A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

definitively not. without paper there is absolutely no sound. the sound comes solely from the paper. dml panels are much heavier and do produce hights
Can you share the model number of your Exciter?
I think the specifications of Exciter have a lot to do with the treble
Because my Exciter has tested some materials
But the treble is very bad

Can anyone share an Exciter with a good treble effect?
Thank you so much for sharing

Last edited:
Can you share the model number of your Exciter?
I think the specifications of Exciter have a lot to do with the treble
Because my Exciter has tested some materials
But the treble is very bad

Can anyone share an Exciter with a good treble effect?
Thank you so much for sharing
Hello xsuper,
A DAEX25FSE-4 is not too bad with poplar plywood or in the canvas DML I have.
A free exciter won't produce sound. Some membrane is needed.
From the theory I know (by the way, need some evidences), HF comes with rigid and heavy material (let say rigid and heavy enough).
Have you tested plexiglas or acrylic? Not tested from my side but they are said not too bad in HF, for the efficiency it is not the same!
What is very bad in frequency figure? What is your target?
Christian

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone consider a rubanoide style of ‚dml‘ ?

I have allways been a fan of Linaeum speakers.
Hello,
Rubanoide appears in other threads in this forum.
Have a look at #7410, a Linaeum inspired speaker I made some years ago. My measurement tool was not as today but I have in mind a kind of medium (no bass, no treble) similar to what you shown. I decided to make this test from an audioXpress article. I stopped this way not knowing how to improve it.
Christian

it is Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4
Thank you for your sharing

Hello xsuper,
A DAEX25FSE-4 is not too bad with poplar plywood or in the canvas DML I have.
A free exciter won't produce sound. Some membrane is needed.
From the theory I know (by the way, need some evidences), HF comes with rigid and heavy material (let say rigid and heavy enough).
Have you tested plexiglas or acrylic? Not tested from my side but they are said not too bad in HF, for the efficiency it is not the same!
What is very bad in frequency figure? What is your target?
Christian
You can take a spare Exciter to scan the frequency and actually listen to the sound of the free curve
Just take the free curve and compare it with the curve on the DML
Can you please test it?
Because my Exciter treble is bad
Thank you very much~

No that is not true. The exciters coil produces sound you can actually hear it at higher volumes even at 1m distance.
The result of my actual test is the same as Audiofrenzy

There is today, being seen more regular, information about substitute materials for plastics and at present there is a move being made by Industry towards creating Papers that are to replace Plastics.
It seems the design for the Paper is based around them having some form of Tensile Strength, that will enable a Gossamer Thick Paper to be stretched/Tensioned without tearing.
The design is also about the repellent qualities of the material to withstand prolonged exposure to ambient moisture, and even endure a period of exposure to precipitation.
I have used a non destructible paper in the past, but even though thin it is not Cigarette Paper thin.

The plastic alternative papers are expected by the buyer to be very thin and similar in appearance and texture to plastic, maybe the clarity of the film is to be the only compromise that is readily accepted as being different.

The Links will show some the industry talk that is developing, such types of Paper may prove to be ideal for use as a DML panel

https://delfortgroup.com/thinbarrier-compostable-interview/

https://www.paperfirst.info/from-pl...osis-the-sustainable-plastic-free-revolution/

Reactions: 1 users
Hi JohnnoG.
My wife picked up her new glasses yesterday and I was very curious about the material the glasses case was made out of.
It felt like card and sounded like card but felt much stronger.
When i first saw the case i thought that won't last long.
I will ask when I next go to pick up her second pair.
Steve.

Attachments

• 20230603_182746.jpg
    20230603_182746.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 28
It is only early days yet, the worries about perishable goods losing shelf life, is one of the big concerns.
Obviously the Gossamer thickness for wrapping is very attractive and key to all proposals being presented from Industry.
It does seem at present opaque is the compromise as clear is very difficult with a Paper based product.

Countryfile as a not too far in the past episode covered another new technology paper based material the Supermarkets are very interested in.
It is not easy to find info on these materials, I suppose there is a lot at stake if the tech is stolen, patents challenged and the opportunity to produce is reduced by competitors not really invested in the R&D.

Not all ventures are as friendly and collaborative as the DML Thread.

@Veleric The making the material known, that is most likely to become quite common place in use and evolving as a design for a material, is the main reasoning for the post, as much work has been done by others in this thread, investigating a materials value, usually as naked material and at other times with additional treatments.
The idea it is a material being made from Paper, is Very Light Weight and when put into service will able to maintain the designed properties, presents the material as one to be tried out when it is a more readily available.
It might lend itself favourably to being a panel that is tensioned and naked, or coated and tensioned, or even a sandwich skin on structure?

We just had a big flat-screen tv go black on us, and being the inquisitive person I am, I completely disassembled it. There is a very large light-producing panel, followed by a hard plastic but flexible white translucent sheet the size of the screen, used to uniformly spread the white light across the screen, then a clear sheet the same size. I haven't had to time to test them yet, but it looks like they might be good material for DMLs. They are about as thick as card stock and a bit more flexible. Any thoughts on if they would be good materials to use? They're free and if they work, there is a ready supply of them to be had at the electronics recycling yard for free. It will take undoing a lot of screws, but free is free.