PUI exciters are made by Billonsound, as are the Dayton ones. It may be that the Visaton are as well. They make many versions that are not retailed. Most of the ones I have tried use a magnet with a roughly 42mm OD and a 32mm voicecoil. Some have 2 or 4 layer windings. If you see one the looks like that chances are Billionsound made it.

The PUI exciters are made by Billonsound, as are the Dayton ones. It may be that the Visaton are as well. They make many versions that are not retailed. Most of the ones I have tried use a magnet with a roughly 42mm OD and a 32mm voicecoil. Some have 2 or 4 layer windings. If you see one the looks like that chances are Billionsound made it.
Thanks for the info, but what was your experience with the PUI ones and did you compare them to other brands?

For example the PUI ASX05404-HD-R is Billionsound RMD003215G03. It has an advantage over some of the Daytons in that the terminals exit high and can't foul against the panel. I think it is the same as the Dayton DAEX32QMB-4 but I don't have to cut off the feet. The pattern of vent holes in the plastic ring around the magnet appears the same but I haven't measured. I haven't cut a voicecoil from either to see how many layers. I do think that there is a 2 layer coil in Dayton DAEX58FP/Billionsound RMD003215F08.
so I think if you have cut the feet off the Dayton you have experienced the PUI. I'm not going to list all the corresponding part #s I have found, but I looked again at the Visaton. Billionsound made it bu they haven't offered it to me.
Also, 3M VHB is a family of products, not a single product, so experience with one will not tell you how a different one will behave. Some are extremely thin and if the bond is properly made will not damp at all within the useful bandwidth of the device.

Apologies. I spoke (typed) too soon. The suspension (Billionsound calls it the 'damper') is softer in the PUI device. about a 20% difference. That's taken from one sample of each so grain of salt. I then measured BS12J15 (Dayton DAEX32EP-4) and it is significantly softer, maybe 40%. The PUI is not the same as a legless Dayton MegaBass after all.

After 2 months, my 20W 4Ohm ($10) exciters from Aliexpress have arrived.
Audio-Speaker-20W-4Ohm-8Ohm-44MM-Full-Range-Vibration-Speakers-Loudspeaker-Portable-Bass-Resonance.jpg_250x250.jpg

I have not seen/read anyone using these. They are also sold under the Aiyima brand for a few dollars more and is also available in 50mm instead of my 44mm sized ones.

HTB1eLOGckfb_uJkSndVq6yBkpXaK.jpg

As a quick test I hooked one exciter up to my lepy 2020a amp and held a few pieces of regular EPS and multiplex in different thicknesses against it.
WOW! output is not going to be a problem with these exciters. These things are quite heavy (200gram) and I can screw the foot of it and could mount on a bolt which is bolted through a panel or glue the foot on a panel and screw the exciter on.

But what to make as a first set of panels?
2 month ago my idea was to go with EPS, sanded, PVA glue, suspended in a frame with 5cm/2" of cloth around it.

In the mean time I read that people got excited about canvas. In post 949 user Dumbles goes back to eps: " The only down fall of DML panels is the bass."

So what do you guys think of an EPS panel suspended by wide canvas strips of even an EPS panel glued on a big piece of framed canvas?
Or mylar? ($1 emergency blanket?)

Would I get best of both?

Last edited:
‘Think’ I bought four of these particular drivers and mentioned them earlier in the this thread. They have some good mounting options as the base plate can be unscrewed as you mention. Also one can drill holes in the baseplate to allow a bolted attachment if you wish.
I have tried them fixed on to ceiling tiles and 3mm ply, the latter being the better option for sound quality and volume.
For the price, these exciters are amazing value for money given the sound quality they can produce with a simple sheet of ply. (In my case about 600 x 700mm) and that’s free standing....at present.

To bad and sorry I missed your post about them. Do you remember where in this thread? (I must have read this whole topic about 3 times by now.....)

//edit: I just read the comments at the Aiyima variant at aliexpress and many seems to use them for sonic warfare with their neighbors mounting them to their walls....

" I ordered 2 PCs through the amp for 300 rubles, too, with Ali for the Not Forgotten pastime with the upper neighbors;)"

"I recommend to everyone. Neighbors are delighted, they're about to hang themselves." WTF???

Last edited:
Hi,
it’s quite close to the beginning of this thread if I remember correctly but reading it will not add anything much. These exciters are so cheap that you can try multiple configurations although I find a single one to be adequate. One must be careful of the leads though as they are thin litz wire and are connected directly to the voice coil. I’d recommend gluing the leads to the body of the exciter to avoid straining the solder join to the voice coil. Actually should be the first thing you do.

@twocents

These are the pics of the London panels

Burnt
Thanks for the photos Burnt. I did not realize the panels were that close to the wall and still work their magic!

I know X likes Melamine magic (no pun intended) eraser sponges for sound absorption and these sponges are incredibly light weight - they might work well here too. He mentioned them here just a few days ago:
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

My panels use Foamular 250, which is what I believe most of us are using when we are talking XPS. Has anyone tried the Foamular 400, 600 or 1000? It looks like it would be beneficial due to the higher compressive strength and flexural specs. It is hard to find, so I'm wondering if any of you have tried it. I would build a hot wire cutter to get it down to 1/2" thickness, if you think it would be worthwhile. Thanks!

My panels use Foamular 250, which is what I believe most of us are using when we are talking XPS. Has anyone tried the Foamular 400, 600 or 1000? It looks like it would be beneficial due to the higher compressive strength and flexural specs. It is hard to find, so I'm wondering if any of you have tried it. I would build a hot wire cutter to get it down to 1/2" thickness, if you think it would be worthwhile. Thanks!

Hi bdjohns. I can't help with the foam grades but was interested in why you wanted to thin down the foam to 1/2"? Generally the thicker the panel the stiffer it is and stiffness is a good quality for DML's.

Hi Burnt, Thanks for your reply.
The reason I would cut the thickness to 1/2" is because the 400-1000 are more dense, though stiffer in an equal thickness of the 250. I guess I would be trying to get to equal stiffness, but achieve a higher compressive strength, which I read other posters say that this is important for high end response. DMLBLES has recommended 1/2", and even with the densest EXP which he uses, doesn't have the stiffness of the 400-1000 XPS. There must be a sweet spot of stiffness, mass, and compressive strength in polystyrene foam (for hifi 200 Hz and up).