A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

For laminating you may find the fibreglass resins easier to use than epoxy. They are polycarb. Something in my miss spent past reminds me of the need for vacuum to get air out of epoxies. Emphasised much later at work when sone one was potting something in epoxy, just how much air came out.

Panels. I'm rather held up the moment with a surprising problem. Time to upgrade Linux, Fresh start new machine etc. Never been a problem before in rather a long time.

The word tensile probably cropped up from a vision of you gigging a 100w into 5mm eps and blowing it to bits. ;) I have thoughts like that, odd sense of humour. Not that I think this might happen.

I assume EPS is being discussed? I watched a more recent video where some one was talking about pink stuff as if it was EPS, It's actually a different brand of XPS. He was sprinkling sugar onto a plate and playing tones generating patterns and showed the effect of adding weight that could also be achieved by cutting holes - ?? maybe. But not on the panels he actually produced.

I have seen higher tensile EPS here but intended for insulation. Tends to be rather thick. Could be cut with a hot wire but certain panels from NXT's days make wonder if that is the correct stuff to use.

Tensike strength is not an issue. Youngs Modulus is
I may say the same sort of thing again so best explain. A higher density EPS will have more tensile strength and a different youngs modulus. Then comes size and thickness of the actual panel. The numbers change again, after a fashion anyway. A certain ammount of force to break and also bend by some set amount. When used as insulation compressibility can figure which again relates to the same factors,

Yeh :) I had forgotten that polycarb resins melt EPS.

I may say the same sort of thing again so best explain. A higher density EPS will have more tensile strength and a different youngs modulus. Then comes size and thickness of the actual panel. The numbers change again, after a fashion anyway. A certain ammount of force to break and also bend by some set amount. When used as insulation compressibility can figure which again relates to the same factors,

Yeh :) I had forgotten that polycarb resins melt EPS.
Again, Tensile Strength, σt, is not under consideration here unless we want to operate the system at or near breaking point. In other words, if I wanted to pull the panel apart, or if I was creating a load-bearing support structure of some kind, then σt is a critical dimension to consider. σt represents the maximum stress breaking point. The σt of a laminate is generally that of the component which has the highest σt in the whole composite.

We are more interested in Young's Modulus, E, which describes a material's response to stress within its elastic deformation range.
As such, a properly-laminated composite panel can have an increased E much greater than the E of any of its component parts.

There are various factors (hardness, density, thickness etc), that determine σt and E, but they are not necessarily interdependent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes exactly.
It's one of the first things one learns in Electronics 101.
Well... I would say change the ratio R/L change the FR no? fc = R/2piL. So doubling the resistance allows to double the inductance with no effect on the force. If by construction a 8 Ohms exciter has more than a double inductance, it is an other story.
Christian

Reactions: 1 users
I have not tried 8-ohm exciters because of their high inductance specs. I'm not sure that I want to waste money on a driver where I suspect beforehand that the HF is probably lacking.
Read again what he wrote. He is misleading people to think that all 8ohm exciters lack HF due to 8ohm inductance. He uses words like suspect,probably and have not tried, which means even he himself is not sure if 8ohm exciters are lacking HF regardless of inductance.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well... I would say change the ratio R/L change the FR no? fc = R/2piL. So doubling the resistance allows to double the inductance with no effect on the force. If by construction a 8 Ohms exciter has more than a double inductance, it is an other story.
Christian
Eventhough inductance has little effect on BL, it does have a great effect on the HF. VC inductance introduces an inductive reactance, which increases with frequency. The inductive reactance is what interacts with the VC overall impedance, causing it to rise at higher frequencies. As a result, the driver exhibits a higher impedance in the high-frequency range, which affects the driver response.

This is exactly why I removed myself from this forum. AF, under a different alias, was run off from at least one other forum because of his poking and jabbing like this. It is SO tiring to be around a person like him, who can't just let normal people have a civil conversation.
What did I do that you consider to be wrong? What other forum was I run off from for poking and jabbing. Whats ironic is everyone has poked and jabbed but for some reason you are only focused on me? Normal people? I am being civil , yawl just mad because I wont give out my designs.

You probably still think I ran Spedge off and not Veleric. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Problem is yawl being misled by all these newbie gurus telling people to not buy 8ohm exciters because they lack HF.:ROFLMAO: Unless you actually believe 8ohm exciters lack HF?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
just found this recording i made last year.
I was sitting quite some way back in the cathedral ,there were a lot of people with winter coats on ,hence all the rustling noises.
this recording , if warring headphones , gives you pretty much the same experience as i had being there.
pretty much the same as my panels do.
this is how good a phone recording can be, shame about the rustling !
steve

Attachments

• organ_2022-11-08_17-27-13.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 43
Reactions: 1 user